Puzzled Pint in London

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions

Puzzled Pint in London

Postby dickoon » Sat 09 Nov, 2013 12:01 am

Londoners! Take a pub quiz, lose the questions (people look up the answers anyway) and add puzzles: word puzzles, picture puzzles, logic puzzles, codes. You've got Puzzled Pint, more or less.

This non-commercial event has been running monthly in Portland for three years, Seattle as well, and now it's coming to London on the second Tuesday of each month. The first London event is coming right up on Tuesday 12th November 2013. The Puzzled Pint web site has all the puzzles from previous months so you can take a look to see the form. They're fun to solve in their own right, too.

The first month takes place at Doggett's Coat and Badge Riverside Bar on Blackfriars Bridge; in future months, you'll have to solve a puzzle to find out where the event will happen. (Hints are always free!) Come alone and join a team or come with a team of your friends; start between 6pm and 9pm. The puzzles are free, though the food and drinks aren't. Good company, good puzzles, good times. Bring UKPA publicity along and spread the word to the wider puzzling community! No need to book in advance, but if you're a Facebook person, the event's page has more information.
dickoon

Re: Puzzled Pint in London

Postby Janix » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 1:45 pm

I was going to be in London tomorrow afternoon, and have just arranged something for tomorrow evening that finishes at 7:15pm (and not far away!) - so perfect timing! I will take some of the fliers that Emma produced (thanks).
Janix

Postby dickoon » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 8:16 pm

Excellent news! Would any of the others at your event finishing at 7:15pm also be interested? Tell your friends!

Sadly I won't be at the first one, but my wife will and lots of other very interesting (and puzzle-y) people besides.
dickoon

Postby Janix » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 4:38 pm

I visited the event last night and was able to drop off flyers to each team together with a spoken overview (discussion in some cases) of the UKPA's activities.

There were five tables (four to five people on each team) and the event was organised by Dan. Dan believes that there is massive potential to grow the event by citing the vast number of general knowledge quizzes that take place each week.

The event was based around the five senses - with four themed rounds given up front to the participants - all paper based, but with one required to be cut out and made into a cube. The fifth sense would have been the question to find the location - but as it was the first London event, participants were given a freebie on this one.

It actually took place between 7:00pm and 10:00pm (not 6 to 9), and the web site was not updated to reflect this later start time (due to us Europeans working harder/later...).

Do we have enough local interest to attend the next event. It will be on Tuesday Dec 10 - somewhere in central London. All the teams were eating meals as well as playing.
Janix

Postby puzzlemad » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 7:07 pm

Too far away for me.
puzzlemad

Postby Janix » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 11:12 pm

London puzzlers everywhere - do we have a team for Tuesday (where ever it is going to be - details as a problem - 6 pm Monday) . I just happen to be in town again early that evening.
Janix

Postby dickoon » Sat 07 Dec, 2013 8:38 pm

Whether there are enough UKPA people interested to make a UKPA team or not, tell your friends and bring them along too! There were 24 people forming 5 teams last time; fingers crossed for an even bigger turnout this time.

Sadly I won't be at this one either (or January's, but looks good for February...) but my poor, cold-ridden wife will be. Her team were European Champions last month!
dickoon

Postby PuzzlerNickG » Sun 08 Dec, 2013 11:36 am

I should be there this time, but it's likely to be a one-off rather than the start of a regular attendance.
PuzzlerNickG

Postby Janix » Sun 08 Dec, 2013 2:48 pm

Great - one more would help - teams are billed as from three people.
Janix

Postby Janix » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:07 am

Regretfully due to family circumstances I have to be somewhere else this evening. I have notified Nick G and sent him my apologies.
Janix

Postby dickoon » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 6:45 pm

The next event will be coming up on Tuesday 14th January and the theme will be Transportation. As usual, a location puzzle will be published at puzzledpint.com at 6pm on Monday; solving it will tell you which London pub you should go to for the event. Hints are available online or by telephone if you're struggling, and drop into the pub whenever you like between 7pm and 10pm on Tuesday. Come with your friends, whether they're hardcore puzzle fans or not, or come alone and make new friends! Last month's puzzles were relatively short (normally teams take something like two hours) but there was plenty of conversation afterwards. One Nick G. of this parish attended and will be able to confirm that a good time was had by one and all. The puzzles are free; the pints aren't.

If you want to hear what a Puzzled Pint sounds like in practice, the Fifty50 podcast has an outside broadcast episode with a recording of one attendee's experience. It'll give you the flavour of what turning up is like.

My wife will be attending again, hopefully bringing along some first-timers; I shan't be at this one, though we should both be able to go to the ones in both February and March.
dickoon

Postby mintypython » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks Dickoon for bringing the Puzzled Pint love to UKPA. I'm Dan, I currently organise Puzzled Pint London. I'd encourage you to pop along for a bit just to see what's going on, even if you don't have a team. Below is a blurb that I'm currently emailing around to get people interested in the event. I hope to see some of you there next Tuesday!

Hi - I organise something called 'Puzzled Pint' in London. It's essentially puzzles... in a pub. It's like a more varied pub quiz.

It takes place on the second Tuesday of the month, the next one being this coming Tuesday (14th Jan) from 7-10pm, in a different pub each month. We keep the location a secret until the day before when release it on our website (www.puzzledpint.com). However... you have to solve a puzzle to get to it! Don't worry though, there are plenty of hints to solve that puzzle online, so it should just be a bit of fun.

Speaking of which, the emphasis on the evening is FUN, so when teams get stuck they are allowed to actually ask for hints without penalty! We don't want them sitting there over their pints being completely stuck, and we'll nudge them as subtley or obviously as is required.

We invite people to come along in teams, although singletons without a team are more than welcome as we slot them in teams that already exist.

This is only the third month that we've done this in London, but it has been going in a couple of cities in the US for over three years. Excitingly, each city does the same set of puzzles to see which team was the fastest at solving!

It's a free event and more details and past puzzles are available at www.puzzledpint.com . Would you be interested in giving us a brief mention? We've had between 20-30 people at the previous couple of events and I would love more people to know about it.

We can be followed on twitter at @PuzzledPint .
Dan
mintypython

Postby PuzzlerNickG » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 9:48 pm

I would very much recommend this to anyone who can get there. You'll get several interesting but not overly difficult puzzles and at the same time can enjoy your favourite tipple and chat to like-minded people.

Sadly, I can't be there this month, but I am planning to be there in February.
PuzzlerNickG

Postby dickoon » Mon 10 Feb, 2014 2:01 am

The next event will be coming up on Tuesday 11th February and the theme will be Spinal Tap - because, you know, the date will be 2014-02-11 and, as the movie said, "this one goes up to 11". The location puzzle has already been posted; solving it will tell you which London pub you should go to for the event. Hints are available online or by telephone if you're struggling, and drop into the pub whenever you like between 7pm and 10pm on Tuesday. Come with your friends, whether they're hardcore puzzle fans or not, or come alone and make new friends!

My wife and I will both be attending and I'm really looking forward to it. Fingers crossed for another good turnout (23 turned up in January, courtesy of advertising in Londonist - one short of matching the London record!) and I'd be happy to make introductions if I can. You can get a view for the form of things by looking at past months' puzzles, and a couple of posts ago I linked to a podcast which will let you know how it sounds.

There is the potential slight extra complication of a possible RMT strike affecting London Underground services, but if the strike does go ahead and does operate as it did last week, it'd start at 9pm - so getting there by tube wouldn't be a problem, and the location is well-served by buses so getting back afterwards shouldn't be too tricky either.
dickoon

Postby detuned » Mon 10 Feb, 2014 6:24 pm

D'oh - I'd have loved to have come to this but I'm already playing football tomorrow evening. I'll give myself a reminder for March!
detuned

Postby Magoo » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 3:36 pm

I got my first taste of PuzzledPint on Tuesday and it was good fun. Thanks to Dickoon + Mrs D for a warm welcome, and nice to meet your friends too. Many thanks to Dan for an excellently hosted evening with fun puzzles. Best news of the night was that London record of about 40 attendees was smashed with about 60 people in 14 teams present. Great stuff.
Magoo

Postby dickoon » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 8:36 pm

Yep! It was a delightful evening and well worth the long journey. Good, indeed, to get to meet so many lovely people - and I know that the people I didn't get to talk to are likely to be just as lovely, and as interested, once I get to know them. I believe that the London attendance numbers have been approximately:

October - 24 players, 5 teams
November - 13 players, 3 teams
December - 23 players, 5 teams
January - 49 players, 12 teams

The main source of newcomers in December and January has been free advertising in the Londonist - and it doesn't hurt a bit that in January, the Londonist inadvertently advertised the Pint on the Monday as well as the Tuesday. :) There were definitely repeat attendees from previous months so the advertising is working.

Forty-nine is a really good crowd, and to get that far in four months is pretty hugely impressive. There's a good chance that people will be advertising DASH and possibly Hint Hunt to attendees next month, so UKPA advertising, pretty much every month, would not be inappropriate either. I would also be happy to help make introductions as far as I can; in a crowd of 49, surely someone might have some leads that might be useful for the WPC?
dickoon

Postby detuned » Sun 09 Mar, 2014 12:52 pm

Just to double check, is this happening next tuesday? I'll definitely be coming down if so!
detuned

Postby Magoo » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 8:22 am

All systems are go, judging from the website (which has been accurate before). If you want to join forces, Tom, I'm trying to assemble a short-notice team.
Magoo

Postby GarethMoore » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm going to come along - never been before, but sounds interesting!
GarethMoore

Postby detuned » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 6:29 pm

Just done the location puzzle (and subsequently laughed at the hints) here:

http://www.puzzledpint.com/puzzles/marc ... connection

I'm quite fond of that pub - and it sounds like we have a good team in the making!
detuned

Postby GarethMoore » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 9:32 pm

I think it's fair to say that the hints should be sufficient for anyone!

I'll be there at 7pm tomorrow.
GarethMoore

Postby dickoon » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 11:32 pm

Lovely to see you (plural) there! You looked like you were really fast; I hope (and guess!) that you all enjoyed yourselves. Did you get the UKPA / UK Open tournaments / etc. word out at all?

Incidentally, there's nothing to stop people from recasting an old Puzzle Pint and playing it as an after-hours attraction at the UK Open tournaments for a side-event giggle in the evening. Could be fun!
dickoon

Postby detuned » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 6:20 pm

Good to see you Chris, sorry if we didn't get to chat much. I'd definitely recommend it as a fun evening to anyone living remotely near London - for example I came down from Milton Keynes...
detuned

Postby dickoon » Mon 17 Mar, 2014 2:31 am

This month's standings have been published. It took about three weeks last time, due to holidays, but it was a very swift process this time. More huge turnouts; 11 teams in London (with, I believe, a total 48 players) even without the benefit of promotion in the Londonist, but 21 teams in Portland and 24 in Seattle, so bring even more friends next time!
dickoon

Next

Return to Puzzle Competitions