UK Puzzle Championship 2024
UK Puzzle Championship 2024
This is the discussion thread for the 2024 UK Sudoku Championship.
Duration: Round 1 90 minutes
Round 2 90 minutes
Dates: Wednesday 26th June - Monday 1st July 2024
Contest Page Round 1: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=70
Contest Page Round 2: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=71
Instruction Booklet: Now available from either competition thread points added - answer key for train tracks corrected
Please post any questions about the competition here.
Duration: Round 1 90 minutes
Round 2 90 minutes
Dates: Wednesday 26th June - Monday 1st July 2024
Contest Page Round 1: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=70
Contest Page Round 2: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=71
Instruction Booklet: Now available from either competition thread points added - answer key for train tracks corrected
Please post any questions about the competition here.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
I don't think those are quite the correct links, Liane, they link to a 'contest_setup' page (which in turn, correctly, says "You don't have permission to manage this contest", so no harm done)
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
You're amazing Liane, thanks so much for making this happen quickly! 
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
IB looks great.
I think the Rail Silai example has a second solution when the top right area is mirrored. Might need an extra wall in there.
I think the Rail Silai example has a second solution when the top right area is mirrored. Might need an extra wall in there.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
Every part of me loves the name Rail Silai. I don't know what it is. Much love to whoever put those two together.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
Points now added to IB and example for rail silai amended.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
I don't understand the answer key for 2.8 Train Tracks. The segments in row A and the segments in row B look the same length to me, so I don't know how to get 11,222 out of that.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
Apologies for that - very clearly wrong, not sure what on earth I did with that.
The answer key should be 11,111. Will amend the IB.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
I've accidentally uploaded the competition booklets without the points added to them. If you've already downloaded the booklet you may want to download a new version
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
I was planning on taking part as a first-timer this time around; had a go at a few of part 1, but then got timed out! I was JUST about to hit Submit aswell!
Sad times. I'll still give part 2 a go though, and will check my answers for part 1 against the solutions once published.
Sad times. I'll still give part 2 a go though, and will check my answers for part 1 against the solutions once published.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
It is a good idea to submit your answers as you are going along. You can press submit multiple times.Nashman wrote: ↑Thu 27 Jun, 2024 2:49 pm I was planning on taking part as a first-timer this time around; had a go at a few of part 1, but then got timed out! I was JUST about to hit Submit aswell!
Sad times. I'll still give part 2 a go though, and will check my answers for part 1 against the solutions once published.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
Well done Neil!
I should have had another swing at the pentominoes after breaking it the first time. I was on the right lines and it came out ok the second time.
I should have had another swing at the pentominoes after breaking it the first time. I was on the right lines and it came out ok the second time.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
Can anyone help me out with solving Balance Loop and Train Tracks?
Train Tracks I feel like I got most of the way through so I might have a good idea and just missed something. Balance Loop I can’t start.
Train Tracks I feel like I got most of the way through so I might have a good idea and just missed something. Balance Loop I can’t start.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
I think the cleanest start for the balance loop is the black 6 in R4C2. This needs to have 1 "leg" to have length at least 4, and this leg can't point to the right because it runs into the 4 clue.
After that, the options for the 6 clue are 4+2 or 5+1, and where both legs are vertical or one goes horizontally, and I think the 5 clue in C1 rules out all but one option.
After that I think most progress is generally made by thinking about the longer leg of the black clues which become more crowded as the puzzle solves.
When first testing this I focused on the white clues, and I think I got started on the bottom right one (in combination with the 6 clues), but this was just trial and error and so I think C1 and C2 are probably the best place to look first.
After that, the options for the 6 clue are 4+2 or 5+1, and where both legs are vertical or one goes horizontally, and I think the 5 clue in C1 rules out all but one option.
After that I think most progress is generally made by thinking about the longer leg of the black clues which become more crowded as the puzzle solves.
When first testing this I focused on the white clues, and I think I got started on the bottom right one (in combination with the 6 clues), but this was just trial and error and so I think C1 and C2 are probably the best place to look first.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
For the train tracks I drew in the sections that were given.
R1C2 can't be in otherwise it breaks.
C3 must go up to R1 complete the 5
R6C4 can't be in.
See how you get on from there.
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
Yes, that’s the start. I was convinced it was something on the right to start but had to work very hard, certainly much harder than by starting with that 6 and 5. Thanks MauriceMblount wrote: ↑Mon 08 Jul, 2024 8:36 am I think the cleanest start for the balance loop is the black 6 in R4C2. This needs to have 1 "leg" to have length at least 4, and this leg can't point to the right because it runs into the 4 clue.
After that, the options for the 6 clue are 4+2 or 5+1, and where both legs are vertical or one goes horizontally, and I think the 5 clue in C1 rules out all but one option.
After that I think most progress is generally made by thinking about the longer leg of the black clues which become more crowded as the puzzle solves.
When first testing this I focused on the white clues, and I think I got started on the bottom right one (in combination with the 6 clues), but this was just trial and error and so I think C1 and C2 are probably the best place to look first.