WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
Schedule, rules, and registration form can be found at http://www.worldpuzzle.org/sudokugp/
Please note that you must be registered (free) with the WPF to be eligible for the Grand Grix competition.
You will also need to register to compete with each host to participate in each round of the competition.
Round 1 will be hosted by the Czech Republic at the site http://sudokucup.com/, where the 9th Sudokucup contest will be counted as the first round of the WPF Sudoku Grand Prix. Good luck all.
Please note that you must be registered (free) with the WPF to be eligible for the Grand Grix competition.
You will also need to register to compete with each host to participate in each round of the competition.
Round 1 will be hosted by the Czech Republic at the site http://sudokucup.com/, where the 9th Sudokucup contest will be counted as the first round of the WPF Sudoku Grand Prix. Good luck all.
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
Reminder. The Sudoku GP starts this weekend. You must pre-register on the WPF website for your results to count towards the official WPF Grand Prix.
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
How did everyone get on? A largely clean solve here, a little bit of a self-kick having to restart the mathdoku a couple of times, otherwise I might have been in with a shout with getting everything on a good day. As it was I had to leave the 12x12 (much easier than I was expecting), the 6x6's, and made a goof on the greater. Was pleasantly surprised to find a lot of the variants I might have been worried about all seemed to solve quite nicely. I don't think any one puzzle stood out, rather it was a well balanced and generally fun set!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
I enjoyed them - I concentrated on the variants I liked, until the very end. I very nearly failed to get the 7-point classic out in time - I was groaning at having made the wrong decision on that, forgetting just how quickly the cells get filled in at the end (and I will admit to having skipped a few cells not in the answer key).
-
apollo1001
- Posts: 74
- Joined: Fri 24 Aug, 2012 4:22 pm
- Location: Wrexham
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
It looks like the results are up: here with 11 UK entrants - well done Tom on leading us out!
I have to say I don't generally like sudoku, but did enjoy this set - nothing there that looked instantly scary/complicated (they often do), although some welcome new types I hadn't seen before. I put the fact that I managed to solve as many as 7 down to the excellent practice puzzles provided on a daily basis from the Daily League.
I have to say I don't generally like sudoku, but did enjoy this set - nothing there that looked instantly scary/complicated (they often do), although some welcome new types I hadn't seen before. I put the fact that I managed to solve as many as 7 down to the excellent practice puzzles provided on a daily basis from the Daily League.
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
Heh, we noted that a very high proportion of the top 10 were daily league solvers. I'm feeling a little bit better about seemingly being trounced so convincingly!
David (McN), if you are reading I'd be interested to hear how you got on with this if/when you get a chance to give it a go!
David (McN), if you are reading I'd be interested to hear how you got on with this if/when you get a chance to give it a go!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
I am still surprised to note how people living on the same planet as me can storm through such a set of puzzle so quickly.
I left the easy ones for the end and I managed to solve 4 out of 6 in about 3 minutes. It could have been a better day if, after having digited in the solution of the mathdoku, I hadn't throw away the sheet without entering the solution of the Iso. I still lack experience (or is it Alzheimer already?)
I left the easy ones for the end and I managed to solve 4 out of 6 in about 3 minutes. It could have been a better day if, after having digited in the solution of the mathdoku, I hadn't throw away the sheet without entering the solution of the Iso. I still lack experience (or is it Alzheimer already?)
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
Don't be surprised, it was an interplanetary contest: for example: Kwak, Zuffranieri and Seshadri come from saturn. The 3 best players Vunk, Mrozowski and Ondrousek live farther: on the exoplanet 2M1207 b, near Centaurus constellation.sf2l wrote:I am still surprised to note how people living on the same planet as me can storm through such a set of puzzle so quickly.
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
Well done Tom and others (especially Emma, Rodders and Neil). Personally I always really enjoy Sudokucup contests : whilst I'm never in any danger of finishing anywhere near the top, they always makes me feel as if I am just about loitering on the edge of the solar system rather than disappearing into a black hole
It's good to see some new UK names, but I'm sorry to see a few familiar ones missing this time.
David
David
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
Would it be fair to say that this was the largest sudoku/puzzle competition ever?
I notice over 100 entries from both Czech Republic and USA...
Great for advertising the WSC.
I notice over 100 entries from both Czech Republic and USA...
Great for advertising the WSC.
Re: WPF Sudoku GP - Round 1 : 25-27 Jan 2012
Sudoku, possibly, but the 2003 Google U.S. Puzzle Championship had at least 744 US entrants and, ooh, scads of international ones. Other than that, it's up there, at least.kiwijam wrote:Would it be fair to say that this was the largest sudoku/puzzle competition ever?
Chris (on the night shift)