Puzzle GP question

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
drsteve

Puzzle GP question

Post by drsteve » Sat 12 Aug, 2017 3:57 pm

Silly question but have I been getting this wrong all year?

I only had time to do more than one division puzzle comp in the first round and did A and B. I qualified as a B contestant and as such for the whole tournament have been doing the B competitions. Just had a quick look at the rules, mostly due to boredom, and it looks like my score in Round 1 Section A (ranked 32nd) means that I've been an A contestant all of this time and my B scores have been unofficial.

Have I read that right?

kiwijam

Re: Puzzle GP question

Post by kiwijam » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 1:32 am

According to http://gp.worldpuzzle.org/content/wpf-gp-puzzle-classes, you started the year in Class B.

According to the Rules:

Class A participants are those who qualify for at least one of the following conditions:
- Finished in the top 10 ranking for the 2014 Puzzle GP
- Finished in the top 25 ranking for the 2015 Puzzle GP
- Finished in the top 50 ranking for the 2016 Puzzle GP, Competitive Section
- Competed in at least one of the first four rounds of the 2017 Puzzle GP, Division A, and has one of the top 100 average scores

I think the important word here is "average". You don't get an average score from a single contest. I assume it is referring to the top 100 people after 4 rounds of Division A, rather than the top 100 for every round?

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 8:22 am

Oh good, that should put me out of the top 100. Probably.

Just checking, I actually did two section A comps - it was probably Round 2 that convinced me to stick to section B!

Thanks, James. Hopefully, that's the right interpretation of average.

emma

Post by emma » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 1:55 pm

Crikey - I'm at number 103 in section A. Perhaps I'd better make sure I don't improve so I don't get kicked out of section B.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:08 pm

Haha, you know they haven't done a good job of selling these leagues to us if everybody is trying to avoid promotion!
You still get to compete in any round you like right?
Come over to the A-side Emma, we have cookies.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Wed 16 Aug, 2017 8:19 am

Ah, but there's a chance of actually winning for once for those of us in B or C. That is, if they choose to filter the A contestants from the B list...

emma

Post by emma » Wed 16 Aug, 2017 1:36 pm

Well I finished at 102, but Heather made it into the top 100.

By the way, in round 8b, it looks like eight people completed but got the second snake wrong. At least in my case I know that my spare 25 seconds wouldn't have been enough to check my answers...

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Wed 16 Aug, 2017 6:07 pm

emma wrote:Well I finished at 102, but Heather made it into the top 100.

By the way, in round 8b, it looks like eight people completed but got the second snake wrong. At least in my case I know that my spare 25 seconds wouldn't have been enough to check my answers...
Yup, I was one of those eight. Had two corners touching in the top right... Glad to see I wasn't alone

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 16 Aug, 2017 11:22 pm

Re round 8, I only did 'C', which (by the way) you guys really shouldn't overlook...
I can't remember the last time I made so many mistakes in one competition - 4/19 answers with an error!

However, the contest was heavily loaded on the last 2 puzzles. I would have scored more by simply solving those two! (I say 'simply' casually, but they weren't crazily hard for a relatively seasoned puzzler)

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:24 am

Anyone have any idea is there is going to ever be an "Official" section B or C result - i.e. discounting the A and the A or B contestants?

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:32 pm

drsteve wrote:Anyone have any idea is there is going to ever be an "Official" section B or C result - i.e. discounting the A and the A or B contestants?
I believe that rankings tables which exclude those not officially completing in a division should be on the GP site soon. In terms of 'official' winners, there will definitely be an announcement of who has won each division at some point.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Tue 03 Oct, 2017 9:45 pm

OK, anyone got an idea as to why I'm in the official Division A results rather than the official Division B. Seriously can't see why - and why Taigo Ando is in the official Division B when he's 66th in Division A!

Just asking as I thought I'd won Division B...

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Tue 03 Oct, 2017 10:05 pm

I think it depends what they think the rules mean... I'd just ask them.
It's also possible they made a mistake?

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks, James. I've posted a query in the forum.

The only way I can be in Division A, I think, is if my average score after four rounds was actually averaged over the two rounds that I competed in, rather than all 4. This might make some weird sense in their book, as otherwise they'd say "total score in the first four rounds" but it seems an odd condition. And if it is average score over four rounds, Taigo has a higher score than me - although not if his is divided by the three rounds that he did and mine by the two that I did.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 9:52 pm

It's a poor system. Next time, just click to get the A password and submit nothing... guaranteed zero score?

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Thu 12 Oct, 2017 3:06 pm

I got a reply and it was as I suggested - my two scores divided by two, not four, put me in Div A. Meanwhile, Tiago, who finished 66 overall in Div A wins Div B, mainly due to missing the higher scoring round 1.

Very miffed about this as I put a decent effort into Div B - I’m counting it as an honourary win, if nothing else...

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Sun 15 Oct, 2017 6:30 pm

Just to clarify, you did ONLY two rounds in the A competition, but qualified for the A league anyway? I didn't think that was how it was meant to work - if you confirm I will query it at a WPF board meeting. Are you saying you would have won division B otherwise? Also, who specifically did you query it with?