Results: 2020 UK Sudoku Championship

UKPA announcements will be made here.
detuned

Results: 2020 UK Sudoku Championship

Post by detuned »

Congratulations to David McNeill, who has claimed a consecutive UK Sudoku Championship, bringing his tally to 5 overall. David finished all 16 of the puzzles in an impressive time of 1 hour and 48 minutes. In what was a harder set of puzzles for this year's competition, Freddie Hand and Adam Bissett round out the podium.

It is also especially heartening to see as many as 91 UK participants in this year's edition. I'm sure many of you have tried the UKSC for the first time following a bit of attention given to us by our friends Mark and Simon at Cracking the Cryptic. I want to personally thank both for their continued support of the UKSC, and also to say to anyone new to the UKPA that I hope you enjoyed the contest and that you'll stick around for more. There are further details of other competitions past and present in our Puzzle Competitions forum.

1. David McNeill - 788 pts
2. Freddie Hand - 552 pts
3. Adam Bissett - 525 pts

A full list of UK results can be found here.

The championship was also open to international participation, with a total of 16 participants correctly finishing the set of puzzles within the two hour limit. Given this year's set was a bit harder than previous years, Kota Morinishi of Japan put in possibly the most impressive performance ever recorded at a UKSC to top the table, finishing the set in a phenomenal time of 56 minutes and 34 seconds. That was well over 15 minutes faster than anyone else, with Takuya Sugimoto and Hideaki Jo rounding out an all-Japanese top 3. Between the 3 of them, Kota, Takuya and Hideaki have topped the table a total of 7 times in the 11 year history of the UKSC.

1. Kota Morinishi (JAP) - 1100pts
2. Takuya Sugimoto (JAP) - 999 pts
3. Hideaki Jo (JAP) - 993 pts

The full international results can be found here.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Bely

Re: Results: 2020 UK Sudoku Championship

Post by Bely »

Someone (hello sf2l! ) made me notice that I actually have a British passport and could in principle claim some glory :mrgreen:
In practice, I'm happy enough to see I haven't fully fried my brain after months of working from home with a toddler!

So thanks for this, very well organised as usual and congrats to the winners! :)
david mcneill

Re: Results: 2020 UK Sudoku Championship

Post by david mcneill »

Thanks to Tom and Sam for an outstanding set of Sudokus. Hard to fault any of them, but my favourite was the Diagonal. Had to solve it again afterwards to fully appreciate the lovely logic.