UKPA 2012 Sudoku Championship

UKPA announcements will be made here.
puzzlemad

UKPA 2012 Sudoku Championship

Post by puzzlemad » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 10:00 pm

The instruction booklet for the Sudoku Championship to be held from 17th - 20th August is now available from the contest page of the UKPA website at: http://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=27 . Any discussion regarding the contest can be made in the competition thread at: http://forum.ukpuzzles.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=649

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: UKPA 2012 Sudoku Championship

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:12 pm

Results have been published.

The new UKPA Sudoku Champion is David McNeill, who earns himself a place in the UK team for the 2012 World Sudoku Championship.

Hideaki Jo of Japan produced the best international guest result (again).

Congratulations to David, Hideaki, and all the competitors, as well as to Gareth Moore and Liane Robinson for providing the contest.

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 4:37 pm

Alan - I think this needs cleaning up as David previously earned a WSC place via the LMI route, for which there is no announcement currently. And I would argue that the results should be a separate news item anyway!?

Additionally the second highest scorer was Neil, who previously earned a WSC place via the UK open event. Or have I got the relative qualification priorities wrong here? And I'm sure there were two WSC places on offer via the UKSC...

emma

Post by emma » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 8:16 pm

If you look at the detail of the qualifying procedure, we no longer work down each route separately, but combine the winners lists into one list which rotates around the different routes. That avoids the risk of getting to the sixth person in one route whilst denying a place to the person who came second in another. In this case, I think the top three places in each route go to the same four people, so the A-team is fairly clear.