UK Puzzle & Sudoku National Championships 2018

UKPA announcements will be made here.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

UK Puzzle & Sudoku National Championships 2018

Post by PuzzleScot »

The 2018 UK Sudoku Championship will take place over the weekend of 9-10th June 2018 (12:00 8th June to 23:59 11th June)

The 2018 UK Puzzle Championship will be held 2 weeks later, over the weekend of 23-24 June 2018 (12:00 22nd June to 23:59 25th June)
  • The championships will take place online, on this website, via the contests page, where you can also access all past championships.
  • Exact durations (usually 2 - 2.5 hrs) will be posted nearer the time
  • You may commence at a time convenient to yourself within the allotted time.
  • The puzzles will be available as a PDF, which you will need to print out and solve.
  • You will then need to enter the requested answer keys from your solution into the contest page.
  • You will need to be logged in to this website (forum) to participate. (Simple registration is free)
  • Past championships are available at the above contests page.
  • All puzzlers worldwide are welcome to participate.
  • The top 2 British competitors (qualifying information here) in each championship will earn the right to represent the UK at the 2018 World Championships, in Prague, 4-11 November.
Feadoor

Re: UK Puzzle & Sudoku National Championships 2018

Post by Feadoor »

Thanks to all involved in running these competitions! I'll be a first-time Sudoku entrant this year, the previous two contests having unfortunately fallen during weekends when I was on holiday or disconnected from the internet. I've immensely enjoyed the puzzles from previous years and look forward to another stunning set.

I have a couple of questions about competing that I haven't found the answers to from my reading of the website:

1) Is there a timer displayed on the answer submission page, or should I use my own stopwatch?

2) Is it against the rules to use a calculator for a Killer Sudoku? My solution path to the Killer in 2016 involved a good amount of hefty addition at the start!

Thanks in advance!
gareth

Post by gareth »

1) There is a timer on the page, but don't rely on it because (unless it has been fixed) it is only approximate - use your own stopwatch.

2) It is against the rules to use a calculator for any puzzle, including Killer Sudoku.

Good luck! :)
detuned

Post by detuned »

For questions about the UKSC, please see this thread:

http://forum.ukpuzzles.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1812

The contest page is here:

(will be updated shortly)
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Angus

Post by Angus »

Hi

Please could the solutions booklet to the 2017 puzzle competition be published?

Thanks

Angus
detuned

Post by detuned »

Traditionally I always say I'm going to do answer booklets and end up being too tired after the event to go back and do them. As I don't have the answers to hand, is there a particular puzzle you are interested in Angus?
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
poleparrot

Post by poleparrot »

Thanks to the organisers, I'm new to this, but love puzzles. After attempting the Sudoku while in Italy and failing due to lack of printer, I thought I'd be organised for the Puzzle Championships. I practised (some) of the puzzles, then had to rush between iPad and printer to download and print trying to get the code from one device, then the other had logged me out!
Finally started then it dawned on me that England had kicked off, so carried on with distractions. At least I managed to solve a few, next year I'll practise more and plan better.. and also check the answer I submitted ;)