Monday Evening UKPA puzzle drop-ins

Discuss all puzzle-related subject here
detuned

Monday Evening UKPA puzzle drop-ins

Post by detuned »

I don't know why it's taken this long to think up an idea like this really, but I thought this would be something worth trying.

Starting tomorrow (with a bit of a short notice trial run) I'm going to start hosting some video meetings every couple of weeks on a Monday evening. Mondays tend to mark the end of a Sudoku GP or a Puzzle GP, so this meeting will be a bit of a chance to talk to other people about how the puzzles went which ones you enjoyed, which ones you didn't, and generally to make the whole puzzle solving experience we all enjoy a little bit more social.

I'm going to tentatively suggest 8pm - 9pm tomorrow (Monday 10th May), and if we go on for a bit longer if there's appetite. This will be a little bit rough and ready to start off with as I try to put together some zoom links or whatever. As it's a sudoku GP weekend, the focus for tomorrow will be that, although I'm certainly not averse to discussing any other puzzles you might have come across recently!

Perhaps if it takes off the UKPA will look to host these meetings a little more professionally, or perhaps even to organise some in person "club nights" if there are enough people in similar locations [the London area would probably be the starting point here, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself both in terms of covid restrictions and also potential demand]

I'll post some more details here tomorrow
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Feadoor

Re: Monday Evening UKPA puzzle drop-ins

Post by Feadoor »

I don't know if I'll be able to join this first one, or how available I'll be in general, but I just want to say I really like the idea!
detuned

Post by detuned »

Well, I've no idea if anyone is going to join, but I'll be there at any rate - and having gone through the Sudoku GP yesterday I am definitely interested in discussing further,

I've set up a Zoom link for 8pm. I will need to admit you via a waiting room, so please join using a name that you think I'll recognise otherwise I won't admit you to the meeting. If in doubt, post a message in this thread!
Tom Collyer is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: UK Puzzle Association Monday evening drop-ins
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us05web.zoom.us/j/9449677391?pw ... 1kOWljUT09

Meeting ID: 944 967 7391
Passcode: hTg4S6
Standard free Zoom usage applies for now: it'll chuck us out after 40 minutes. I'm hoping it'll just be a case of reusing the link, but I'll post here with another option in case that doesn't seem to work
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
Feadoor

Post by Feadoor »

Hoping to join you at or shortly after 8
Feadoor

Post by Feadoor »

Thanks for hosting this, Tom! Nice to see you and chat. Hope to see some more faces another time :)
detuned

Post by detuned »

It’s easy enough to set up a video meeting :) although I equally appreciate people may already have too many of them in their lives.

Tentative plan is to do these fortnightly after the GPs - although perhaps I can try and do something ad hoc next week for David’s Masyu contest
david mcneill

Post by david mcneill »

Sorry, I didn't catch this message. I wasn't free last night anyway. I'll try to join on another occasion. I'm a bit uncomfortable discussing the Sudoku and Puzzle GPs in my role as test solver. Definitely uncomfortable discussing my own Masyu contest. But there may be other stuff.
detuned

Post by detuned »

David, it’d be great to have you along! I suggested the GPs as a natural focus for the discussions in general, but otherwise the idea is to try and replicate the inevitable post-contest discussions that might happen on site. I’m sure the topics will vary as we go on :)

Re your masyu contest - im sure if you did feel comfortable giving some behind the scenes info about how you set the puzzles and intended solving techniques and so on, that would prove to be fascinating for everyone who then had a go at the puzzles. I didn’t mean to put any pressure on you specifically though, it’s obviously completely your choice if you want to be involved or not
emma

Post by emma »

Great idea. I have something else on Mondays, but I should be able to come along in July/August.
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Just seen this post and it sounds like a great idea and hopefully will pick up momentum. I'm extremely busy over these next few weeks, including getting the UKPC organised using different computer this year that I'm still getting used to.
detuned

Post by detuned »

So I've just seen that the Puzzle GP has been extended to Tuesday night - as such I don't think it really makes sense to have the discussion on Monday 24th.

I propose Wednesday 26th May for the next drop-ins. As I've said, the puzzle GPs are a good starting point for discussions, but I'm more than happy for that to move on to whatever people want to discuss. David's recent Masyu contest might be another thing people are interested in for example