Results: 2019 UK Puzzle Championship

UKPA announcements will be made here.
puzzlemad

Results: 2019 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by puzzlemad »

Congratulations to James McGowan, who has claimed the UK Puzzle Championship title. James completed 26 of the 31 puzzles amassing 650 of the 720 points available. David McNeill (winner of the UKSC) came 2nd with 611 points. As a result, both James and David have earned their places on the UK team for the World Puzzle Championships to be held in Germany later this year. Third place was taken by newcomer Freddie Hand with 518 points.

The full list of UK results can be found here

The championship was also open to international participation, with a large entry from around the world. Endo Ken completed all 31 puzzles in an outstanding time of just under 1 ½ hours, unfortunately with an error on one puzzle. Anderson Wang and Yuki Kawabe took 2nd and 3rd place internationally.

The full international results can be found here
bram28

Re: Results: 2019 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by bram28 »

Hi,

Thank you for the puzzles and running the contest! Also thanks for extending the contest due to the webpage issue!

Will the correct answers be provided?

Also, I was wondering how the answer to Shakashaka Nr.18 was to be encoded, which (unless I was mistaken) contained a rectangle of area 12, and since typically you just use the digit number I used a 2 ... should I have done the full 12? But that could have indicated two squares ... I note this puzzle had the worst rate of correctness so I wonder how many others were confused on that one. Or maybe I just had the solution completely wrong of course!

Thanks!

Bram
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Hi Bram,
The solution file has now been uploaded.

I've just been having a look at the answer submissions on puzzle #18.
There were a variety of different submissions, several of which appeared to have the ‘standard’ rectangle above the 0 wrong, some didn’t record any of the 'standard' rectangles at all. Just two possibly didn’t enter the 10 part of the 12 area and then there were a variety of other errors. Of course that is all presumption without actually seeing the finished puzzles.
Your answer Bram looked like it was a miscount of the ‘standard’ rectangle above the 0.
detuned

Post by detuned »

Well done James and David! And many thanks to Liane and the authors for the organisation

I'm pretty disappointed in the answer keys. I don't believe the 1 character typo in my Masyu key was really worth the -60 points I was awarded. The fact that so few people ended up without any kind of answer key error at all might have pointed towards a little more pragmatism in this respect.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
bram28

Post by bram28 »

Thanks for getting back and posting the answers, puzzlemad!

OK, so as I feared for the Shakashaka I should have put down 12 for the 12-size rectangle instead of 2. Oh well!

Thanks again for organizing and for the nice puzzles!

Bram
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Hi Bram, you're welcome - it looks like a couple of you did that but there were a range of errors on that puzzle including not 'seeing' the 'regular' rectangles properly for some reason. I'm glad you enjoyed the puzzles - thanks again to the authors of them all.
david mcneill

Post by david mcneill »

Thanks Liane for organising the great contest. I was very surprised to be able to attempt so many puzzles in the time allowed. I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it, as there were so few number puzzles. In the end, the TomTom proved one of the fiddliest puzzles in the set, and some of my less favourite types solved more smoothly.

I started with the Caves and really enjoyed them both. The second one was tricky and I remember using uniqueness to save time.The Heyawakes were easier than I expected but the second Kuromasu was hard and I needed some trial and error. I don't know whether the L Fillomino was hard as I seemed to find intuition worked well.

I did the first Masyu and found it took far too long for the points available, so I never looked at the second one. Messed up the second Pentopia and had to solve it from scratch. Also had to do the Norinori twice. Then fouled up the second Shakashaka, having 2 triangles beside a 1 clue. And broke the first Straight Hidato.

Sticky patch over, I solved some Star Battles, the Sujiken, the easy Word Search, the easy Tapas, the tricky TomTom and then the Slash Packs.

All the time, I had to concentrate on getting the answer keys correct. Relieved to make no mistakes in that department.

I think I had a good day. But my good day wasn't good enough to beat James, even less Endo Ken. Fair play.

Hope to see many of you in Germany.
cronogenesis

Post by cronogenesis »

I just wanted to add my voice to those expressing their thanks for organising & hosting this event.

This was my first time participating in anything like this & I had a great time. All the puzzles were a joy to solve & it's been having a lot of fun working my way through the remaining puzzles in my own time (& without the stress of a ticking clock). I managed to beat my target score, discover some great new puzzle types & generally feel I've opened up a bit more of a doorway into this hobby.

Thanks again for all the time & effort put into this, I hope I am able to participate again next time.
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

cronogenesis wrote: Fri 05 Jul, 2019 5:10 pm I just wanted to add my voice to those expressing their thanks for organising & hosting this event.

This was my first time participating in anything like this & I had a great time. All the puzzles were a joy to solve & it's been having a lot of fun working my way through the remaining puzzles in my own time (& without the stress of a ticking clock). I managed to beat my target score, discover some great new puzzle types & generally feel I've opened up a bit more of a doorway into this hobby.

Thanks again for all the time & effort put into this, I hope I am able to participate again next time.
I'm glad that you enjoyed it, you'll have to join us at the UKPA Open Tournament next year - that is an invitation to all by the way.