Riad Khanmagomedov's April Contest — 4th - 12th April 2014

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Post Reply
kiwijam
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

Riad Khanmagomedov's April Contest — 4th - 12th April 2014

Post by kiwijam »

I just noticed this contest, which starts in 11.5 hours and lasts for a week.

The time you take is irrelevant, assuming you enter your answers sometime during the week.
Final score is based on which puzzles you solved, and the top places are differentiated by some optimizer puzzles.
The puzzles are typically very elegant, all new types, and worth having a look at even if you're not competing seriously.

The format will be the same as last year's contest (of which I have fond memories).
Key differences from regular LMI tests:
• There will not be an IB (i.e. no Instructions Booklet)
• The PB (Puzzle Booklet) will not have any password
• After the contest starts, you can download the pdf and start solving. Login at the contest page to start submitting.
• There is no time limit. You can submit until the contest ends.
• There will be some optimizer puzzles.
• Same scores will have same rank (i.e. early submissions do not count towards rank)
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Riad Khanmagomedov's April Contest — 4th - 12th April 20

Post by PuzzleScot »

Ah yes. I messed up on the optimisers last year, but intend to give you a run for your money this year...

The (presently quite uninformative) link for the current contest: http://logicmastersindia.com/2014/04Contest/
debmohanty
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Riad Khanmagomedov's April Contest — 4th - 12th April 20

Post by debmohanty »

The contest has started & the puzzle booklet is now available.
kiwijam
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

Re: Riad Khanmagomedov's April Contest — 4th - 12th April 20

Post by kiwijam »

Stefano is currently topping the leaderboard... *shakes fist* ;)

http://logicmastersindia.com/2014/04Contest/score.asp
sf2l
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Riad Khanmagomedov's April Contest — 4th - 12th April 20

Post by sf2l »

i believe the lead is only alphabetical....as it happened last year...but at the end.....
sf2l
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Riad Khanmagomedov's April Contest — 4th - 12th April 20

Post by sf2l »

What did I say? The one on top of the leaderboard at the end is the same as last year.
but I am not too disappointed.
James, Congratulations again
stefano
kiwijam
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

Re: Riad Khanmagomedov's April Contest — 4th - 12th April 20

Post by kiwijam »

You're very generous Stefano.

Stefano was only 1 point behind me in 2nd place, which is an absolutely fantastic result! :D
Below us were some big names, most notably Tomoaki Tokunaga in 5th, who is/was the best optimizer in the world. I haven't seen him outside the top 2 before.

When I first looked through the submissions pdf I calculated that Stefano had won, 1 point ahead of Sebastien, and I was in 4th place. I was really pleased for Stefano (in an 'I-just-wasted-20+-hours' kind of way).
Of course it depended how the scoring works:

The final puzzle had 9 submissions of 160, 3 of 180, and 8 of 190 (lowest is best).
The scoring said "14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 points for best solutions."
All the 160s would get the maximum 14 points, but would the 180s and 190s get 13 and 12, or 5 and 2?
In the end 180 was the second-best 'solution', and so it got 13 points.

Anyway, I'd give you the cup if there was one, Stefano... 8-)
sf2l
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri 03 Sep, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Riad Khanmagomedov's April Contest — 4th - 12th April 20

Post by sf2l »

james
your solution of the polyominoes was fantastic. and your solution of the arrows too. these two puzzles show you are a step ahead of everybody else.
so i believe you absolutely deserve the 1st spot, and I am quite proud of being only one point behind.

s.
Post Reply