croco-puzzle

Links to puzzle sites all around the web
sknight

Re: croco-puzzle

Post by sknight » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 10:23 pm

Definitely loving the new Masyu interface. So much easier and more fun to enter, so much less time spent undoing accidents.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 7:57 pm

Oops, I missed this a couple of days ago, but congratulations to ronaldx for being the first UK puzzler to make it to 7k!

The big question is who'll be the first to make it to 1D... and will it happen by, say, the end of 2012?

ronald

Post by ronald » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 1:53 pm

My impression is that it's getting harder to reach 1D, with all the new talent on the site. The top times of the day are now guaranteed to be excellent - even if several of the top competitors hit a fehlversuch.

Watching the Tagesratings is informative:
Mine has spent a couple of weeks above 1k now, which is the best stretch I've personally had... 1D proves elusive even there.
UK competitors kiwijam, detuned and DavidMcN have spent scant few days above the 1D line.

Remembering that a consistently average competitor could only reach 6k (realistically 7k), 1D is really showing a great level of mastery.

So, overall, I would be really happy to hit 1D by the end of 2012! Good luck everyone!

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 9:39 am

So the croco-puzzle site seems to have been playing up for me last night/this morning. Sometimes the page itself seems slow to load (or sometimes times out altogether), and sometimes it is fine - but whenever I try to go and load up the puzzle applets, they just won't load.

I've had a couple of German messages, one of which I'm vaguely guessing is telling me that my version of java isn't up to date - which it is, according to the java website, and another I'm sure is briefly telling me to basically try again.

This one I've got from the java console itself:

Code: Select all

load: class puzzle/CrocoApplet.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: puzzle.CrocoApplet.class
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass0(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: puzzle.CrocoApplet.class
I've tried in a couple of browsers (Firefox/chrome/IE)but because java is a stand alone thing I don't think a specific browser is the problem. I've tried reinstalling java, but that doesn't seem to have done the job either.

Finally, other java applets around the internet seem to be working fine, for example those on the janko website, and indeed the thingo on the java website which is suppose to check whether your version of java is up to date and so on.

Anyhow, if anyone with any more technical expertise on this one can shed any light on the matter, it'd be much appreciated. Going by the fact that the highscore page tells me plenty of people are still playing, so it's clearly not a problem on the croco end either...

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 3:39 pm

Well I'm glad I found another computer for which croco works - with Thomas not playing (and Hideaki/Palmer snapping right at my heels) - I've gone to #1 in the masyu ratings :D

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 3:54 pm

detuned wrote:I've gone to #1 in the masyu ratings :D
Well done! Now you just need to focus on getting that good at ALL puzzle type 8-)

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 9:15 pm

haha, yeah, right, no sweat at all :roll:

Interestingly enough, I tried croco on this computer again for the first time in a few days, and the java thing seems to have cleared up by itself. Very odd!

Calavera

Post by Calavera » Sat 13 Aug, 2011 10:53 pm

detuned wrote: Interestingly enough, I tried croco on this computer again for the first time in a few days, and the java thing seems to have cleared up by itself. Very odd!
If I remember correctly a problem mentioned in the German forum was that the java part of the browser has its own cache which is not (necessarily) cleared when you delete the browser cache. Maybe this also caused your problem... In any case berni should be able to tell you more, but I think he is just about to return from his holidays so it might still take some time...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 19 Aug, 2011 5:19 pm

You lot can probably share my pain: I almost completed today's Doppelstern, getting down to having all but three squares marked and knowing which squares needed to be filled. Then my computer froze - mouse pointer wouldn't move, keyboard wouldn't respond, nothing. I start trying to fire up my wife's computer, realised it had almost no battery life left, realised the power cord wouldn't stretch across to be next to the other computer, the works. Then, about a minute or two later, my computer has a little bubble pop up saying "New Windows updates are available!" and after another thirty seconds or so gives me control of my computer back.

Grr. It wouldn't have been a particularly good time without this, and it's essentially a fault of me not being able to drive my computer better (possibly to the point of having a better relationship with some operating system or other). Nevertheless, aggravating.

jbclements

Post by jbclements » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 3:45 pm

Hmm... curiously, I'm no longer able to log into croco-puzzle, as of yesterday. I use an automated site to deliver my password, so I don't believe anything has changed on my end. It *is* a very strange password with many unusual characters, though, so I'm wondering whether something has changed on the Croco-Puzzle back end. Is anyone else having trouble logging in?

berni

Post by berni » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 4:52 pm

jbclements wrote:Hmm... curiously, I'm no longer able to log into croco-puzzle, as of yesterday. I use an automated site to deliver my password, so I don't believe anything has changed on my end. It *is* a very strange password with many unusual characters, though, so I'm wondering whether something has changed on the Croco-Puzzle back end. Is anyone else having trouble logging in?
The unix "locale" changed at weekend. I'm not sure if this has an impact on the passwords, but I could imagine, especially if it contains very strange symbols. Maybe you should use the password-reset feature (http://www.croco-puzzle.com/Benutzerkon ... ortneu.php) to set a new password?

berni

Post by berni » Fri 23 Sep, 2011 7:18 am

If your are curious about a logical solving path for yesterdays Gebietssummen, have a look at the You-Tube video that uvo prepared.

motris

Post by motris » Fri 23 Sep, 2011 3:14 pm

berni wrote:If your are curious about a logical solving path for yesterdays Gebietssummen, have a look at the You-Tube video that uvo prepared.
That's about what I did, only a bit slower after getting the 1-3 block in column 2. One thing I notice that is interesting to me is that uvo is getting into candidate mode very fluidly. Is there some other way to access it than hitting #? I might have to remap that key to not be shift+3 because I've never been able to get in and out of the mode as quickly as in that video, especially if using the other hand to move the mouse.

Ours brun

Post by Ours brun » Sat 24 Sep, 2011 8:51 am

I could have said the same. In fact, on Gebietssummen and Sudoku puzzles I never put more than 2 pencil marks per cell (always using the command "-") since using the # thing takes me just too much time.
http://enigm-attic.blogspot.com --> sudoku variants and other handcrafted logic puzzles.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 24 Sep, 2011 10:31 am

Maybe I should deliberately make myself angry before doing puzzles!
After today's debacle on Thermometers, I just went for the Schlange with anger and look what happened!!! 2nd place, in less than 2/3 the time uvo or mars could do!!
I need a drink.

uvo

Post by uvo » Sat 24 Sep, 2011 10:53 am

motris wrote:That's about what I did, only a bit slower after getting the 1-3 block in column 2. One thing I notice that is interesting to me is that uvo is getting into candidate mode very fluidly. Is there some other way to access it than hitting #? I might have to remap that key to not be shift+3 because I've never been able to get in and out of the mode as quickly as in that video, especially if using the other hand to move the mouse.
To enter candidate mode, I use indeed # (and it doesn't really feel fluidly to do so). To leave the candidate mode, I simply clear the cell using the space key.

Ours brun

Post by Ours brun » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 11:04 am

Code: Select all

Ü2: Vergleichssudoku
1. jano87    5 min, 43 sek
Hey, look, a player with nickname "jano..." and very fast at sudokus. I wonder who this can be...
http://enigm-attic.blogspot.com --> sudoku variants and other handcrafted logic puzzles.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 11:30 am

Haha.

Another quick relative newcomer seems to be gorogoro. I'm guessing this must be another Japanese solver?

Ours brun

Post by Ours brun » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 2:17 pm

According to Hideaki, this may well be a Japanese solver of his knowledge; very skilled, but who doesn't participate in LMI tests and such competitions... Good for us.

berni

Post by berni » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 6:10 pm

uvo wrote:
motris wrote:That's about what I did, only a bit slower after getting the 1-3 block in column 2. One thing I notice that is interesting to me is that uvo is getting into candidate mode very fluidly. Is there some other way to access it than hitting #? I might have to remap that key to not be shift+3 because I've never been able to get in and out of the mode as quickly as in that video, especially if using the other hand to move the mouse.
To enter candidate mode, I use indeed # (and it doesn't really feel fluidly to do so). To leave the candidate mode, I simply clear the cell using the space key.
Maybe, on german keyboards the # is easier accessed (it's a key on it's own), than on other keyboards...

motris

Post by motris » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 6:17 pm

berni wrote: Maybe, on german keyboards the # is easier accessed (it's a key on it's own), than on other keyboards...
Yes, that is exactly the difference in experience then! There is no # only key on the US keyboard, and even the press that exists (shift + 3) is not near the numpad I solve with. This is why you've probably seen me frequently say I use the "-" functionality but not the "#" functionality because it's the only one I can easily trigger. I would love having any other key from 0 or . or / or + trigger the mode for Kropki and Sudoku and Gebeitssummen and such. I can certainly remap my keyboard so 0 = # before starting a puzzle, but this seems extreme.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 8:49 pm

motris wrote:I can certainly remap my keyboard so 0 = # before starting a puzzle, but this seems extreme.
I was going to suggest you switch to the UK keyboard layout, which has only 2 or 3 minor differences to yours, and crucially has the # key as a single stroke, but I've just discovered we have an extra key. See the layouts side by side on wiki.

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Mon 26 Sep, 2011 6:20 am

motris wrote: I can certainly remap my keyboard so 0 = # before starting a puzzle, but this seems extreme.
For work we've had one of the function keys programmed so that with a single stroke we get a symbol that we use regularly. Would that be possible then it is a permanent fix to get the # symbol?

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 6:39 pm

In case anyone's having difficulty deciphering the rules to Koralle (i.e. Coral) - this week's Preisratsel, here are the basics

Form a connected structure of black squares that
a) does not contain any 2x2 areas
b) does not touch itself diagonally

The numbers above and below indicate the lengths of the blocks in that column/row but not necessarily in the right order.

I'll leave it to someone else to give a formal translation of the rules - have I missed anything?

berni

Post by berni » Tue 04 Oct, 2011 6:54 am

drsteve wrote:I'll leave it to someone else to give a formal translation of the rules - have I missed anything?
Yes: The connection is not only not diagonally forbidden. In other words: all white cells are connected with the edge of the puzzle. Or yet in other words: The outline of the black cells is a "Rundweg".