Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Nilz

Re: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday

Post by Nilz » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 5:53 pm

This thread has reminded me of a very important point! Tom, did you ever receive your prize money last year? I can't remember whether I received my runner's up prize, though if you did I'll assume I did.

detuned

Post by detuned » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 8:08 pm

yes I did.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be able to make it on Thursday :(

detuned

Post by detuned » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 9:16 pm

Did anyone go?

Nilz

Post by Nilz » Fri 24 Aug, 2018 5:44 pm

I took the day off work to go; David Collison was the only other person I recognised from this parish.

Results (for all events) are published here: https://msoworld.com/2018-medal-table/
Relevant bits are:

Puzzle Solving- Kenken & Other Puzzles
Gold:Neil Zussman-England
Silver:Paul Smith-England
Bronze:Joanne Leung-England

Puzzle Solving- Sudoku & Killer Sudoku
Gold:Neil Zussman-England
Silver:Lovely Krishna Kattamuri-India
Bronze:David Collison-England

Congrats David on getting back on the podium after a year or two away.

The all-time medal table makes interesting reading: https://msoworld.com/all-time-medals-table/
My 3rd and 4th career gold medals have moved me just ahead of Mark Goodliffe courtesy of my additional silver medal (91st and 93rd respectively). At one point, they'd only marked the sudoku, and so I was on 3 golds which placed me in illustrious company, being just below Eggheads legend Kevin Ashman (130th) and just above someone named Angus Walker...

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 2:15 pm

Congratulations, Neil, on an excellent pair of victories, especially as the format changed this year. Thanks for posting the results - your post was how I heard the good news!

David

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 5:12 pm

Ken Wilshere there on 6 golds in 51st!

What were the formats like this year? Looks as if they've substituted killer sudoku in for kenken in the sudoku event, and then moved kenken in with "other puzzles". What was the variety like?

Nilz

Post by Nilz » Sat 25 Aug, 2018 8:19 pm

The sudoku had classic (some pretty difficult), diagonal (pretty easy), irregular (not too hard) and killer (2 very difficult ones that I didn't make much progress on at all- the only 2 puzzles I didn't finish in time).

Puzzles had Kenken (a bit of a challenge, included sizes up to 9*9 which was pretty interesting), futoshiki (not as horrible as I expected, to be fair, even the 9*9 puzzle), numberlink (easy), star battle (mostly not too hard, one or two had a couple of stumbling points for me), straights (not a puzzle I'm overly familiar with, again one or two had a few stumbling points but I think that was due to my own unfamiliarity). I finished them all with about an hour to spare, possibly 1.25hrs (out of 3.25 hours total).

It's possible I've forgotten a type somewhere.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 2:43 pm

Saw an email in my spam folder - the schedule for 2019 is out: https://msoworld.com

Of most interest to these parts are the following competitions, both happening on Tuesday 20th August 2019:

10.00am: Sudoku and Killer Sudoku
Sudoku is a logic-based, combinatorial number-placement puzzle. The objective is to fill a 9×9 grid with digits so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3×3 sub-grids that compose the grid (also called “boxes”, “blocks”, “regions”, or “sub-squares”) contains all of the digits from 1 to 9. The puzzle setter provides a partially completed grid which has a unique solution to be solved.

The competition will include:

Classic Sudoku

Killer Sudoku (follows classic sudoku rules but also includes areas which must add up to a given number, without duplicating numbers within the area)

Diagonal Sudoku (the main diagonal must also obey the same rules as rows/columns)

Jigsaw Sudoku (areas have different shapes)
2.15pm: Puzzles (Various)
3:15 hours to solve as many puzzles as you can!

Puzzles will include:

Kenken

Star Battle (a placement puzzle where you must put two stars in every row, column and area)

Numberlink (a path puzzle, draw a line that connects each pair of numbers)

Straights (this is a grid with some black cells in it. The goal is to fill the grid with numbers so every “compartment” has a set of consecutive numbers, not necessarily in order. Numbers must not repeat in rows/columns)

Futoshiki (fill the grid with numbers obeying the inequality symbols provided)