Odd Tapa Sudoku [WPF Sudoku GP 2018]

Is this suitable for a Sudoku competition?

Yes
33%
Maybe
33%
No
33%

Total votes: 6

Fred76

Odd Tapa Sudoku [WPF Sudoku GP 2018]

Post by Fred76 » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 11:59 am

20- Odd tapa sudoku.png
20- Odd tapa sudoku.png (110.56 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Source: sudoku GP website: http://gp.worldpuzzle.org/

detuned

Re: Odd tapa sudoku [WPF sudoku GP 2018]

Post by detuned » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 8:45 pm

We haven't discussed Odd Lab(yrinth) Sudoku yet either have we? A very similar idea

Fred76

Re: Odd tapa sudoku [WPF sudoku GP 2018]

Post by Fred76 » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 11:57 am

detuned wrote:
Thu 14 Feb, 2019 8:45 pm
We haven't discussed Odd Lab(yrinth) Sudoku yet either have we? A very similar idea
We haven't.
Yes, it is similar in many ways.

I tend to think these kind of puzzles are in a grey area. While i don't have a clear argument to say that they are not a sudoku, I would not be very happy to see lot of them in tournaments. Perhaps it's just a matter of taste.

For me the odd lab sudoku (see an example here: http://www.worldpuzzle.org/files/35/puzzles1_gs.pdf) is a bit more comfortable, because the constraint is smaller, in my opinion. The rule states "There must be a path between the top left and bottom right cells, travelling horizontally and vertically through cells containing odd numbers." There is no constraint about this path (compared to odd tapa where not only some cells have to be connected, but there is the "no 2*2 area" constraint, so that you really have to care about that on the whole puzzle).

A small comment on solving odd lab sudoku:
When I solve odd lab sudoku, most of the time, I even don't care about the path. I tend to think I'm much more efficient on solving odd lab by concentrating on even digits than odd digits. Indeed, a consequence of the rule is that the structure of even digits must not form "walls" between top/right to bottom/left borders. What I call "wall" is a set of orthogonally or diagonally connected cells.

Fred