UK Puzzle League Division C 2022-23

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
pinkagape

UK Puzzle League Division C 2022-23

Post by pinkagape »

Division C is open to any UK puzzler who is not in Divisions A and B, even if they wish to join in the middle of a season.

Like Division D, the winner of each competition will receive 10 credits, second place will receive 9 and so on. In Division B, the winner of each competition will receive 5 credits, second place will receive 4 and so on.

The schedule is as follows (external competition dates will be finalised as they are released by LMI and WPF).

3rd/4th December - Advanced Doppelblock and Star Battle
28th/29th January - WPF Puzzle Grand Prix
25th/26th February - Advanced Hidoku and Masyu
25th/26th March - WPF Puzzle Grand Prix
8th/9th April - LMI Puzzle Ramayan
29th/30th April - Advanced Nanro and Magnets

Advanced competitions will involve the same standard types as Division D, as well as variants which will be announced in advance of the competition.

Should you wish to join Division C, please email adam@ukpuzzles.org

Current Members of Division C: Emma McCaughan, Liane Robinson, Jeffery DIck, Paul Smith, Roderick Grafton, Laura Baxter, Adam Sandhu
Last edited by pinkagape on Wed 04 Jan, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkagape

Re: UK Puzzle League Division C 2022-23

Post by pinkagape »

Round 1 of Division C will take place over the weekend of 3rd/4th December and feature Star Battle and Doppelblock variants. Here are the instructions of the different types and some examples. Please ask if anything is unclear.
Attachments
Advanced Star Battle and Doppelblock.pdf
(135.87 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Advanced Star Battle and Doppelblock Example Solutions.pdf
(204.49 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

The 2022-23 season begins now with Doppelblock and Star Battle

Please download and print the puzzles. You can complete them in any order at any point between now and Tuesday 6th December.

For each puzzle, remember to time yourself honestly as to how long it takes.

When you are finished all of the puzzles, or as many as you are able to, please email adam@ukpuzzles.org your times for each puzzle and the answer key for each puzzle (to ensure that you have understood how each solution is supposed to look).

If you are not in Division C, your times will be entered onto an all-comers scoreboard, which will not score points in the UK Puzzle League. If you are in Division C, the solver with the most points in Division C will receive 10 credits, the second will receive 9 credits and so on. If two or more solvers score the same number of points, then the fastest total time (spent on completed puzzles) will score the higher number of credits. If you are new to the UK Puzzle League, you can join in Division C late.

If you have any questions, please ask via email (adam@ukpuzzles.org)

Please do not discuss the puzzles in the forum until the competition is declared closed.

Have fun!
Attachments
Advanced Round 1 2023 - Doppelblock and Star Battle.pdf
(283.86 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

There we go! Round 1 is over. Seems to have been a bit tougher than I was aiming for, but good determination from our solvers resulted in correct solutions to all except Puzzle 7, which foiled half our group.

It's congratulations to Georgiy, who follows up his wins in Division D with the leading result here. I'll need to have a think as to whether to include him in this table or not by the next round. Otherwise, it's well done to Jack too who finished just ahead of Liane.

Red solvers are definitely in Division C.

Georgiy Kassabli - 140 points - 2h05m56
Jack Lawrence - 140 points - 2h19m28
Liane Robinson - 140 points - 2h25m54

David McNeill - 128 points - 1h04m32
Eva Myers - 128 points - 2h07m36
Emma McCaughan - 128 points - 2h13m23

The next round will be part of the Puzzle Grand Prix. No dates announced as yet, but I'll update the thread when I know.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Round 2 Results are here! Georgiy and Jack continue their impressive start to the season, both beating all of Division B, so I'll include them in that table too. We have the most participants to date, and it's lovely to see.

Georgiy Kassabli - 387 points
Jack Lawrence - 279 points (79min)
Emma McCaughan - 279 points (86min)
Roderick Grafton - 182 points
Nick Gardner - 152 points
Paul Smith - 118 points
Liane Robinson - 84 points

I also note that there are a few other good UK results from puzzlers not in the Puzzle League yet, so James, Dylan Gibbs, Art Ed, Desirée Wilson, please just reply if you wish to be included too! Please let me know if anyone appeals their points and goes higher.

Next round is at the end of the month (weekend of 25th/26th February). I'll post the instructions for the variants below - it's Hidoku and Masyu.
Last edited by pinkagape on Thu 02 Feb, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Round 3 is Advanced Hidoku and Masyu puzzles. Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions or if I have any broken examples.
Attachments
Advanced Hidoku and Masyu.pdf
(95 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Advanced Hidoku and Masyu Example Solutions.pdf
(96.53 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Round 3 is now ready to start!

Please download and print the puzzles. You can complete them in any order at any point between now and Tuesday 7th March. I'm giving an extra week as this weekend is already busy with Puzzle Ramayan and Puzzle Grand Prix, so I don't want to overburden anyone planning on completing both of those.

When you are finished all of the puzzles, or as many as you are able to, please email adam@ukpuzzles.org your times for each puzzle and the answer key for each puzzle (to ensure that you have understood how each solution is supposed to look).

If you are not in Division C, your times will be entered onto an all-comers scoreboard, which will not score points in the UK Puzzle League. If you are in Division C, the solver with the most points in Division C will receive 10 credits, the second will receive 9 credits and so on. If two or more solvers score the same number of points, then the fastest total time (spent on completed puzzles) will score the higher number of credits. If you are new to the UK Puzzle League, you can join in Division C late.

Please do not discuss the puzzles in the forum until the competition is declared closed.

Have fun!

Edited to fix a missing clue which made Puzzle 16 non-unique. The alternate solution will be accepted if you have the old booklet.
Attachments
Advanced Round 3 2023 - Hidoku and Masyu v2.pdf
(253.93 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Round 3 is now over! It was another set where each puzzler found ones that suited them and others that they had to work harder on. The ones that suited Emma really seemed to suit her and she claimed the win. Congratulations! Paul Smith just couldn't quite get out his last puzzle with an average solve speed of 90 seconds, so he was unlucky to drop from a potential 3rd place.

Emma McCaughan - 81 points - 27m47
Liane Robinson - 81 points - 33m57
Jack Lawrence - 81 points - 36m27
Georgiy Kassabli - 81 points - 41m55

Eva Myers - 81 points - 44m13
Paul Smith - 77 points - 34m22

These results have closed the gap at the top of Division C, and it's looking very much like a three horse race at this halfway stage, but the gaps in rounds can be quite large, so there's definitely time for a surge from Liane.

Round 4 is the Puzzle Grand Prix at the end of the month.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Round 4 saw a huge performance from Emma, though no show from Georgiy makes it a likely two horse race from here.

Emma McCaughan - 424 points
Jack Lawrence - 296 points
Roderick Grafton - 204 points
Liane Robinson - 122 points

Round 5 is the Puzzle Ramayan the weekend after this.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

In Division C, Emma continues her run of form here with another fine win that would also have won Division B as we head into the last round.

Emma McCaughan 52.1 points
Paul Smith 42.4 points
Liane Robinson 40.1 points
Jack Lawrence 22 points

The final round of this year is an Advanced set of Nanro and Magnets puzzles. I'll share the instruction booklet imminently. The weekend was scheduled to be 29th-30th April, but since there are no puzzles the weekend after, I'll allow an extra week to submit in case any of Divisions B or A fancy a go.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Here are the instructions and examples for the variants in Round 6. Please let me know if you have any questions!
Attachments
Advanced Nanro and Magnets.pdf
(139.69 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Advanced Nanro and Magnets Solutions.pdf
(156.09 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

The final round is now ready to start!

Please download and print the puzzles. You can complete them in any order at any point between now and Tuesday 9th May. I've given an extra week as promised.

Have fun!

Puzzle file edited to make Puzzle 2 unique. Either solution to the original puzzle 2 will also be accepted.
Attachments
Advanced Round 6 2023 - Nanro and Magnets v2.pdf
(410.84 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Division C is now over for this year. A tougher set of puzzles than I'd intended - I hope they were still enjoyable!

Many puzzles caused some challenge but four puzzlers worked their way through the set nicely and Emma managed to hold onto her lead. Congratulations!

Maurice Blount - 180 points - 142m59
Emma McCaughan - 180 points - 152m56
Liane Robinson - 171 points - 128m33
Jack Lawrence - 106 points - 87m26