UK Puzzle League Divisions A and B 2022-23

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
pinkagape

UK Puzzle League Divisions A and B 2022-23

Post by pinkagape »

Division A has 7 competitors this year, and in each round, the winner gets 7 credits, second place gets 6 credits and so on. Players who do not compete in a round receive 0 credits. Division B has 5 competitors and here the winner gets 5 credits, second place gets 4 and so on.

This year, Divisions A and B will have the same schedule

Specific dates for each round will be added when they are released by the corresponding bodies.

28th/29th January - WPF Puzzle Grand Prix
24th February to 2nd March - LMI Puzzle Ramayan
25th/26th March- WPF Puzzle Grand Prix
8th/9th April - LMI Puzzle Ramayan
24th to 29th April - Puzzle Duel contest
27th/28th May - WPF Puzzle Grand Prix

This year, the members of Division A are: Freddie Hand, Neil Zussman, Sam Cappleman-Lynes, Matthew White, Adam Bissett, Tom Collyer and AJ Moore
The members of Division B are: David McNeill, Maurice Blount, Eva Myers, Michael Collins and Thomas Powell
pinkagape

Re: UK Puzzle League Divisions A and B 2022-23

Post by pinkagape »

Round 1 is complete. As mentioned in the Division C thread, I'm going to include Georgiy and Jack as they are new and seem to potentially be more competitive in Division B, but we'll see where to best place them after a couple more rounds.

If anyone appeals their score and improves it, please let me know and I'll adjust accordingly.

Georgiy Kassabli - 387 points
Jack Lawrence - 279 points
Maurice Blount - 251 points
Michael Collins - 242 points
Thomas Powell - 197 points
Eva Myers - 184 points

Next round is the Puzzle Ramayan at the end of the month (Puzzle Ramayan 3)
Last edited by pinkagape on Thu 02 Feb, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Division A has a familiar look about it. No Sam this round, and still 4 of us in the top 100.

Freddie Hand - 923.7 points
Neil Zussman - 599 points
Adam Bissett - 444 points
Matthew White - 411 points
Tom Collyer - 358 points
AJ Moore - 141 points
detuned

Post by detuned »

To give Adam a heads up, I gave the LMI thing a go this time round. I found it a bit of a strange choice of puzzles, but I suppose that's just luck of the draw
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Round 2 is complete.

Maurice was quite a bit ahead in Division B, with a score that would have placed 4th in Division A, but the race for second was very close, with Eva just edging it.

Maurice Blount - 55
Eva Myers - 33
Michael Collins - 32.5

The next round is the next round of Puzzle Grand Prix at the end of March.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Freddie won the overall Puzzle Ramayan, and with Sam focusing his efforts on Grand Prix, I've been able to solidify third place.

Freddie Hand - 134.45
Neil Zussman - 87
Adam Bissett - 65
Tom Collyer - 52
AJ Moore - 42.4
Matthew White - 34

Next round is the next round of Puzzle Grand Prix at the end of the month.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Michael closes the gap in Division B to one point, and David McNeill put in a good showing too, edging out current leader Maurice by 1 point.

Michael Collins - 346 points
David McNeill - 322 points
Maurice Blount - 321 points
Eva Myers - 286 points
Thomas Powell - 254 points

Round 4 is the Puzzle Ramayan the weekend after this one.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

No sign of Freddie or Sam this round, but a commanding performance from Neil in 21st overall, and Matthew looks to be coming into form at the right time ahead of the UK Open. Very close between 3rd and 5th this round, I just edged it.

Neil Zussman - 592 points
Matthew White - 453 points
Adam Bissett - 374 points
Tom Collyer - 369 points
AJ Moore - 357 points

Round 4 is the Puzzle Ramayan the weekend after this one.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Division B was a bit sparse this time out, but a close contest saw Maurice just nicking it over Eva.

Maurice Blount - 52 points
Eva Myers - 50 points
Thomas Powell - 31 points

Maurice's strong performances, with a mixed response from his competitors, give him a large lead with two rounds to go.

Round 5 is in just over a week, the Puzzle Duel week from 24th to 29th April. David and Maurice are going strong in Orange League, so it should be a good contest.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Division A was close, with Neil's 7th place in the overall LMI standings less than 2 points behind Freddie, but still not quite enough.

Freddie Hand - 105.18 points
Neil Zussman - 103.9 points
Adam Bissett - 83.7 points
Matthew White - 65.4 points
Tom Collyer - 63 points
AJ Moore - 54 points

A lot of Division A are fairly regular and consistent on Puzzle Duel, so it should be a good contest from 24th to 29th April.
Nilz

Post by Nilz »

Will there be any allowance for those of us taking part in the 24hr championship next week? Tom and I are both, I believe, in Budapest from 27th-30th April, so we'll potentially miss a few day's worth of Duels. IIRC from last year, you allowed us to solve the puzzles up to a few days later, but I have a vague memory of the allowed gap being 2 days? Realistically, I'd need 4 days if that's possible, so I can catch up with the puzzles from Thur-Sun on the following Monday.
I don't use Puzzle Duel regularly so I'm not sure if the 2 day window was specific for this League, or if it's just the way the Duel website works?
If it's not a moveable window then maybe I'll just miss a couple of days, or try to solve on my phone or something, we'll see, it's not a huge deal, but thought I might as well check the rules in advance.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

I hope Budapest is great! I really fancy that one year, but it clashes with my daughter’s birthday this year.

You can finish the puzzles within the usual Puzzle Duel 4 day buffer, so on Monday 1st May you can still access Thursday 27th puzzle. I don’t want competing in 24 hour championship to be a penalty, so if there’s a problem catching up with this Thursday puzzle, I’ll discount it from the week. Does that seem fair?
Nilz

Post by Nilz »

Sounds good, cheers Adam. Now I just need to make sure I actually remember on that Monday :lol:
And happy birthday in advance to your daughter!
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Round 5, Puzzle Duel, is underway.

Freddie hasn't finished the Cave puzzle from today, so he's given himself a little handicap after some fast times earlier in the week, though Neil will be pleased before heading off to Hungary with a slightly faster time on Tuesday.

Division B has been a bit slower in getting started, and Maurice is dominating the head to head with David so far, and indeed Eva's Cave time was good on Wednesday, so she may have been able to get into the mix, but her unfinished Monday puzzle will prove a burden.

We keep going through to the Saturday puzzle, and you can complete them as long as they're not more than 5 days old (so you can still complete the Monday puzzle on Friday, for example).

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

As discussed before, this is Thursday, and we'll see if it's possible for the 24 Hour contingent to complete this by Monday. However, as things stand, here are the scores.

I'm enjoying seeing Freddie catch up after his 500.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Division A got close! A great Friday showing from Matthew makes it a close contest between us. Neil's performance is likely to tweak the scores, which are based on the third placed player (I'm doing second placed in Division B due to the inactivity worrying me a little).

I'll update on Saturday and then keep updating as the days lock out each day until we're all confirmed in place.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Saturday was a tough puzzle! Three of Division A so far have times over 18 minutes, which makes Freddie's score tiny and could be very interesting if the 100 point mark for third place moves down closer to the time that Division B have been doing with well under 10 minutes.

Division B looks less volatile, with Maurice having a great week though Thomas has been catching up nicely and there's room for him to catch up, so it's not over there either.

We'll keep each day's puzzles live until they actually close on Puzzle Duel, so watch this space, and good luck to everyone in Hungary and everyone trying to get promoted in the Puzzle Duel leagues.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Thomas has now finished, but fell off the pace. DIvision B is likely over, but Michael could get 4th place with some good times.

Division A we're hoping that Neil can get done tomorrow so hopefully we'll get some progress there tomorrow.

Meanwhile, congratulations to David and Matthew for their promotion in the Puzzle League leagues this month!
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

I think we'll probably call it there, but if Michael or Sam suddenly do complete a bunch of puzzles, just give me a shout and I'll recalculate.

Neil and Tom are all done in Division A, and after a scare on the Friday puzzle, Neil sorted himself on the Saturday puzzle to take another round win. Freddie's Wednesday disaster means that he slips to third on the overall Division A, though very likely to rise back to second after the final round, which is Grand Prix round 5 at the end of the month.

Here is Division A, which is not quite wrapped up, though provided that Neil takes part in the next round, that is likely to seal it, unless I beat him by 6 places:

Maurice has now wrapped up Division B as well though everyone else can rise or fall a position easily.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

An impressive score from David McNeill alongside his fourth place in May's Puzzle Duel sees him rise to third in Division B after a good week's work, but Maurice will be rising to Division A for next season after winning the Division B title. I see no need to relegate anyone here as Division C is getting quite large.

David McNeill - 530 points
Maurice Blount - 352 points
Eva Myers - 223 points
Thomas Powell - 12 points

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

An impressive #16 overall from Neil rounds out a deserved Division A title. Even if Freddie had won Round 3 rather than not competing, Neil would still have won the title. AJ had a good showing too to almost catch up Tom.

Neil Zussman - 609 points
Freddie Hand - 561 points
Adam Bissett - 359 points
AJ Moore - 291 points
Matthew White - 271 points