UK Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 28-29 April 2012

UKPA announcements will be made here.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

UK Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 28-29 April 2012

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 12:18 am

You are invited to the UK Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 28-29 April 2012

This will be hosted by UK Puzzle Association, but everyone is welcome: members, non-members and players from other countries.

It will be like WSC+WPC in a weekend, there will be multi-round Sudoku and Puzzle competitions, with over 6 hours of puzzles, plus a team competition and solving workshop.

Only £39 registration fee!

To register, email secretary@ukpuzzles.org asap!

Venue

The tournament will be held at the Trafford Centre in Manchester. The competition will take place at Chill Factore which is an extraordinary 'indoor ski resort'.

The Trafford Centre is one of Europe’s largest shopping malls and is 5km from Manchester United’s famous Old Trafford ground. It is 16km from Manchester International Airport, and 10km from Manchester Piccadilly Rail Station.

Accommodation

The recommended hotel is the Premier Inn Trafford Centre West, which is only a short walk away from the venue. The hotel is not included in the registration fee and you will need to book it yourself separately (http://www.premierinn.com) once your registration is confirmed. Their current offer is £29 for a room with 2 double beds, which would be suitable for either a single person or two people sharing. But this price will probably increase towards their standard £72 price as the date gets closer, so you are advised to book early. Breakfast is extra.

Planned Schedule

See event discussion thread for more information

Registration Fee

The fee of £39 must be paid before registration can be confirmed. UKPA is a not-for-profit players association, so the fee is just your share of the costs. It includes a buffet lunch on Saturday and Sunday, and cold drinks and biscuits throughout both days, participation in all puzzling events, and any prizes that you may win! It does not include: hotel room, breakfast, nor evening meal on Saturday.

We look forward to seeing you there!

GarethMoore

Re: UK Open Sudoku and Puzzle Tournament 28-29 April 2012

Post by GarethMoore » Thu 02 Feb, 2012 2:58 am

For those visiting from other sites or from advertising posters, in the message above "WPC" refers to the World Puzzle Championship, an event held annually for the past 20 years; "WSC" refers to the World Sudoku Championship, a similar event that has been held for the past several years.

Each of these events consists of players from around the world travelling to take part in a multi-round on-site tournament. The UK event described above is similar but will have less rounds - we are currently planning 6 for the puzzle tournament and 3 for the sudoku tournament. By contrast the WPC [World Puzzle Championship] in 2012 had 12 individual rounds.

mikecolloby

Post by mikecolloby » Fri 03 Feb, 2012 5:44 pm

We already have 17 competitors registered!

I see that Premier Inn Trafford Centre West has now gone up to £63. The situation with these hotels is that they operate a pricing system which responds to demand, just like the airlines. So the price may well drop to £29 again if you wait. Alternatively, you can check out their other hotels in the Trafford Centre (Premier Inn Trafford Centre North and Premier Inn Trafford Centre South), which are also within walking distance of Chill Factore. Trafford Centre North is currently offering £29.

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 4:03 pm

An update to the above: The top-ranked UK participant at the on-site puzzle event in Manchester will be awarded a place in the WPC 2012 UK team. Similarly the top-ranked UK participant in the on-site sudoku event will be awarded a place in the WSC 2012 UK team.

emma

Post by emma » Sat 14 Apr, 2012 4:22 pm

If anyone is travelling from the Cambridge area, do let me know, before I book a train ticket. I could have the car, but would not be confident driving that distance without company (I only passed my test last year).

cyncyn

Post by cyncyn » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 12:34 am

emma wrote:If anyone is travelling from the Cambridge area, do let me know, before I book a train ticket. I could have the car, but would not be confident driving that distance without company (I only passed my test last year).
_______

Well I know I missed you but am planning a trip and am wondering if you have any tips for me departing out of Cambridge?
Many Thanks!

Cynthia
Las Vegas Tourist Attractions Las Vegas Strip Hotels
Last edited by cyncyn on Thu 03 May, 2012 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

emma

Post by emma » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 8:28 am

Well I know I missed you but am planning a trip and am wondering if you have any tips for me departing out of Cambridge?
Many Thanks!
[/quote]

It's looking like the best option to Manchester is X5 bus to Milton Keynes, then train from there.