Division D 2020-21

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
pinkagape

Re: Division D 2020-21

Post by pinkagape » Wed 09 Dec, 2020 7:36 pm

Hello again

Here is Round 3 of Division D of the 2020-2021 UK Puzzle League.

Please download and print the puzzles. You can complete them in any order at any point between now and Tuesday 15th December.

For each puzzle, remember to time yourself honestly as to how long it takes.

When you are finished all of the puzzles, or as many as you are able to, please email adam@ukpuzzles.org your times for each puzzle and the answer key for each puzzle (to ensure that you have understood how each solution is supposed to look).

If you are not in Division D, your times will be entered onto an all-comers scoreboard, which will not score points in the UK Puzzle League. If you are in Division D, the solver with the most points will receive 10 credits, the second will receive 9 credits and so on. If two or more solvers score the same number of points, then the fastest total time (spent on completed puzzles) will score the higher number of credits. If you are new to the UKPA, you can join in Division D late.

If you have any questions, please ask via email (adam@ukpuzzles.org)

Please do not discuss the puzzles in the forum until the competition is declared closed.

Have fun!
Attachments
2021 Beginners Round 3 - Four Winds.pdf
(274.22 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Asandhu1

Post by Asandhu1 » Tue 15 Dec, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi, I’ve sent my solutions for Division C and D now. Please let me know if they didn’t come through since my email wasn’t working well last month. Thanks.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape » Tue 15 Dec, 2020 7:05 pm

Got them Adam, thanks.

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Wed 16 Dec, 2020 5:09 pm

DavidC wrote:
Thu 19 Nov, 2020 8:47 am
Thanks - I'm sorry I didn't manage to submit this time. Incidentally, I find it interesting and mentally challenging that blocking out stuff is actually a positive rather than negative aspect to this puzzle. Perhaps I need to think of it and/or mark it in a different way, as I naturally think of the act of blocking something out as excluding/negative rather than including/positive.
People have many different ways of marking areas of puzzles that are say either of the actual used solutions cells or those that remain empty. The better solvers may be able to keep much of that information in their heads. I tend to use different notation in different types of puzzles, perhaps a dot to identify that a particular cell must be empty or include some (as yet undetermined information), sometimes a slash through or a circle showing that a cell is empty. Different notation techniques are interesting in team rounds as you have to remember to discuss what you're going to do before it starts. I've also slipped up on 'combined' puzzles where I say use dots in one type of puzzle to mean one thing, but then I use a dot to mean something else in another puzzle type.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape » Wed 16 Dec, 2020 7:31 pm

This competition is now closed. I hope you enjoyed it. Again, eight puzzlers attempted the puzzle set and all of them completed them all correctly! Thank you to Emma McCaughan and Neil Zussman for testing the puzzles.

The times were as follows:

Sam Cappleman-Lynes 9m22
Tom Collyer 12m10
Laura Baxter 13m46
Maurice Blount 16m8
Jeff Dick 18m12
Eva Myers 23m43
Adam Sandhu 29m47
David Collison 45m53

If anybody else thought they had sent me their solutions and they are not in the above table, please let me know.

The names in red are Division D competitors, so congratulations to Laura for an outstanding performance, and the fastest time of all for puzzles 7, 8 and 9.

Here is the Division D league table after Round 3

Round 4, to be held over the weekend of 16th and 17th January, will focus on Skyscraper puzzles. Please see the Puzzle Rules board for instructions.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape » Wed 13 Jan, 2021 8:07 pm

Happy New Year!

Here is Round 4 of Division D of the 2020-2021 UK Puzzle League.

Please download and print the puzzles. You can complete them in any order at any point between now and Tuesday 19th January

For each puzzle, remember to time yourself honestly as to how long it takes.

When you are finished all of the puzzles, or as many as you are able to, please email adam@ukpuzzles.org your times for each puzzle and the answer key for each puzzle (to ensure that you have understood how each solution is supposed to look).

If you are not in Division D, your times will be entered onto an all-comers scoreboard, which will not score points in the UK Puzzle League. If you are in Division D, the solver with the most points will receive 10 credits, the second will receive 9 credits and so on. If two or more solvers score the same number of points, then the fastest total time (spent on completed puzzles) will score the higher number of credits. If you are new to the UKPA, you can join in Division D late.

If you have any questions, please ask via email (adam@ukpuzzles.org)

Please do not discuss the puzzles in the forum until the competition is declared closed.

Have fun!
Attachments
2021 Beginners Round 4 - Skyscrapers.pdf
(214.85 KiB) Downloaded 28 times