Character battle [WPF puzzle GP 2018]

Is this suitable for a Sudoku competition?

Yes
13%
Maybe
No votes
No
88%

Total votes: 8

Fred76

Character battle [WPF puzzle GP 2018]

Post by Fred76 » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:08 pm

There are a few puzzle types appearing in puzzle competitions that I would like to propose for discussion, because they share some properties with sudoku. I'm not sure if they appeared in puzzle competitions because they were considered as non-sudoku or if they were included as sudoku variations.
21 - Character battle.png
21 - Character battle.png (83.43 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Source: puzzle GP website: http://gp.worldpuzzle.org/

Repeated symbols are amongst the differences between sudoku and star battle puzzles. This puzzle has star battle property, but distinct symbols to be placed.
There are though potential issues for considering it as a sudoku variation: Size of regions being "free" and blank cells in solution.

detuned

Re: Character battle [WPF puzzle GP 2018]

Post by detuned » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 8:38 pm

So I'm not sure blank cells is exactly the right way to be thinking about things. At the start of the puzzle everything is blank, but that blankness has the meaning of ambiguity - in the final solution there will either definitely be a star/character/whatever there or definitely not be a star there.

From the point of view of the final solution therefore, the cells with no stars in them have a meaning and could very well be represented by a symbol - for example you might leave dots or crosses or slashes or whatever to indicate that there is definitely not a star there. From that point of view there are therefore multiple repeated symbols per row/column/outlined regions. I think this is a good way of identifying why the puzzle Star Battle is definitely not the same puzzle as Sudoku.

Fred76

Re: Character battle [WPF puzzle GP 2018]

Post by Fred76 » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 12:08 pm

I agree that "blank cells" should be treated in the same way we treat repeated symbols in rows/columns and regions.

Note that if the number N of characters to be placed equals the size of rows and columns (grid N*N), then we have a no touch sudoku, which I think is well accepted as a sudoku variation.

Fred