The Times Sudoku Championship 2019 (or not)

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Feadoor

The Times Sudoku Championship 2019 (or not)

Post by Feadoor » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 6:49 pm

I've just received an email saying that the Times Sudoku Championship has been discontinued, and as such will not run this year.

Shame.

detuned

Re: The Times Sudoku Championship 2019 (or not)

Post by detuned » Thu 11 Jul, 2019 11:46 pm

I haven't got an e-mail like that... what a pity :(

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 2:16 pm

I contacted The Times generic mailbox a few weeks ago to find out about the qualifiers (as I would need to qualify this year after a stupid error last year). David Parfitt replied soon afterwards: "[...] I'll be in touch as soon as I'm in a position to update you on what is happening this year." Nothing so far.

Feadoor

Post by Feadoor » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 2:50 pm

Full text of my email is as follows;
David Parfitt wrote: Good afternoon,

I am writing with regard to The Times Sudoku Championship, which you have attended in previous years. Following a review of this event, I regret to say that we have decided to discontinue the Sudoku Championship and, consequently, the event will not take place this year.

The Sudoku Championship had run for the last 14 years, and I had the pleasure of hosting what was always a hugely enjoyable event for the past three. However, each year’s Championship entailed a considerable amount of organisation and resources, and it was becoming increasingly difficult for the business to justify its presence on the events calendar.

I am sorry to have to pass on this disappointing news. However, I would like to reassure you that this decision will be reviewed each year, and it is possible that the Sudoku Championship could return in the future.

If you are at all interested in The Times Crossword Championship, I have some happier news. The Crossword Championship will continue to run and will do so this year in a new and expanded format. We will be running promotional material regarding this year’s event in the paper and online in due course.

I would like to thank you for your involvement in the Sudoku Championship, and I hope you continue to enjoy tackling Sudoku every day in The Times.

Best wishes,

David Parfitt
Puzzles Editor, The Times & The Sunday Times