As you may have noticed, the cave (Höhle) applet on CrocoPuzzle has slightly different rules compared to international standard. The difference is, that international 2x2 areas inside the cave are allowed while it is forbidden on CP. To address this issue I'd like to rename the puzzle type on CP. In german it'll be "Enge Höhle" which I'm unsure how I should translate it into english. What do you think, is "narrow cave" or "tight cave" better? Or something completely different?
Thanks for you help!
Narrow cave or tight cave?
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Narrow cave or tight cave?
I'd suggest 'narrow cave' from those choices. 'Tunnels' might be a better choice, if that's not used by some other type?
Re: Narrow cave or tight cave?
"Tunnel" ist already used for another pozzle type ("Snake" in the englich speaking world). However, the original name by Nikoli for "Cave" is "Bag", so why not use "Bag" instead of "Cave"? 
And, btw, another name used for "Cave" in the English speaking world is "Corral". Why not use that?
And, btw2, any attempt to make puzzle names unanbiguous will fail, there are much too many ambiguous names already out there, and there is no naming control instance.
And, btw, another name used for "Cave" in the English speaking world is "Corral". Why not use that?
And, btw2, any attempt to make puzzle names unanbiguous will fail, there are much too many ambiguous names already out there, and there is no naming control instance.
Re: Narrow cave or tight cave?
That was my first instinct too, but well instinct is sometimes missleading in a foreign language. I also prefere narrow over tight, because the later might cause confusion with tight-fit-puzzles. (Sidenote: Can one imagine a tight-fit-cave?!?)PuzzleScot wrote:I'd suggest 'narrow cave' from those choices.
Thanks for your help!
Re: Narrow cave or tight cave?
Bag is now colled Cave, so the original name is free and Bag can be used for Höhle ...
---
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long years
Stole many a man's soul and faith
---
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long years
Stole many a man's soul and faith
Re: Narrow cave or tight cave?
"Narrow" definitely seems preferable to "tight".
I think when this issue first cropped up, "Corridors" was suggested for the narrow cave variant, and that still seems good (though not a direct translation of the German).
"Twisty Passages" would be a fun reference for those of us old fogies who used to play text adventures.
I think when this issue first cropped up, "Corridors" was suggested for the narrow cave variant, and that still seems good (though not a direct translation of the German).
"Twisty Passages" would be a fun reference for those of us old fogies who used to play text adventures.
-
PuzzleScot
- Site Admin
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
- Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Re: Narrow cave or tight cave?
Pleased to meet you Hope you guess my nameMephisto wrote: Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long years
Stole many a man's soul and faith
But what's puzzling you Is the nature of my game
Re: Narrow cave or tight cave?
Yes, indeed, "corridors" sounds good. (But I think, I can remember a different puzzle with that name.) Anyway, meanwhile I've decided to use "narrow cave".sknight wrote:I think when this issue first cropped up, "Corridors" was suggested for the narrow cave variant, and that still seems good (though not a direct translation of the German).
Re: Narrow cave or tight cave?
Roland invented a puzzle type he named corridors:
http://www.logic-masters.de/Wettbewerbe ... g=en&id=44
With some minor changes (regarding the sizes of the regions) it was used in the WPC 2013.
http://www.logic-masters.de/Wettbewerbe ... g=en&id=44
With some minor changes (regarding the sizes of the regions) it was used in the WPC 2013.