Page 1 of 2

Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 11:25 am
by PuzzleScot
Hosted on our own UKPA website!

Rishi Puri (purifire) is running a Sudoku contest from 12-13 March 2011.

Instruction book is now available for download at the contest page.

A Chinese translation of the instruction book is also available at http://www.sudokufans.org.cn/forums/ind ... wtopic=232

** If any problems are experienced during the test, please email me immediately chairman@ukpuzzles.org **

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 12:42 pm
by gareth
Are the instructions for sequence sudoku correct? It says numbers on chains must be in arithmetic progression. Is that right? That means with a constant difference between them. If that is what it means shouldn't that be made a bit more explicit?

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 1:10 pm
by Fred76
It looks fun !
I'll definitely participate !
In fact, i'm afraid because my result on the last test on this site was not good and the same with last test written by Rishi... So, a test written by Rishi on this site.... hope it will not be a slump for me :mrgreen:

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 1:49 pm
by purifire
GarethMoore wrote:Are the instructions for sequence sudoku correct? It says numbers on chains must be in arithmetic progression. Is that right? That means with a constant difference between them. If that is what it means shouldn't that be made a bit more explicit?
Gareth,

You are right... there has to be a constant difference between the digits... My bad in assuming that most would be aware of what an Arithmetic Progression is :) Will update the IB accordingly to make it more explicit. Thanks for pointing it out..

Rishi

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Wed 02 Mar, 2011 1:51 pm
by purifire
Fred76 wrote:It looks fun !
I'll definitely participate !
In fact, i'm afraid because my result on the last test on this site was not good and the same with last test written by Rishi... So, a test written by Rishi on this site.... hope it will not be a slump for me :mrgreen:
Fred, you making my puzzles sound like a horror show... lol ... I think you just had a couple of off days... I am sure you will excel this time ;)

Rishi

http://rishipuri.blogspot.com

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 9:55 am
by PuzzleScot
Lin-Min Fang has produced a Chinese translation of the instruction book. It is available at http://www.sudokufans.org.cn/forums/ind ... wtopic=232

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 7:54 pm
by puzzlemad
Would it be good to publicise through the WPF phorum?

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 11:39 pm
by PuzzleScot
Was that as much a rhetorical question as this is?

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 12:24 pm
by PuzzleScot
I didn't see the contest promoted on the WPF forum, nor Forsmarts, so I took the liberty of publicising them there.

The password-protected Puzzle Booklet is now available for download.

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 1:55 pm
by david mcneill
I'm afraid that I will be away this weekend and, therefore, unable to compete in Rishi's Sudoku contest. I hope to try the puzzles later. I will also miss Bram de Laat's contest on LMI.

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 1:58 pm
by purifire
david mcneill wrote:I'm afraid that I will be away this weekend and, therefore, unable to compete in Rishi's Sudoku contest. I hope to try the puzzles later. I will also miss Bram de Laat's contest on LMI.
:cry:

Would have loved to see u compete David, its a pity you wont be there.

Rishi

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 4:44 pm
by PuzzleScot
I've got the countdown timers working, but they drift slighlty over time - roughly 1 second every 2 minutes.
It errs in the user's favour - ie, when it says 'time up', you may still actually have some time left.
If answers are submitted, or the page is refreshed, it becomes accurate again.

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 5:29 pm
by gareth
PuzzleScot wrote:I've got the countdown timers working, but they drift slighlty over time - roughly 1 second every 2 minutes.
It errs in the user's favour - ie, when it says 'time up', you may still actually have some time left.
If answers are submitted, or the page is refreshed, it becomes accurate again.
Why would they drift over time? Do you mean your browser is inaccurate in keeping time? Are you using the date and time functions or are you setting a callback which is causing these cumulative inaccuracies? It should be easy to fix.

But surely the script should fetch the time from the server via javascript? There is some code on Puzzlemix which does this kind of thing I can send you if you want (I use it for asynchronous saving during play). It's the AJ in AJAX. Or there are various free libraries that do this kind of thing.

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 7:43 pm
by PuzzleScot
Gareth, Thanks for the tip - I've sent you an email, as this forum thread is really just for this contest.

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 9:40 pm
by thesprot
The password doesn't appear

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:19 pm
by drsteve
thesprot wrote:The password doesn't appear
Presumably it will if you try to start it on the 12th or the 13th - the competition hasn't started yet.

Answer key for chessdoku

Posted: Fri 11 Mar, 2011 11:13 pm
by mackokajka
Hi.
I have just finished the sudoku mania competition.
I did not know how to write the answers in chessdoku. I also did not find anything about it in instruction booklet.
I decided to write K for King, Q for Queen and C for Knight.
The system counted it as an error.
Could you help me?
Thanks.

And besides, very nice puzzles.

Martin Kollar, Slovakia

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 2:59 am
by PuzzleScot
The automated scoring only recognises one correct answer key, but I will make sure your score is manually fixed by the end of the contest. Do not worry.

Bonuses are also not yet calculated automatically, but will be included in the final result.

Alan

Re: Answer key for chessdoku

Posted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 7:20 am
by purifire
mackokajka wrote:Hi.
I have just finished the sudoku mania competition.
I did not know how to write the answers in chessdoku. I also did not find anything about it in instruction booklet.
I decided to write K for King, Q for Queen and C for Knight.
The system counted it as an error.
Could you help me?
Thanks.

And besides, very nice puzzles.

Martin Kollar, Slovakia
Martin, all answers for Chessdoku will be checked manually as well... However for people who are yet to take part, suggestion is to use K for king, Q for Queen and N for Knight....

Rishi

http://rishipuri.blogspot.com

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 3:02 pm
by sisi59
Nice tournament, Rishi, even if I made an error between a row and a column in my answers.

Sisi59

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 3:30 pm
by NikolaZ
I always enjoy solving Rishi's puzzles. This time it was great again! Well done!

Nikola

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 3:31 pm
by purifire
NikolaZ wrote:I always enjoy solving Rishi's puzzles. This time it was great! Well done!

Nikola
Thanks Nikola... Your words always encourage me :)

Rishi

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 3:34 pm
by purifire
sisi59 wrote:Nice tournament, Rishi, even if I made an error between a row and a column in my answers.

Sisi59
Thanks Sylvain.... let us see what the issue is :roll:

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 4:02 pm
by Fred76
Nice grids, Rishi ;)

little typo in one of my code :evil: (moreover, it is a grid on which I spent a lot of time because I restarted it after a mistake :evil: ).

Fred

Re: Rishi Puri's SudokuMania (12-13 Mar 2011)

Posted: Sat 12 Mar, 2011 4:14 pm
by Caca
Nice tournament, Rishi. Thank You.

(Chessdoku - problem with answer King, Queen, Knight - I was sending only set of numbers without chess figures - error too.
But Classic - 40 points!! - this is set of techniques for solving:
FC /FC /Nishio FC /Bidirectional Cycle /FC /FC /XYZ Wing /XYZ Wing/
- after 30min I threw it in the trash with big roar.)