2020 UKPA Open Sudoku and Open Puzzle Tournaments

UKPA announcements will be made here.
puzzlemad

2020 UKPA Open Sudoku and Open Puzzle Tournaments

Post by puzzlemad »

The UK Puzzle Association are pleased to announce the 2020 UK Open Sudoku and UK Open Puzzle Tournaments.

The Sudoku Tournament will be held on Saturday 14th March, 2020 and the Puzzle Tournament will be held from the evening of Saturday 14th and on Sunday 15th March, 2020. The event will be returning to the Selsdon Park Hotel in Croydon where the UKPA held the World Championships in 2014.

These events will be used as part of the selection process for the UK teams for the World Sudoku Championship (WSC) and World Puzzle Championship (WPC) for 2020 that will be held in Shanghai, China in October.

As well as the honours for the winners of both events we also have a range of prizes including best newcomer, best junior and best overseas competitor along with a new award this year for most improved so come along and enjoy the fun whatever your skill level. Everyone is welcome, although those under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Start time on Saturday will be around 10.30 am and finish time on Sunday to be no later than 5 pm.

To book your place, or for further details, please contact liane@ukpuzzles.org

The price for each event is £44 which includes competition entry, lunch and refreshments throughout the day. If you wish to stay overnight at the hotel, then the price is £74 for dinner, bed and breakfast.
detuned

Re: 2020 UKPA Open Sudoku and Open Puzzle Tournaments

Post by detuned »

Hi Liane, could you add some further details please?

E.g. is the schedule roughly the same as in previous years - e.g. Sudoku competition is entirely on the Saturday, and the Puzzle competition is split between the last bit of Saturday and then Sunday?

Also, the price structure has always been a bit confusing for the open. If I want to do both competitions and make a weekend of it, arriving on Saturday morning and leaving on Saturday afternoon, what would the price be? I'm guessing 1 x £74 overnight rate and 1 x £44 day rate for a total of £118?
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

detuned wrote: Tue 15 Oct, 2019 10:49 pm E.g. is the schedule roughly the same as in previous years - e.g. Sudoku competition is entirely on the Saturday, and the Puzzle competition is split between the last bit of Saturday and then Sunday?
This is already stated above - but yes Sudoku entirely on Saturday and Puzzle split as you state.
detuned wrote: Tue 15 Oct, 2019 10:49 pm Also, the price structure has always been a bit confusing for the open. If I want to do both competitions and make a weekend of it, arriving on Saturday morning and leaving on Saturday afternoon, what would the price be? I'm guessing 1 x £74 overnight rate and 1 x £44 day rate for a total of £118?
No this is wrong.
If you just want to take part in one event and not stay over then the price is £44.
If you want to take part in both events but not stay over then the price is £88.
If you want to take part in one event and stay over one night then the price is £118
If you want to take part in both events and stay over one night then the price is £162
If you want to take part in both events and stay over for two nights then the price is £236
detuned

Post by detuned »

puzzlemad wrote: Fri 18 Oct, 2019 8:10 am If you just want to take part in one event and not stay over then the price is £44.
If you want to take part in both events but not stay over then the price is £88.
If you want to take part in one event and stay over one night then the price is £118
If you want to take part in both events and stay over one night then the price is £162
If you want to take part in both events and stay over for two nights then the price is £236
Thanks Liane, that's much clearer!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Hi All,
I've been made aware that the hotel has had its name changed slightly to the DeVere Selsdon Estate.

There are still spaces available, please let me know if you would like a place.
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

There are still spaces available at these events if anyone would like to take part. We've got some great puzzles for them that I've thoroughly enjoyed solving. For further information please contact liane@ukpuzzles.org