Beijing International Sudoku Tournament (19-22 May 2011)
-
mikecolloby
- Posts: 275
- Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 6:55 pm
Beijing International Sudoku Tournament (19-22 May 2011)
Announcement from WPF:
Dear member,
It is my pleasure and honor to announce to you that this upcoming May
19-22 there will be a major tournament in Beijing: the Beijing
International Sudoku Tournament.
The format of the tournament will be similar to a WSC, but with a
larger percentage of classic sudoku. Besides that, there is one big
difference: prize money for the best 10 solvers. The winner will earn
no less that $ 10,000 !
The first day there will be excursions to the Great Wall and the
Olympic Main Stadium. The hotel - where also the competition will take
place -- will be the Beijing Conference Centre:
http://www.beijinghuiyizhongxin.com/en.aspx
Please visit the website for more information: http://www.bist2011.com/
In case you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to write
to the organizers (see cc). Whenever useful or necessary, I will write
you again about the tournament.
Looking forward to see each other in Beijing!
--Peter
Dear member,
It is my pleasure and honor to announce to you that this upcoming May
19-22 there will be a major tournament in Beijing: the Beijing
International Sudoku Tournament.
The format of the tournament will be similar to a WSC, but with a
larger percentage of classic sudoku. Besides that, there is one big
difference: prize money for the best 10 solvers. The winner will earn
no less that $ 10,000 !
The first day there will be excursions to the Great Wall and the
Olympic Main Stadium. The hotel - where also the competition will take
place -- will be the Beijing Conference Centre:
http://www.beijinghuiyizhongxin.com/en.aspx
Please visit the website for more information: http://www.bist2011.com/
In case you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to write
to the organizers (see cc). Whenever useful or necessary, I will write
you again about the tournament.
Looking forward to see each other in Beijing!
--Peter
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
We've been saying to watch out for China! I'll wager they have a world champion within 5 years.
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Just in case anyone is thinking of this I thought I'd point out you'll need a suitable visa, and that takes time unless you go to the Chinese embassy in person. There is a special class of visa for those attending a conference which I think will require a letter from the organisers.
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
I'd be really interested in giving this a go actually - time and money are the obvious limiting factors, but the idea of an opportunity to visit China is incredible. Depending slightly on the format/participants, I think I'd be in with a reasonable shot at top 10 as well - although I think the prize money ought to draw in an incredibly strong list of participants.
Going by the website, this seems to be as well organised as any WSC I've been to...
Alan - Chen Cen aka cpickerel is close to the top already. Still, if recent form is anything to go by, Thomas will be dominating just about anything he bothers to enter. There was a time last year where I thought Jan M might give him a good run for his money, but this seems a little fanciful now...
Going by the website, this seems to be as well organised as any WSC I've been to...
Alan - Chen Cen aka cpickerel is close to the top already. Still, if recent form is anything to go by, Thomas will be dominating just about anything he bothers to enter. There was a time last year where I thought Jan M might give him a good run for his money, but this seems a little fanciful now...
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
I can't say how janoslaw would do these days, since he hasn't competed in a long time (Sudoku Cup 4 was the last and only sudoku test we both took I think?). I know he got very busy with WPC work, but I imagine when he comes back he will be a close rival again. I'm also at least 20% faster at home with background music than jet-lagged in Europe (or in this case Asia).
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
As an enticer:
First Prize: US$10,000;
Second Prize: US$6,000
Third Prize: US$5,000
Fourth Prize: US$4,000
Fifth Prize: US$3,000
Sixth Prize: US$2,000
Seventh and Eighth Prizes: US$1,000 each.
Ninth and Tenth Prizes: US$500 each
First Prize: US$10,000;
Second Prize: US$6,000
Third Prize: US$5,000
Fourth Prize: US$4,000
Fifth Prize: US$3,000
Sixth Prize: US$2,000
Seventh and Eighth Prizes: US$1,000 each.
Ninth and Tenth Prizes: US$500 each
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Does this mean we will be seeing you in Beijing Thomas??motris wrote:I can't say how janoslaw would do these days, since he hasn't competed in a long time (Sudoku Cup 4 was the last and only sudoku test we both took I think?). I know he got very busy with WPC work, but I imagine when he comes back he will be a close rival again. I'm also at least 20% faster at home with background music than jet-lagged in Europe (or in this case Asia).
Rishi
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Exciting news, though I'd be more excited by a Chinese bid to host the WPC and/or WSC rather than to host its own event.
How confident are we that the advertised prizes will actually be distributed, and from what do you draw such confidence? Let me emphasise that I would ask such a question whoever and whichever nation were hosting, rather than this being a specific criticism of the organisers of this particular event. That said, the most recent World Memory Championship was held in China with similarly world-leading prize money (total prize money of around US$92k, if memory serves...) and there were significant delays in paying the cash prizes to the winners. They were eventually paid, but the delay in payment was... unseemly.
It certainly helps the credibility of the event that they have some ideal names on the organising committee - and certainly names that I would trust to ensure that a tight ship was run, in a way that I might not trust the counterparts on the memory side of things.
How confident are we that the advertised prizes will actually be distributed, and from what do you draw such confidence? Let me emphasise that I would ask such a question whoever and whichever nation were hosting, rather than this being a specific criticism of the organisers of this particular event. That said, the most recent World Memory Championship was held in China with similarly world-leading prize money (total prize money of around US$92k, if memory serves...) and there were significant delays in paying the cash prizes to the winners. They were eventually paid, but the delay in payment was... unseemly.
It certainly helps the credibility of the event that they have some ideal names on the organising committee - and certainly names that I would trust to ensure that a tight ship was run, in a way that I might not trust the counterparts on the memory side of things.
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
There is a 13-year-old (!) Chinese doing sometimes superb performance on tournaments, let's see what he will do in the next 5 years !PuzzleScot wrote:We've been saying to watch out for China! I'll wager they have a world champion within 5 years.
Fred
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
So in Philly the British team ended up more than once sharing a dinner table with the Chinese team. Their captain - George - who is unsurprisingly (to me) involved in organising this event struck me as being an honourable sort of guy, and I'd be highly surprised if it turned out I was being particularly naive and this was nothing other than legit.dickoon wrote:Exciting news, though I'd be more excited by a Chinese bid to host the WPC and/or WSC rather than to host its own event.
How confident are we that the advertised prizes will actually be distributed, and from what do you draw such confidence? Let me emphasise that I would ask such a question whoever and whichever nation were hosting, rather than this being a specific criticism of the organisers of this particular event. That said, the most recent World Memory Championship was held in China with similarly world-leading prize money (total prize money of around US$92k, if memory serves...) and there were significant delays in paying the cash prizes to the winners. They were eventually paid, but the delay in payment was... unseemly.
It certainly helps the credibility of the event that they have some ideal names on the organising committee - and certainly names that I would trust to ensure that a tight ship was run, in a way that I might not trust the counterparts on the memory side of things.
My guess is if the Chinese pull this one off then they'll be doing a WPC/WSC very soon.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
-
mikecolloby
- Posts: 275
- Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 6:55 pm
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Has anyone looked to see what the flights are likely to cost for this?
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
LHR-PEK £401, but you'd probably need good insurance, and parachute and something to sit on... or £489 using KLM.
-
AndreyBogdanov
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue 10 Aug, 2010 5:49 pm
- Location: Moscow
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
I see you have high opinion about Russian airlinesPuzzleScot wrote:you'd probably need good insurance, and parachute and something to sit on...
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Apologies - Wikipedia: "Transaero has a safety record among the best of any Russian-based carrier. There have been no incidents with fatalities to date."AndreyBogdanov wrote:I see you have high opinion about Russian airlinesPuzzleScot wrote:you'd probably need good insurance, a parachute and something to sit on...
I know Aeroflot went through a 'bad patch' (17 fatal accidents in 16 years), but only 1 in the 16 years since, so I stand corrected.
-
AndreyBogdanov
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue 10 Aug, 2010 5:49 pm
- Location: Moscow
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Don't worry. I don't know about safety, but I can't recommend Aeroflot for flying. Theirs service (especially in Sheremetievo) is not very good.PuzzleScot wrote:Apologies
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
I have a question which may seem stupid, but I am not familiar with this kind of event.
It is said "All the fees will cover accommodation, airport transport and any organised tours."
Does "accomodation" include meals ? More generally, does the participation fee cover everything we could need, or should we expect additional charges ?
Bastien
It is said "All the fees will cover accommodation, airport transport and any organised tours."
Does "accomodation" include meals ? More generally, does the participation fee cover everything we could need, or should we expect additional charges ?
Bastien
http://enigm-attic.blogspot.com --> sudoku variants and other handcrafted logic puzzles.
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
It appears they have followed the WPC/WSC model in the organisation.
If so, there would be nothing to pay apart from your flights and the competition fee.
Normally included are:
- transfer to/fom airport
- shared room (sometimes a single room is available at extra cost)
- all meals (drinks are not included)
- tour/excursion
I wouldn't expect your European mobile phone to work, but I may be wrong - check with your supplier and report back here.
Expect internet access to be 'limited', certainly in content.
I haven't checked whether standard credit cards are accepted - probably ok, but worth checking.
Passport Visas need to be sorted asap.
Therefore, you would likely need money for souvenirs and drinks, and possibly for taxis, emergencies, phone.
If so, there would be nothing to pay apart from your flights and the competition fee.
Normally included are:
- transfer to/fom airport
- shared room (sometimes a single room is available at extra cost)
- all meals (drinks are not included)
- tour/excursion
I wouldn't expect your European mobile phone to work, but I may be wrong - check with your supplier and report back here.
Expect internet access to be 'limited', certainly in content.
I haven't checked whether standard credit cards are accepted - probably ok, but worth checking.
Passport Visas need to be sorted asap.
Therefore, you would likely need money for souvenirs and drinks, and possibly for taxis, emergencies, phone.
-
mikecolloby
- Posts: 275
- Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 6:55 pm
Announcement of changes in Prize Money
Dear colleagues and friends
On behalf of 2011 Beijing International Sudoku Tournament (BIST'11) Organizing Committee, I would like to inform you that some major changes have been made to the winning prizes of the Tournament to be held on 21-22 May.
Please accept our apology for the important changes. This is because that China have no experience in running a major international event and they are still learning how to do it although consultation is sought before. The priority of the event is now focused on participation from more countries and from more circles of people. The additions of different prizes such as different aged groups, reps from different continents are the best demonstration of their purpose.
Beijing would like to meet more kinds of sudoku players in order to promote the puzzle games in China. Please pass the BIST'11 news to some young players.
For you convenience, I have copied the list below and for more information please click here: http://www.bist2011.com/01.htm
All the best wishes to you all.
George Wang
Competition Department
BIST'11
================================
1.New Top 10 Prizes for the BIST’11
1st Prize: $6,000 US dollars
2nd Prize: $5,000 US dollars
3rd Prize: $4,500 US dollars
4th Prize: $4,000 US dollars
5th Prize: $3,000 US dollars
6th Prize: $2,000 US dollars
7th Prize: $1,500 US dollars
8th Prize: $1,000 US dollars
9th Prize: $600 US dollars
10th Prize: $600 US dollars
2.Additional Prizes for Age Group
(1)Age 18 & Under
1st Prize: $500 US dollars & Trophy
2nd Prize: $400 US dollars & Certificate
3rd Prize: $300 US dollars & Certificate
(2)Age 40 & Above
1st Prize: $500 US dollars & Trophy
2nd Prize: $400 US dollars & Certificate
3rd Prize: $300 US dollars & Certificate
3.Additional Prizes for Competitors from Less Developed Area
(1) Top Scorer from Asian Countries: $500 US dollars & Trophy
(2)Top Scorer from South America: $500 US dollars & Trophy
(3)Top Scorer from African countries: $500 US dollars & Trophy
(4)Top Scorer from Australia & Oceania: $500 US dollars & Trophy
On behalf of 2011 Beijing International Sudoku Tournament (BIST'11) Organizing Committee, I would like to inform you that some major changes have been made to the winning prizes of the Tournament to be held on 21-22 May.
Please accept our apology for the important changes. This is because that China have no experience in running a major international event and they are still learning how to do it although consultation is sought before. The priority of the event is now focused on participation from more countries and from more circles of people. The additions of different prizes such as different aged groups, reps from different continents are the best demonstration of their purpose.
Beijing would like to meet more kinds of sudoku players in order to promote the puzzle games in China. Please pass the BIST'11 news to some young players.
For you convenience, I have copied the list below and for more information please click here: http://www.bist2011.com/01.htm
All the best wishes to you all.
George Wang
Competition Department
BIST'11
================================
1.New Top 10 Prizes for the BIST’11
1st Prize: $6,000 US dollars
2nd Prize: $5,000 US dollars
3rd Prize: $4,500 US dollars
4th Prize: $4,000 US dollars
5th Prize: $3,000 US dollars
6th Prize: $2,000 US dollars
7th Prize: $1,500 US dollars
8th Prize: $1,000 US dollars
9th Prize: $600 US dollars
10th Prize: $600 US dollars
2.Additional Prizes for Age Group
(1)Age 18 & Under
1st Prize: $500 US dollars & Trophy
2nd Prize: $400 US dollars & Certificate
3rd Prize: $300 US dollars & Certificate
(2)Age 40 & Above
1st Prize: $500 US dollars & Trophy
2nd Prize: $400 US dollars & Certificate
3rd Prize: $300 US dollars & Certificate
3.Additional Prizes for Competitors from Less Developed Area
(1) Top Scorer from Asian Countries: $500 US dollars & Trophy
(2)Top Scorer from South America: $500 US dollars & Trophy
(3)Top Scorer from African countries: $500 US dollars & Trophy
(4)Top Scorer from Australia & Oceania: $500 US dollars & Trophy
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Aha! An over 40s category - now I'm interested!! (Although it wouldn't cover the air fare!)
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Not sure how long they've been available, or if anyone knew about them, but the Rules and Examples have been published for this now.
A list of registered participants is also available. 55 participants (and 10 coaches/guests) representing 21 countries so far.
edit: Noticed this in the rules:
"Note: Both the Semi-final and the Final will be recorded and broadcasted by Beijing TV Sports Channel." !
A list of registered participants is also available. 55 participants (and 10 coaches/guests) representing 21 countries so far.
edit: Noticed this in the rules:
"Note: Both the Semi-final and the Final will be recorded and broadcasted by Beijing TV Sports Channel." !
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
yeah, I've been aware of the rules/examples for a while now. I'm hoping a large focus on rounds of classics will work favourably for me!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Thought I'd mention it, just in case... I see there are no points allocated to the puzzles, so it's brave, possibly foolhardy, picking a speciality, especially as the standard (non)variant sudoku will be most people's favourite.detuned wrote:yeah, I've been aware of the rules/examples for a while now. I'm hoping a large focus on rounds of classics will work favourably for me!
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Just a quick message to wish good luck to Tom C and any other UK competitors. Hope you win enough to at least cover the air fare!
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
I'm backing Mike for the over 40s trophy! Tom's going to have a hard time, but with a fair wind, who knows!
Yeah, good luck both of you
Yeah, good luck both of you
Re: Beijing International Sudoku Tournament May 19-22
Good Luck Mike and Tom... C ya in Beijing on ThursdayPuzzleScot wrote:I'm backing Mike for the over 40s trophy! Tom's going to have a hard time, but with a fair wind, who knows!
Yeah, good luck both of you
Rishi