Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Puzzle_Maestro

Re: WPF Puzzle GP 2020

Post by Puzzle_Maestro » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 7:41 am

Official results for round 3:

10.(!) Neil Zussman 654
27. James McGowan 579
43. Freddie Hand 531

Congratulations to Neil on a top ten finish! Only four Japanese solvers to beat now...

I cannot make sense of the formatting for the domino puzzles (puzzle 12 below, puzzle 13 above). There is absolutely no benefit to doing it this way and it is guaranteed to trip up almost everyone. I hope something like this doesn't happen again.
Last edited by Puzzle_Maestro on Fri 03 Apr, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Feadoor

Post by Feadoor » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 7:56 am

While on the topic of formatting... It baffles me that the four puzzle types with dashed grid lines (Domino Search, Pentomino Division, Hitori, Statue Park) all used different styles for the grid lines themselves! Four different thicknesses, four different shades of grey... The Hitori ones were so light and thin that they didn't appear at all on my printed copy! And surely at least Domino Search and Pentomino Division, which are both about dividing a grid into polyominoes, should have used the same style, even if the others didn't necessarily need to?

I was a bit disappointed by the Tower Defence puzzle... It's a type with some interesting possibilities (I convinced myself of this by constructing a few examples before the contest) - but the competition puzzle ended up with all circled numbers given, and with most of them being satisfiable in only one way (up to symmetric placements of a few numbers). The points were just a side-effect of its size :(

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the Nurikabe and Nanro puzzles :D

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 8:24 am

Yes I got caught out by the domino puzzles being the wrong way around. Hopefully they’ll realise I have the right code in the wrong place and give me the points.

From the forums, it seems Kota also has this problem so I don’t feel quite as daft for missing this

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Wed 18 Mar, 2020 8:41 am

I haven't seen the puzzles but would guess on the formatting that they have been created by different people, possibly with different methods of drawing the grids up.

Feadoor

Post by Feadoor » Wed 18 Mar, 2020 9:39 am

I think my earlier comment comes across as very harsh and overly critical of people who have worked hard to prepare this contest. If anyone involved in preparing the round reads this, I'd like to apologise, and let you know that I really did enjoy the puzzles. Thank you for your efforts.

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 18 Mar, 2020 3:00 pm

I’m relatively sure wei-hwa draws up all the grids himself for the GP booklets... of course if you happen to have lots of different templates for different styles then maintaining consistency is difficult (although still very much desirable!)

Re the swapping of 12 and 13, there is an update:

https://gp.worldpuzzle.org/content/puzz ... ts-delayed

it’ll probably see Neil knocked out of the top 10 for this round, with Kota jumping ahead.

mwhite

Post by mwhite » Sat 21 Mar, 2020 6:50 am

I managed to catch the 12/13 issue when entering them. Sadly I missed that the Hitori needed the second shaded block as I didn't read the instructions as carefully as normal because of the Open. It would have been my highest score on WPC too :oops:

Puzzle_Maestro

Post by Puzzle_Maestro » Mon 23 Mar, 2020 7:47 am

Official results are out for round 3. Neil holds on to his number 10 spot.

Puzzle_Maestro

Post by Puzzle_Maestro » Sat 04 Apr, 2020 8:31 pm

The instructions booklet for round 4 of the Puzzle GP can be found here: https://gp.worldpuzzle.org/sites/defaul ... nd4_IB.pdf.
Apparently the author goes by the name of authornames, but I expect it is Deyan Raszadov.

I've noticed that this round has striking similarities with a previous round by the (presumably) same author, which can be found here: https://gp.worldpuzzle.org/sites/defaul ... Round6.pdf. Some of the puzzles which appear in both are Four Winds, Snake (Ends), some form of Skyscrapers, Arrows, Magnets, Japanese Sums (Hitori) and Japanese Sums. Might be very useful for practice, if you did not participate in that round.