Search found 23 matches

by Mblount
Thu 03 Sep, 2026 8:20 am
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2026 UK GP Results
Replies: 36
Views: 270499

Re: 2026 UK GP Results

It looks like there's two pages of results - the other one is here: https://gp.worldpuzzle.org/content/wpf-gp-puzzle-results-0 The difference seems to be that the above link makes some attempt at controlling for difficulty of rounds, with a "PGP score" for each round which is scaled on the...
by Mblount
Tue 01 Sep, 2026 8:51 am
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday
Replies: 77
Views: 809288

Re: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

Hello, We have an annual in-person event (the UK Open) which is held annually (dates TBC but from memory, around March/April), usually in London. Details get posted on this message board closer to the time, and previous contests can be seen in various threads - e.g this year's are here: https://foru...
by Mblount
Fri 24 Apr, 2026 8:22 am
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: Puzzle GP Round 4
Replies: 5
Views: 37865

Re: Puzzle GP Round 4

Does anyone have any tips for working with the dice nets in the second half of the set? I've experimented with labelling the vertices to help quickly identify which edges map to each other (and whether they are flipped), and copying the face on the end of the 4x3 T-shaped net to make a 5x5 X shaped ...
by Mblount
Wed 08 Apr, 2026 8:49 am
Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
Topic: Traffic Loop
Replies: 3
Views: 54916

Re: Traffic Loop

I'm not sure where to start either, to be honest. There might be some mileage in thinking about the vertices of the grid, but there might also be a better way of looking at it. Depending on how the loop goes next to the border of the grid, it can be thought of as either right-handed (ie clockwise) o...
by Mblount
Sat 28 Feb, 2026 10:37 am
Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
Topic: Arrows
Replies: 11
Views: 132776

Re: Arrows

I think it's the same as James' notation - the main idea seems to be to put lines in before knowing which end of those lines has the arrow pointing into the grid. The recent Toketa has an article on arrows, it has a few examples of configurations that can give quick progress (e.g what I've called &q...
by Mblount
Mon 02 Feb, 2026 11:15 am
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2026 UK GP Results
Replies: 36
Views: 270499

Re: 2026 UK GP Results

No, that wasn't me - I'm guessing the process of editing the puzzle booklet works by replacing puzzles from the previous round, and my name got left in from 2025 R8.
by Mblount
Mon 16 Sep, 2024 9:07 am
Forum: Daily Puzzles
Topic: Puzzle Duel
Replies: 39
Views: 491444

Re: Puzzle Duel

I also got through it by a lot of trial and error, though I don't have much intuition/understanding of how snake puzzles work. I don't know if there's much mileage in looking at the total cell count to get a feel for how wiggly a snake has to be, which might have worked here. After I spotted the unc...
by Mblount
Tue 03 Sep, 2024 2:52 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: Experimental UK Rankings
Replies: 3
Views: 86670

Re: Experimental UK Rankings

Thanks for putting this together Tom, it looks interesting and I think the inferring of results using "common opponents" helps fill in gaps more reliably than trying something like using median/average scores to control for event difficulty. A couple of thoughts come to mind: - I'm not sur...
by Mblount
Mon 08 Jul, 2024 8:36 am
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
Replies: 18
Views: 139348

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

I think the cleanest start for the balance loop is the black 6 in R4C2. This needs to have 1 "leg" to have length at least 4, and this leg can't point to the right because it runs into the 4 clue. After that, the options for the 6 clue are 4+2 or 5+1, and where both legs are vertical or on...
by Mblount
Fri 30 Jun, 2023 10:32 am
Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
Topic: Balance
Replies: 1
Views: 65556

Re: Balance

A couple of things I found helpful were a) the total weight can be used as a constraint, and b) you can sometimes cut down on options if some of the balances imply factors. 2023 round 5 dropped out very nicely for me with these - if you label the total weights hanging off each pivot by A, B, C and D...
by Mblount
Thu 01 Sep, 2022 11:01 pm
Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
Topic: Arrows
Replies: 11
Views: 132776

Re: Arrows

This hexagon rule could potentially also be useful in puzzles with missing clues (e.g. the difference in totals should remain unchanged if you shift the hexagon in the appropriate direction). Though for the cryptic arrows puzzle in 2022 GP R8 I think the better (and probably much quicker and less er...
by Mblount
Tue 23 Aug, 2022 10:39 pm
Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
Topic: Arrows
Replies: 11
Views: 132776

Re: Arrows

Thanks for the tips above - they got me thinking about Arrows puzzles a bit more in advance of the recent GP round. I've stumbled on a "hexagon rule" that might be useful (it can give a few quick placements, though is otherwise a fairly brute force approach). I've knocked together a quick ...
by Mblount
Thu 18 Aug, 2022 10:47 am
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP
Replies: 31
Views: 162702

Re: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP

I've had a bit more of a look at the "hexagon" configuration and it might be of some use. Below I've labelled 6 vertices A and B depending on parity. The only directions that don't cancel (i.e. which don't go through 1 shaded and 1 unshaded vertex) are horizontal through lines 1,2,4 and 5....
by Mblount
Thu 18 Aug, 2022 10:18 am
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP
Replies: 31
Views: 162702

Re: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP

So Freddie's post on the "Arrows" topic mentions the "octagon rule" for puzzles without all given clues, which I've been having a think about (particularly how "regularish" a shape must be to work). If I understand correctly, the idea is that if you label corners as bei...
by Mblount
Fri 29 Jul, 2022 5:35 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2022 WPC and WSC UK Team Qualification Policy
Replies: 13
Views: 35808

Re: 2022 WPC and WSC UK Team Qualification Policy

Trying to wrap this up soon, so similarly for the WPC team: can we please get initial indications from Maurice Blount, Maurice is joining us for the full week, but not taking part in the WSC. Rereading my email, I realise I might have been unclear, but I'm only planning to attend the WPC half of th...
by Mblount
Thu 28 Apr, 2022 7:46 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP
Replies: 31
Views: 162702

Re: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP

For the example, at least, I found the following ideas helpful: - Separating out leaves (ie dead ends) - there are two of these in each of R1 and R6, and each pair must have one going to the 2 seed and one going to the 5 seed so as not to break the "no two leaves sharing a seed can be in the sa...
by Mblount
Fri 11 Mar, 2022 2:15 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: Division C and B 2021-22
Replies: 33
Views: 124344

Re: Division C and B 2021-22

I couldn't see how to get a single foothold in the Skyscraper. For me, the starting point was row 3 and column 4 - R3C4 must be strictly greater than all other numbers in R3. This means that large shapes in rows 4-6 are "boxed in" by row 3. It also means that R3C4 can't be 1, nor can it g...
by Mblount
Thu 10 Feb, 2022 4:57 pm
Forum: General Puzzle Discussions
Topic: Coloured pencils - fair to use?
Replies: 3
Views: 73750

Re: Coloured pencils - fair to use?

Thanks both - having tried it out on the GP last weekend I agree that it didn't seem to offer much/any advantage. It mostly came in handy for shading in at the end of the Statue Park, where I'd guessed and wanted to ensure I'd not inadvertently closed off any unshaded regions - but I could equally h...
by Mblount
Sun 30 Jan, 2022 12:21 pm
Forum: General Puzzle Discussions
Topic: Coloured pencils - fair to use?
Replies: 3
Views: 73750

Coloured pencils - fair to use?

When doing puzzle competitions, I often end up guessing, and the notation can get very messy if I need to use several "levels" of guessing and want to track the implications of those guesses. (For example, when doing yajilin I either shade or dot cells, then if I need to guess I use X or O...
by Mblount
Mon 16 Aug, 2021 12:00 pm
Forum: Announcements
Topic: UKPA Monday evening Zoom drop-ins
Replies: 37
Views: 283672

Re: UKPA Monday evening Zoom drop-ins

Me too - though I'll probably be able to make other evenings if its organised for later in the week instead.
by Mblount
Thu 17 Jun, 2021 10:11 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
Replies: 105
Views: 1165400

Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs

I might be missing something more obvious, but after (a lot of) head scratching I've realised the 9-cell cage must have ACEGI in the corner and centre cells and BDFH in the edge cells. I'm not sure what the etiquette is for spoilers here, so to be safe I've rot13 'd the detail of my solving method b...
by Mblount
Tue 08 Jun, 2021 8:06 am
Forum: General Puzzle Discussions
Topic: Classic sudoku speed
Replies: 9
Views: 100795

Re: Classic sudoku speed

I don't have much experience with the sudoku gp (or sudoku in general), but for what it's worth I notice "pairs" come up in the classic puzzles relatively often and have started keeping more of an eye out for them. For me, the "variant vs classic" comes down to two things - the f...
by Mblount
Wed 26 May, 2021 6:42 pm
Forum: Announcements
Topic: UKPA Monday evening Zoom drop-ins
Replies: 37
Views: 283672

Re: UKPA Monday evening Zoom drop-ins

Could I join tonight's meeting? I'd definitely be interested in talking through some of the Puzzle GP puzzles :)

Maurice