UK Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 16th - 17th March, 2013

UKPA announcements will be made here.
puzzlemad

UK Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 16th - 17th March, 2013

Post by puzzlemad » Fri 08 Feb, 2013 1:08 pm

You are invited to the UK Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 16th – 17th March, 2013

The winner of each event will earn a place in the UK Puzzle or Sudoku teams at the 2013 WPC/WSC!!

This will be hosted by UK Puzzle Association, but everyone is welcome: members, non-members and players from other countries.

It will be like WSC+WPC in a weekend, there will be multi-round Sudoku and Puzzle competitions, with over 6 hours of puzzles. If time permits there may also be other activities.

Registration fee finalised at £35

To register, please contact me at liane@ukpuzzles.org

Venue

The tournament will be held at the St.John's Hotel in Solihull (http://www.thestjohns-hotel.co.uk/). This is a hotel that we have an offer from to host the WSC/WPC in 2014 and will be an excellent opportunity to test the facilities. The hotel is a short walk from Solihull Rail station.

Accommodation

The recommended hotel is the Travelodge at Birmingham Airport, which is approximately 2.5 miles from the venue. The hotel is not included in the registration fee and you will need to book it yourself separately http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/519/ ... port-hotel once your registration is confirmed. Their current offer is £28 for a room which should be suitable for either a single person or two people sharing. This price may vary considerably, so you are advised to book early. Breakfast is extra. For those travelling by public transport we will be able to transport people between the venue and the Travelodge on the Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

Planned Schedule

The planned time on Saturday is 2pm until 7pm, then Sunday 9am until 2pm.
Further details will be published on the forum when available.

Registration Fee

The fee must be paid before registration can be confirmed. UKPA is a not-for-profit players association, so the fee is just your share of the costs. We are currently in negotiation with the venue to confirm options for refreshments. This will include full participation in all activities and any prizes that you may win! It does not include your hotel room, breakfast or evening meal.

We look forward to seeing you there!
Last edited by puzzlemad on Thu 28 Feb, 2013 6:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Price confirmed and contact detail amended

detuned

Re: UK Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 16th - 17th March,

Post by detuned » Wed 20 Feb, 2013 8:03 pm

Ah - was looking for a thread discussing this. Have we done a big e-mail out advertising this - for example that university society mailing list Chris compiled? And have we decided WSC/WPC qualifying spots will be handed out for this? If so shouldn't this be mentioned prominently to give extra motivation for everyone?

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 20 Feb, 2013 8:04 pm

Apologies if all of this is yet to be decided, or is not yet ready to be publicly announced, but I think it'd be a good idea to try and build some momentum!

emma

Post by emma » Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:52 pm

Students might be better able to come this time - it's as term finishes for Cambridge and Warwick at least.

detuned

Post by detuned » Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:29 am

I suppose there isn't going to be a concurrent online version of the competition like last year? I know Gareth said that this massively increased the organisational workload. Still, releasing the puzzles for people to semi-competitively have a go online after the event would help to raise the profile of the event!

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:49 am

We did it last year and it doesn't seem to have encouraged additional people to sign up this year, so apparently not...

I think Liane's compiled a wide selection of puzzles from many top authors so anyone who doesn't come is genuinely going to miss out. If you're in the UK (or can get here easily, e.g. on the Eurostar - you can get to Birmingham in not much over 3.5 hours from Paris) and want a weekend of top quality puzzling then it's really a much cheaper alternative to the WPC. You can't become world champion, but the rest of the experience is there.

And if you have a UK passport you can also win a space in the UK WPC and WSC teams.

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 5:23 pm

Is there any further news on the schedule?

Basically it's not a million miles from me to Solihull so with money a little tight at the moment I am thinking of skimping on a hotel fare and commuting instead. The timings on the Saturday are fine, but the earliest I can get to Solihull on the train (via some fairly inefficient connections) on Sunday morning is just before 10am. Obviously this is disastrous for a 9am start!

Another timetable look-up says I can get to birmingham international (where the recommended hotel is based) by just before 9.

The only alternative being a brisk sunday morning bike ride, could i request delaying starting things at half 9, rather than 9? That way I could presumably hitch a lift with someone based at the airport...

emma

Post by emma » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 6:08 pm

Or we timetable a longish sudoku round for first thing and I'm sure you'll catch up when you arrive. ;)

Janix

Post by Janix » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 9:55 pm

Or I could fetch you from the most convenient station or even your home if you are contemplating a bike ride - you can't be that far away. I like unusual journeys and will have to check out of my hotel and drive to St. Johns anyway, so it is not a problem I will just be on the road a little earlier.

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 6:26 am

If you haven't registered yet for this tournament, please do so at the earliest opportunity. Places are filling up.

For those withoug transport we will ferry people between the venue and the Birmingham Travelodge.

As we have some competitors that have flights to catch we are unable to put the start time back on the Sunday.

Gyorgy is looking to come over for this event from Budapest and is looking at flights into Luton. Is anyone that is coming liable to be driving close enough to Luton to be able to give him a lift either to or from the event?

emma

Post by emma » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 1:34 pm

If not, it's worth noting that although Stansted is further away, it has direct trains to Birmingham (which I'll be using).

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 01 Mar, 2013 1:46 am

Gyorgy has confirmed he is coming :)
He will be flying to Luton, and taking a coach (£12 e/w). Far cheaper, but just as quick as a train.

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Fri 01 Mar, 2013 1:01 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:Gyorgy has confirmed he is coming :)
He will be flying to Luton, and taking a coach (£12 e/w). Far cheaper, but just as quick as a train.
Gyorgy hasn't actually booked the coach ticket yet, so if there is someone can give him a lift to/from Luton it will be appreciated.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 02 Mar, 2013 9:59 pm

Janix wrote:Or I could fetch you from the most convenient station or even your home if you are contemplating a bike ride - you can't be that far away. I like unusual journeys and will have to check out of my hotel and drive to St. Johns anyway, so it is not a problem I will just be on the road a little earlier.
Ken - I'm currently living in a house which is on the A45 in Coventry, even pessimistically I can't think it'll take more than 15 minutes driving from the airport. Thanks for the offer! I'd be happy to take you up on it, although I think I might get my bike out tomorrow and see how the route is...

Ekaterin

Post by Ekaterin » Sun 03 Mar, 2013 1:48 pm

Is it too late for me to register? I'm having difficulty turning off my system's paranoid spam filtering so that I can receive Liane's reply to my email. If I don't receive a reply by tomorrow morning I'll try to register from my work email.
Eva.

If you care about the details of the filtering, see http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/sauce/, and the error that keeps appearing in the logs is

Code: Select all

2013-03-03 09:24:43 GMT: reject: command host=ppsw-41.csi.cam.ac.uk from=liane112rob@hotmail.co.uk cmd="RCPT TO:<ermyers@chiark.greenend.org.uk>" resp="451 problematic MAIL-FROM: [65.55.92.168.] RSET (for verify, pipelining) [65.55.92.168.] => 554 Transaction failed" defer-msg="problematic MAIL-FROM: [65.55.92.168.] RSET (for verify, pipelining) [65.55.92.168.] => 554 Transaction failed" rcpt-normal-451=ermyers@chiark.greenend.org.uk ecstatic=-610262ms-

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Sun 03 Mar, 2013 4:00 pm

[quote="Ekaterin"]Is it too late for me to register? I'm having difficulty turning off my system's paranoid spam filtering so that I can receive Liane's reply to my email. If I don't receive a reply by tomorrow morning I'll try to register from my work email.
Eva.quote]

Hi Eva,
I have registered you, so everything's fine. My daughter's kindly logged me out of my email account and now I'm struggling to get the reset password for that because of our works email quarantine system - hopefully I'll be back on line with that tomorrow. - If anyone else is expecting a response from me - that's the reason (I'm not ignoring you).