Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by PuzzleScot »

Hosted on our own UKPA website!

Rishi Puri (purifire) is running a Sudoku contest from 12-13 March 2011.

Instruction book is now available for download at the contest page.

A Chinese translation of the instruction book is also available at http://www.sudokufans.org.cn/forums/ind ... wtopic=232

** If any problems are experienced during the test, please email me immediately chairman@ukpuzzles.org **
gareth
Posts: 1507
Joined: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 9:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by gareth »

Are the instructions for sequence sudoku correct? It says numbers on chains must be in arithmetic progression. Is that right? That means with a constant difference between them. If that is what it means shouldn't that be made a bit more explicit?
Fred76
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 1:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by Fred76 »

It looks fun !
I'll definitely participate !
In fact, i'm afraid because my result on the last test on this site was not good and the same with last test written by Rishi... So, a test written by Rishi on this site.... hope it will not be a slump for me :mrgreen:
purifire
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Hyderabad, India

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by purifire »

GarethMoore wrote:Are the instructions for sequence sudoku correct? It says numbers on chains must be in arithmetic progression. Is that right? That means with a constant difference between them. If that is what it means shouldn't that be made a bit more explicit?
Gareth,

You are right... there has to be a constant difference between the digits... My bad in assuming that most would be aware of what an Arithmetic Progression is :) Will update the IB accordingly to make it more explicit. Thanks for pointing it out..

Rishi
purifire
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Hyderabad, India

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by purifire »

Fred76 wrote:It looks fun !
I'll definitely participate !
In fact, i'm afraid because my result on the last test on this site was not good and the same with last test written by Rishi... So, a test written by Rishi on this site.... hope it will not be a slump for me :mrgreen:
Fred, you making my puzzles sound like a horror show... lol ... I think you just had a couple of off days... I am sure you will excel this time ;)

Rishi

http://rishipuri.blogspot.com
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by PuzzleScot »

Lin-Min Fang has produced a Chinese translation of the instruction book. It is available at http://www.sudokufans.org.cn/forums/ind ... wtopic=232
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by puzzlemad »

Would it be good to publicise through the WPF phorum?
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by PuzzleScot »

Was that as much a rhetorical question as this is?
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by PuzzleScot »

I didn't see the contest promoted on the WPF forum, nor Forsmarts, so I took the liberty of publicising them there.

The password-protected Puzzle Booklet is now available for download.
david mcneill
Posts: 485
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:02 pm

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by david mcneill »

I'm afraid that I will be away this weekend and, therefore, unable to compete in Rishi's Sudoku contest. I hope to try the puzzles later. I will also miss Bram de Laat's contest on LMI.
purifire
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Hyderabad, India

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by purifire »

david mcneill wrote:I'm afraid that I will be away this weekend and, therefore, unable to compete in Rishi's Sudoku contest. I hope to try the puzzles later. I will also miss Bram de Laat's contest on LMI.
:cry:

Would have loved to see u compete David, its a pity you wont be there.

Rishi
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by PuzzleScot »

I've got the countdown timers working, but they drift slighlty over time - roughly 1 second every 2 minutes.
It errs in the user's favour - ie, when it says 'time up', you may still actually have some time left.
If answers are submitted, or the page is refreshed, it becomes accurate again.
gareth
Posts: 1507
Joined: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 9:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by gareth »

PuzzleScot wrote:I've got the countdown timers working, but they drift slighlty over time - roughly 1 second every 2 minutes.
It errs in the user's favour - ie, when it says 'time up', you may still actually have some time left.
If answers are submitted, or the page is refreshed, it becomes accurate again.
Why would they drift over time? Do you mean your browser is inaccurate in keeping time? Are you using the date and time functions or are you setting a callback which is causing these cumulative inaccuracies? It should be easy to fix.

But surely the script should fetch the time from the server via javascript? There is some code on Puzzlemix which does this kind of thing I can send you if you want (I use it for asynchronous saving during play). It's the AJ in AJAX. Or there are various free libraries that do this kind of thing.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by PuzzleScot »

Gareth, Thanks for the tip - I've sent you an email, as this forum thread is really just for this contest.
thesprot

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by thesprot »

The password doesn't appear
drsteve
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun 27 Jun, 2010 7:23 am

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by drsteve »

thesprot wrote:The password doesn't appear
Presumably it will if you try to start it on the 12th or the 13th - the competition hasn't started yet.
mackokajka
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri 05 Nov, 2010 10:24 pm

Answer key for chessdoku

Post by mackokajka »

Hi.
I have just finished the sudoku mania competition.
I did not know how to write the answers in chessdoku. I also did not find anything about it in instruction booklet.
I decided to write K for King, Q for Queen and C for Knight.
The system counted it as an error.
Could you help me?
Thanks.

And besides, very nice puzzles.

Martin Kollar, Slovakia
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by PuzzleScot »

The automated scoring only recognises one correct answer key, but I will make sure your score is manually fixed by the end of the contest. Do not worry.

Bonuses are also not yet calculated automatically, but will be included in the final result.

Alan
purifire
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Hyderabad, India

Re: Answer key for chessdoku

Post by purifire »

mackokajka wrote:Hi.
I have just finished the sudoku mania competition.
I did not know how to write the answers in chessdoku. I also did not find anything about it in instruction booklet.
I decided to write K for King, Q for Queen and C for Knight.
The system counted it as an error.
Could you help me?
Thanks.

And besides, very nice puzzles.

Martin Kollar, Slovakia
Martin, all answers for Chessdoku will be checked manually as well... However for people who are yet to take part, suggestion is to use K for king, Q for Queen and N for Knight....

Rishi

http://rishipuri.blogspot.com
sisi59
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by sisi59 »

Nice tournament, Rishi, even if I made an error between a row and a column in my answers.

Sisi59
NikolaZ
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon 01 Nov, 2010 12:21 pm

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by NikolaZ »

I always enjoy solving Rishi's puzzles. This time it was great again! Well done!

Nikola
purifire
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Hyderabad, India

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by purifire »

NikolaZ wrote:I always enjoy solving Rishi's puzzles. This time it was great! Well done!

Nikola
Thanks Nikola... Your words always encourage me :)

Rishi
purifire
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue 07 Sep, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Hyderabad, India

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by purifire »

sisi59 wrote:Nice tournament, Rishi, even if I made an error between a row and a column in my answers.

Sisi59
Thanks Sylvain.... let us see what the issue is :roll:
Fred76
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 1:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by Fred76 »

Nice grids, Rishi ;)

little typo in one of my code :evil: (moreover, it is a grid on which I spent a lot of time because I restarted it after a mistake :evil: ).

Fred
Caca
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Post by Caca »

Nice tournament, Rishi. Thank You.

(Chessdoku - problem with answer King, Queen, Knight - I was sending only set of numbers without chess figures - error too.
But Classic - 40 points!! - this is set of techniques for solving:
FC /FC /Nishio FC /Bidirectional Cycle /FC /FC /XYZ Wing /XYZ Wing/
- after 30min I threw it in the trash with big roar.)
Post Reply