Logicmasters 2017 Qualifcation

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
drsteve

Logicmasters 2017 Qualifcation

Post by drsteve »

Just to point out that this has started and runs until Monday 23rd. The instructions are in German but most of the puzzles are obvious (although I can't seem to copy the text into Google Translate). For any non-standard ones, I THINK:

2. Blackout Domino - the blacked out squares have to be isolated - I think they can touch diagonally

6. Fischpaare Knapp Deneben - pairs of fish touching diagonally which don't touch, even diagonally, with other pairs of fish. And just for fun, the clues for the number of fish in a row/column are wrong by 1. I don't know if a 1 clue can be 0.

15 Orthogonales Quadrat - squares should be filled with A1,... A4, B1,..., B4 to D1 to D4 so that no number or letter repeats in a row or column. No repetition of a letter-number combo

16 Pentominoeinbau mit Behurung - right, from my limited German, the clues are Tapa clues, place the pentominoes that are given so that they don't touch orthogonally but they are linked diagonally

17 Doppelblock with four squares

18 Rundweg... Slitherlink but clues inside the loop give the number of corners used, not the number of edges. Clues outside the loop give edges as normal

19 Schlangenest - fill in the letters to make the words. Grey cells show the start of a word and the direction that it goes in.

20 Trinarzerlegung - looks like finding the number in base three from 1 to 202. Not the answer submission involves convertin back to base ten

22 Vier Wind - Four winds but with letter for clues - same letter=same clue, different letters = different clues

24 X - think this is the one where the clue indicates the sum of the first n cells in that direction where n is the first cell. So in the example, 14 = sum of the first 4 and 6 is the sum of the first two.

26 Zeltlager mit Doppelstern - I think it's just tents as normal and then put two stars in each row and column, not touching diagonally, a la Star Battle.

Note: There is every possibility that I've missed a subtle rule but I do hope this helps.
berni

Re: Logicmasters 2017 Qualifcation

Post by berni »

As far as I can see, you got everything right. In fishpairs (and four winds) 0 is allowed.
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

They are a good set of puzzles, lots to choose from, nothing is really hard.

Extra points:
2. Blackout Domino - Blacked cells cannot be on the diagram edge. This has been in WPC before (http://wiki.logic-masters.de/index.php? ... _Domino/de)
16 Pentominoeinbau mit Behurung - All white cells are connected orthogonally to the edge, so there are no loops of pentominoes (koralle-like?).
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

Also, have a look at the Answer Keys before you start.
There are two main types:
For line drawing ones, it is the number of vertical lines passing between each pair of rows (i.e. a 10x10 grid will need 9 numbers of 0-10 each).
For shading ones, it is the length of all black and white blocks (e.g. BWWBWBBBB will be 12114).
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Yes, the rule for the line drawing caught me out - solved one puzzle but then couldn't decipher the rules until much later. Luckily twigged it before the time was up...

And I don't think the additional Pentomino rule is necessary, as I solved it without being aware of that.