UK Open Puzzle Championship Instruction Book

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
gareth

UK Open Puzzle Championship Instruction Book

Post by gareth » Fri 20 Apr, 2012 10:46 pm

The UK Open Puzzle Championship 2012 will take place on the 28th and 29th of April in Manchester, UK.

There are 5 rounds of puzzles. The instructions for all 5 rounds are attached to this post, along with timings and point distributions.

Later in the week I will post again in this thread to link to a second version of the instruction booklet which will be identical except for the addition of keys for each puzzle to enter when taking part in the online version of this contest. These will not be used by on-site competitors. The online version will run from the 28th April to the 6th May. [edit: these are now online at http://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php ]

If you have any question about the competition or the puzzles please ask here.

The top-ranked UK eligible competitor on-site will be offered a place in the UK World Puzzle Championship team for 2012.

Update: A Chinese version of the Instruction Booklet is available here: http://www.sudokufans.org.cn/forums/ind ... wtopic=430
Attachments
UK Open Puzzle Instructions.pdf
UK Open Puzzle Instructions
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 1052 times

gareth

Re: UK Open Puzzle Championship Instruction Book

Post by gareth » Sat 21 Apr, 2012 6:59 pm

Instruction PDF updated 8pm 21/4 to add missing 'tree' to Tents example, puzzle 2:5.

gareth

Post by gareth » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 12:28 am

The online version with key descriptions and scoring rules is available at http://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:03 pm

Often instruction books are full of small and trivial cases, but in this case there are good quality puzzles being used as examples. Which bodes well for the tournament! I particularly enjoyed Star Battle, Hashi, and Paint By 3. Perhaps they were real puzzles that didn't make the final cut? Anyway, thanks to Gareth.

Note: In the final puzzle (Inequality Castle) the given domino set is all the 1-6 dominoes, but the solution requires the 1-7 dominoes.

gareth

Post by gareth » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:15 pm

kiwijam wrote:Often instruction books are full of small and trivial cases, but in this case there are good quality puzzles being used as examples. Which bodes well for the tournament! I particularly enjoyed Star Battle, Hashi, and Paint By 3. Perhaps they were real puzzles that didn't make the final cut? Anyway, thanks to Gareth.
Thanks - although there are some exceptions I made a real effort to include a 'proper' example for each puzzle and sudoku. The majority were made specifically for the tournament instruction booklets, and tested almost as much as the actual championship puzzles. In the cases you mention, for example, Andrey made two Paint By 3s for the tournament and I used one of them for the example. The Hashi I made especially for the example too, but the Star Battle I actually wrote for a previous issue of Sudoku Xtra magazine.
Note: In the final puzzle (Inequality Castle) the given domino set is all the 1-6 dominoes, but the solution requires the 1-7 dominoes.
Ah, yes. Sorry, my mistake! I added the domino set graphic long after testing the puzzle and you're right - it's the wrong one.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 27 Apr, 2012 8:58 am

In the "King's Tour", is it forbidden for the path to cross itself?
That rule is implied by the example, but not stated.

gareth

Post by gareth » Fri 27 Apr, 2012 11:24 am

PuzzleScot wrote:In the "King's Tour", is it forbidden for the path to cross itself?
That rule is implied by the example, but not stated.
The path CAN cross itself.

gareth

Post by gareth » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 3:58 pm

There will now be no puzzle 3:9 - the first Country Road in round 3 of the puzzle championship, since the puzzle prepared for the competition has turned out to be broken.

I have delayed the start of the third puzzle round online until Monday when I am back from the on-site tournament in Manchester and am able to edit the puzzle PDF booklet, so that nobody is disadvantaged by not reading of this change. The 4th and 5th rounds will still be available as previously announced.

Akuma21

Post by Akuma21 » Wed 02 May, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi, it's possible that's in "Paint by 3" a 3 is not shaded?? I stay on this puzzle a lot and i don't find other solutions

gareth

Post by gareth » Wed 02 May, 2012 5:35 pm

Akuma21 wrote:Hi, it's possible that's in "Paint by 3" a 3 is not shaded?? I stay on this puzzle a lot and i don't find other solutions
The puzzle is valid and there is a unique solution which agrees with all of the rules. I'll publish the full solutions once the tournament closes, after the weekend. I'm afraid you'll have to wait until then, because people are still competing.

I see you didn't submit for this puzzle, but if you have any queries on your scoring then please do use the comments box at the bottom of the results page - that way only Alan and I can see it.

Akuma21

Post by Akuma21 » Thu 03 May, 2012 7:57 pm

GarethMoore wrote:
Akuma21 wrote:Hi, it's possible that's in "Paint by 3" a 3 is not shaded?? I stay on this puzzle a lot and i don't find other solutions
The puzzle is valid and there is a unique solution which agrees with all of the rules. I'll publish the full solutions once the tournament closes, after the weekend. I'm afraid you'll have to wait until then, because people are still competing.

I see you didn't submit for this puzzle, but if you have any queries on your scoring then please do use the comments box at the bottom of the results page - that way only Alan and I can see it.
i'm very curious to see the solution!To wait is not a problem!
ehehehe i stayed a lot on this puzzle after i did the competition! :)
And also thanks for QPR puzzles!!