UK Sudoku Championship 2024
UK Sudoku Championship 2024
This is the discussion thread for the 2024 UK Sudoku Championship.
Duration: 2 hours
Dates: Friday 7th - Monday 10th June 2024
Contest Page: https://ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=69
Instruction Booklet: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/file_download ... bd49a0e2c6
Please post any questions about the competition here.
Duration: 2 hours
Dates: Friday 7th - Monday 10th June 2024
Contest Page: https://ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=69
Instruction Booklet: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/file_download ... bd49a0e2c6
Please post any questions about the competition here.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
Thanks to all involved!
Small nitpick: in the solution for Clone Sudoku in the IB, the 8 and 9 in the lower-right region are transposed.
Small nitpick: in the solution for Clone Sudoku in the IB, the 8 and 9 in the lower-right region are transposed.
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
Thanks for pointing out Sam, I’ll update.
I’m sure that’s not the only thing which gives away that particular example being put together in haste!
I’m sure that’s not the only thing which gives away that particular example being put together in haste!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
The Quadruple Sudoku in the IB may be impossible - the solution is certainly incorrect - R3C3-R4C4 has a clue of 1234 and an answer of 9123.
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
Agreed, that’s another mistake, I’ll update when I get a chance.
Looks like I’m 2/2 for silly errors on the examples hastily put together this year!
Looks like I’m 2/2 for silly errors on the examples hastily put together this year!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
Hello. I just wanted to note out one of my submissions, as it is marked correct although my answer key was wrong (Extra Regions Sudoku).
(The current answer is 135947286,135947286, and it was deemed correct)
When I checked my provisional score back then, my answer key for that puzzle was already wrong. And I'm pretty sure I had distinct answer row/columns by that time. But now, they are the same.
Can someone look on that for me? I really didn't deserve such 92 points (Even though i wanted to, haha)
(The current answer is 135947286,135947286, and it was deemed correct)
When I checked my provisional score back then, my answer key for that puzzle was already wrong. And I'm pretty sure I had distinct answer row/columns by that time. But now, they are the same.
Can someone look on that for me? I really didn't deserve such 92 points (Even though i wanted to, haha)
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
Ah thanks for this!
There were one or two cases where people had annoyingly switched the answer key to B,A format rather than A,B. I manually changed these B,A formats to be correct as well.
In your case, I totally missed the fact the key was actually B,B! Given the need to be consistent across answers keys that are nearly but not quite correct, I unfortunately do need to give that as a 0. The overriding argument is that otherwise you implicitly penalise people who spend extra time checking their answers.
Thank you for your honesty! Very commendable.
There were one or two cases where people had annoyingly switched the answer key to B,A format rather than A,B. I manually changed these B,A formats to be correct as well.
In your case, I totally missed the fact the key was actually B,B! Given the need to be consistent across answers keys that are nearly but not quite correct, I unfortunately do need to give that as a 0. The overriding argument is that otherwise you implicitly penalise people who spend extra time checking their answers.
Thank you for your honesty! Very commendable.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
I will also do a full results announcement later this evening, as well as send it round the mailing list.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
Thank you to all three of you. Those puzzles were both beautiful and satisfying to solve.
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
Thanks to everyone involved. I've got plenty to have a go at once I've got the UKPC sorted.
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
Can someone give me a clue where to start with both 10 Extra Regions and 13 Renban Groups. I've looked at them both a few times and not got anywhere at all. Ta
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
From memory and the solutions I've still got lying around,
10 extra regions: The starting point was the three cells in box 4 that are part of the region mostly in box 1 and asking where they go in the other boxes and extra regions. There's a symmetrical deduction on the right half of the grid.
13 renban groups: The question to ask is what numbers have to be in the renbans that peek into box 9 and where those digits would have to go in the other renban next to it. And then there's a similar thing with the renbans that peek into box 1
10 extra regions: The starting point was the three cells in box 4 that are part of the region mostly in box 1 and asking where they go in the other boxes and extra regions. There's a symmetrical deduction on the right half of the grid.
13 renban groups: The question to ask is what numbers have to be in the renbans that peek into box 9 and where those digits would have to go in the other renban next to it. And then there's a similar thing with the renbans that peek into box 1
Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2024
Thanks for that Calum. That was what I'd been doing but missing the next step on both (which were obvious when I thought about them).