UK wins the senior category for WSC and WPC

UKPA announcements will be made here.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

UK wins the senior category for WSC and WPC

Post by PuzzleScot »

UK A-team stalwart and all-rounder David McNeill, from Belfast, won the Over-50 category at both events in Sofia last week.
Mark Goodliffe took the WSC over-50 runner-up award.

David is now the reigning World Senior Champion of both Sudoku and Puzzles.
David was already World Senior Champion for Sudoku, having won the 2014 title in Croydon last year.

Kota Morinishi retained his World Sudoku Champion title, while Ken Endo usurped the 10 times world champion, and clear favourite, Ulrich Voigt of Germany, to clinch a Japanese double.

Further results of both championships will be published later now available. In the meantime, congratulations are in order for David, Mark, Kota and Ken for their titles.

[Edit:]
The full results of the 14th WSC and 24th WPC results are available at http://www.wscwpc2015.org/results.php
Team UK finished 8th (of 21) in the WSC and 7th (of 24) in the WPC.

Individually, in both events, all 4 of our A-team players finished in the top 50.

This represents another excellent performance against an outstanding, and always improving, international field. Well done all, especially David with his double title!
furudo.erika

Re: UK wins the senior category for WSC and WPC

Post by furudo.erika »

Congrats David. Very nice double.
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Congratulations David
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Full results published. Top post edited.
Cooky

Post by Cooky »

Well done to all the UK competitors - some fantastic results. For those of us who didn't make it and would love to have a go and see how far behind we are, is there any way of getting the puzzles? Are they likely to be available at any stage?
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Cooky wrote:... is there any way of getting the puzzles? Are they likely to be available at any stage?
Realistically, that's at least one month away. Then they will only be available for personal use of paid up UKPA members.
Even just having access to the WSC/WPC archive easily justifies the petty £15/year individual membership fee (more info)

If any UK media representatives are reading this, please contact Alan O'Donnell (chairman@ukpuzzles.org) for permission to publish Sudokus or Puzzles from the World Championships.
Cooky

Post by Cooky »

Sorry Alan - I thought I had registered (obviously not)
Cheque to UKPA ? sent to you at what address?
David
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

Yes, well done, David McN. Sincerely delighted at your performance, even in the part that deprives me of a prize! Well done all the UK competitors too, a solid team effort all round (excepting my start in the first WSC team round, that is ... cough, cough ... blush). Talking of the subscription fee, I'm not sure when I last paid too, unless it's by standing order - happy to make up any arrears of course. Mark
Ekaterin

Post by Ekaterin »

I'd like to know how to become a paid-up UKPA member too. Last time I asked I was told I had a free year for helping out at the 2014 WSC/WPC but that will have expired now.
Thanks,
Eva.
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Congrats to everyone - and if someone could remind me if I'm paid up or not, that'd be handy :)
emma

Post by emma »

Me too - when I read the above I found myself wondering when I last paid.
gareth

Post by gareth »

Apart from a few people who have standing orders, most people last paid the summer before last after Mike made the year from July 2014 to July 2015 free since we were hosting the WSC/WPC.

I need to send people requests for payment for the current year starting from this summer through until next summer, so basically if you haven't paid yet this year then can you please pay £15 to the UKPA bank account (the one with account number ending 3411). If you don't have the details, or want to be awkward and send a cheque :) , please send me a message: ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=66 or via email to secretary@ukpuzzles.org.

I will then also chase people individually via email in a couple of weeks.

If you are reading this and not currently a member, but are interested in joining, then details of membership are on this page: http://www.ukpuzzles.org/membership.php
sf2l

Post by sf2l »

Ekaterin wrote:I'd like to know how to become a paid-up UKPA member too. Last time I asked I was told I had a free year for helping out at the 2014 WSC/WPC but that will have expired now.
Thanks,
Eva.
Time flies (and wasps). I did not notice that the grace year is over. But I have paid now.
Congrats to David who is the first player to detain two individual titles at the same time, in all categories and age groups.