Search found 140 matches

by Nilz
Sat 25 Oct, 2025 10:04 am
Forum: Daily Puzzles
Topic: Linked In Mini Sudoku
Replies: 15
Views: 170259

Re: Linked In Mini Sudoku

Yes for the second half of the solve, entering speed is by far the main driver, there's not a lot to think about usually. I think you're right that Crossclimb is likely to be the only other puzzle where a laptop would help, I'll be interested to see how much your times improve if you do make that sw...
by Nilz
Fri 24 Oct, 2025 9:57 pm
Forum: Daily Puzzles
Topic: Linked In Mini Sudoku
Replies: 15
Views: 170259

Re: Linked In Mini Sudoku

My instinct was to say that, yes I'm possibly faster at entering the numbers, but I guess I'm probably also a bit faster at spotting the logic. Hard to say which is the greater factor without watching your attempts. Presumably typing speed is the slightly bigger factor, it's not like I'm that much f...
by Nilz
Tue 30 Sep, 2025 12:33 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: WSPC 2025
Replies: 24
Views: 397669

Re: WSPC 2025

Might try and do a blog at some point Chris - let's see how the bump back down to earth goes this week. For team round 6: this was cancelled as the puzzle was printed with a wrong clue, meaning the whole thing was unsolvable. We'd actually made pretty good progress with this as a team, and it'd hav...
by Nilz
Fri 13 Jun, 2025 8:28 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2025 UK Sudoku Championship
Replies: 6
Views: 79372

Re: 2025 UK Sudoku Championship

Thanks for organising Tom! :)
by Nilz
Mon 17 Jun, 2024 9:00 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: UK Puzzle Championship 2024
Replies: 18
Views: 139099

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2024

I don't think those are quite the correct links, Liane, they link to a 'contest_setup' page (which in turn, correctly, says "You don't have permission to manage this contest", so no harm done)
by Nilz
Sun 28 Apr, 2024 10:41 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: UK Puzzle League Divisions A and B 2023-2024
Replies: 21
Views: 126508

Re: UK Puzzle League Divisions A and B 2023-2024

pinkagape wrote: ↑Sat 27 Apr, 2024 9:18 pm Hooray! Neil arrived!
Yeah, thanks Tom for the reminder.
And thanks Adam for organising, and for accidently arranging the fixtures so that I didn't have to do the time-consuming sudoku! :D
by Nilz
Fri 25 Aug, 2023 4:59 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday
Replies: 77
Views: 804703

Re: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

Thanks for the report David. Sounds like the difficulty was similar to last year, so I don't regret not attending. If they're going to make the Killers different sizes, then it's a shame they don't make some 6*6s for the other types (but I suppose the risk is that too many people would finish... I'd...
by Nilz
Thu 24 Aug, 2023 3:38 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday
Replies: 77
Views: 804703

Re: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

Congrats David. Always good to improve the record of UKPA winners even further :) Surprised to hear about such a large turnout, especially given last year's event. When I decided not to go (and heard that Tom might not), a part of me thought you might be the only entrant! What was the event like? In...
by Nilz
Wed 12 Jul, 2023 7:43 am
Forum: Announcements
Topic: Results of 2023 UK Puzzle Championship
Replies: 4
Views: 83055

Re: Results of 2023 UK Puzzle Championship

Thanks as always to Liane for running everything. Definitely tougher this year, but an interesting change in the puzzle types from previous years, I'm always happy to see new things. Congrats James. I assume we both wasted a lot of time on the Hidden Words :roll: That said, I'm glad I also messed up...
by Nilz
Sun 02 Jul, 2023 10:03 am
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: UK Puzzle Championship 2023
Replies: 4
Views: 31088

Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2023

Just as a heads-up, the link to the first contest is wrong, it should be https://ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=67 . It also says the event is finished? But the same instruction booklet contains the rules for both sets of puzzles, so you can find the correct instruction booklet from Liane's se...
by Nilz
Tue 18 Apr, 2023 11:19 am
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: UK Puzzle League Divisions A and B 2022-23
Replies: 20
Views: 42493

Re: UK Puzzle League Divisions A and B 2022-23

Sounds good, cheers Adam. Now I just need to make sure I actually remember on that Monday :lol:
And happy birthday in advance to your daughter!
by Nilz
Mon 17 Apr, 2023 9:48 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: UK Puzzle League Divisions A and B 2022-23
Replies: 20
Views: 42493

Re: UK Puzzle League Divisions A and B 2022-23

Will there be any allowance for those of us taking part in the 24hr championship next week? Tom and I are both, I believe, in Budapest from 27th-30th April, so we'll potentially miss a few day's worth of Duels. IIRC from last year, you allowed us to solve the puzzles up to a few days later, but I ha...
by Nilz
Mon 27 Mar, 2023 11:14 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: UKPA Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 2023
Replies: 20
Views: 173185

Re: UKPA Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 2023

When the loop turns right out of the bottom of the 2 region in your image, it only travels 1 cell.
by Nilz
Wed 08 Feb, 2023 11:19 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: Upcoming international puzzle and sudoku events
Replies: 6
Views: 20238

Re: Upcoming international puzzle and sudoku events

The Open and the online UKPC/UKSC are already on there though, no? Are there other events we have coming up that I don't know about? :D
by Nilz
Thu 05 Jan, 2023 12:12 am
Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
Topic: Aqre
Replies: 1
Views: 65949

Re: Aqre

It's often about making sure the shaded region can always 'escape' from any area. So here, for the shaded cells in the 6 region to escape, the shaded cells have to continue by going left and then up (they can't go left then left or you'd get 4 in a row). Hence, the cell directly left the of the numb...
by Nilz
Thu 05 Jan, 2023 12:07 am
Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
Topic: Heyawake
Replies: 2
Views: 68807

Re: Heyawake

R5C5 can't be black or it almost immediately fails (by connecting the black cells from top to bottom). It looks like it should fall out quite quickly after that.
by Nilz
Tue 23 Aug, 2022 9:35 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday
Replies: 77
Views: 804703

Re: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

Congrats to Tom Collyer for winning the Gold Medal in this event for the 3rd time, finishing the full set of puzzles with about 15 minutes to spare. Neil Zussman came 2nd on points (I was not close to finishing) for the Silver Medal. Completing a clean sweep from the UKPA, David Collison finished 3r...
by Nilz
Fri 08 Jul, 2022 6:01 pm
Forum: Announcements
Topic: Results of 2022 UK Puzzle Championship
Replies: 4
Views: 84007

Re: Results of 2022 UK Puzzle Championship

kiwijam wrote: ↑Fri 08 Jul, 2022 1:45 am Congratulations Freddie, great result from you.
Seconded
kiwijam wrote: ↑Fri 08 Jul, 2022 1:45 am Big thanks to Liane for organising this contest.
Seconded
kiwijam wrote: ↑Fri 08 Jul, 2022 1:45 am (PS And I confirm acceptance of my spot in the Krakow A-team.)
Seconded :D
by Nilz
Wed 01 Jun, 2022 6:37 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP
Replies: 31
Views: 162303

Re: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP

I forget to do this one (in my defence, I was busy all weekend, remember on Sunday evening but was too tired and resolved to do it on Monday, and then promptly completely forgot on Monday). Although I seem to remember reading in the rulebook that there was a kropki, so perhaps I subconsciously forgo...
by Nilz
Wed 09 Mar, 2022 8:02 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP
Replies: 31
Views: 162303

Re: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP

Curve data: I usually find you just need to start playing around with the shapes, sticking them in places that seem to fit nicely together and seeing what happens. On this one, I started left to right and then realised 3 things: 1. My original solution for the LHS wasn't unique; I had the R above th...
by Nilz
Sat 05 Mar, 2022 12:37 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP
Replies: 31
Views: 162303

Re: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP

Round 2 is taking place over this weekend.
by Nilz
Sat 26 Feb, 2022 12:37 am
Forum: Puzzle Links
Topic: Humble Bundle
Replies: 1
Views: 71627

Humble Bundle

Not exactly the puzzles we usually solve here, but may be of interest to some: There is currently a Humble Bundle deal of 13 mathematical and puzzle related books for less than £20 (or more if you wish to increase the charity contribution): https://www.humblebundle.com/books/math-puzzles-train-your-...
by Nilz
Fri 11 Feb, 2022 7:32 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP
Replies: 31
Views: 162303

Re: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP

I omitted to put Senec in the Scrabble, which is pretty infuriating- I tend to make such errors pretty rarely, at least compared to some, so it's frustrating that it cost so many points on this occasion. I think I'd've beaten Freddie otherwise, not sure how that happened.
by Nilz
Wed 24 Nov, 2021 9:13 pm
Forum: Announcements
Topic: 2021 World Sudoku+Puzzle Convention
Replies: 13
Views: 132425

Re: 2021 World Sudoku+Puzzle Convention

I agree that it was an enjoyable contest; nice to see some familiar names and faces again, and it was great to get the competitive juices flowing again! And actually, even though I didn't remember to take part in most of them, the Time Trials were a really good idea, particularly because they're the...
by Nilz
Tue 03 Aug, 2021 2:27 pm
Forum: Puzzle Competitions
Topic: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday
Replies: 77
Views: 804703

Re: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

This year's event takes place between 13th August and 5th September, and is again almost entirely online (potentially 100% online, I haven't checked). https://mindsportsolympiad.com/mso-2021/ Dates for events that people who view the UKPA forum may be interested in: 13-16 Aug: Logic Puzzles (using t...