UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Post Reply
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by puzzlemad »

This is the discussion thread for the 2024 UK Sudoku Championship.

Duration: Round 1 90 minutes
Round 2 90 minutes

Dates: Wednesday 26th June - Monday 1st July 2024
Contest Page Round 1: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=70
Contest Page Round 2: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=71
Instruction Booklet: Now available from either competition thread points added - answer key for train tracks corrected

Please post any questions about the competition here.
Nilz
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri 02 Sep, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by Nilz »

I don't think those are quite the correct links, Liane, they link to a 'contest_setup' page (which in turn, correctly, says "You don't have permission to manage this contest", so no harm done)
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by puzzlemad »

Nilz wrote: ↑Mon 17 Jun, 2024 9:00 pm I don't think those are quite the correct links, Liane, they link to a 'contest_setup' page (which in turn, correctly, says "You don't have permission to manage this contest", so no harm done)
Doh! - links amended.
The IB should be published tomorrow.
kiwijam
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by kiwijam »

You're amazing Liane, thanks so much for making this happen quickly! :D
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by puzzlemad »

kiwijam wrote: ↑Tue 18 Jun, 2024 1:58 am You're amazing Liane, thanks so much for making this happen quickly! :D
Thanks have got to go to the authors for creating fantastic puzzles, then everyone for test solving etc.
kiwijam
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by kiwijam »

IB looks great.
I think the Rail Silai example has a second solution when the top right area is mirrored. Might need an extra wall in there.
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by puzzlemad »

kiwijam wrote: ↑Wed 19 Jun, 2024 4:49 am IB looks great.
I think the Rail Silai example has a second solution when the top right area is mirrored. Might need an extra wall in there.
Will replace when I add the points to the booklet.
pinkagape
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by pinkagape »

Every part of me loves the name Rail Silai. I don't know what it is. Much love to whoever put those two together.
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by puzzlemad »

Points now added to IB and example for rail silai amended.
Feadoor
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu 17 May, 2018 7:08 am

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by Feadoor »

I don't understand the answer key for 2.8 Train Tracks. The segments in row A and the segments in row B look the same length to me, so I don't know how to get 11,222 out of that.
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by puzzlemad »

Feadoor wrote: ↑Fri 21 Jun, 2024 11:07 am I don't understand the answer key for 2.8 Train Tracks. The segments in row A and the segments in row B look the same length to me, so I don't know how to get 11,222 out of that.
Apologies for that - very clearly wrong, not sure what on earth I did with that.
The answer key should be 11,111. Will amend the IB.
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by puzzlemad »

I've accidentally uploaded the competition booklets without the points added to them. If you've already downloaded the booklet you may want to download a new version
Nashman
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue 25 Jun, 2024 7:36 pm

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by Nashman »

I was planning on taking part as a first-timer this time around; had a go at a few of part 1, but then got timed out! I was JUST about to hit Submit aswell!

Sad times. I'll still give part 2 a go though, and will check my answers for part 1 against the solutions once published.
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by puzzlemad »

Nashman wrote: ↑Thu 27 Jun, 2024 2:49 pm I was planning on taking part as a first-timer this time around; had a go at a few of part 1, but then got timed out! I was JUST about to hit Submit aswell!

Sad times. I'll still give part 2 a go though, and will check my answers for part 1 against the solutions once published.
It is a good idea to submit your answers as you are going along. You can press submit multiple times.
pinkagape
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by pinkagape »

Well done Neil!

I should have had another swing at the pentominoes after breaking it the first time. I was on the right lines and it came out ok the second time.
pinkagape
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by pinkagape »

Can anyone help me out with solving Balance Loop and Train Tracks?

Train Tracks I feel like I got most of the way through so I might have a good idea and just missed something. Balance Loop I can’t start.
Mblount
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu 21 Jun, 2018 5:59 pm

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by Mblount »

I think the cleanest start for the balance loop is the black 6 in R4C2. This needs to have 1 "leg" to have length at least 4, and this leg can't point to the right because it runs into the 4 clue.

After that, the options for the 6 clue are 4+2 or 5+1, and where both legs are vertical or one goes horizontally, and I think the 5 clue in C1 rules out all but one option.

After that I think most progress is generally made by thinking about the longer leg of the black clues which become more crowded as the puzzle solves.

When first testing this I focused on the white clues, and I think I got started on the bottom right one (in combination with the 6 clues), but this was just trial and error and so I think C1 and C2 are probably the best place to look first.
puzzlemad
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by puzzlemad »

pinkagape wrote: ↑Sun 07 Jul, 2024 6:07 pm
Train Tracks I feel like I got most of the way through so I might have a good idea and just missed something.
For the train tracks I drew in the sections that were given.
R1C2 can't be in otherwise it breaks.
C3 must go up to R1 complete the 5
R6C4 can't be in.
See how you get on from there.
pinkagape
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

Post by pinkagape »

Mblount wrote: ↑Mon 08 Jul, 2024 8:36 am I think the cleanest start for the balance loop is the black 6 in R4C2. This needs to have 1 "leg" to have length at least 4, and this leg can't point to the right because it runs into the 4 clue.

After that, the options for the 6 clue are 4+2 or 5+1, and where both legs are vertical or one goes horizontally, and I think the 5 clue in C1 rules out all but one option.

After that I think most progress is generally made by thinking about the longer leg of the black clues which become more crowded as the puzzle solves.

When first testing this I focused on the white clues, and I think I got started on the bottom right one (in combination with the 6 clues), but this was just trial and error and so I think C1 and C2 are probably the best place to look first.
Yes, that’s the start. I was convinced it was something on the right to start but had to work very hard, certainly much harder than by starting with that 6 and 5. Thanks Maurice
Post Reply