UKPA Sudoku Championship 2013 (On-line event)

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
puzzlemad

UKPA Sudoku Championship 2013 (On-line event)

Post by puzzlemad » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 2:42 pm

The UKPA are pleased to announce that the UK Sudoku Championship will take place over the weekend of 10th - 13th May, 2013.

The top three UK competitors will earn their places on the UK team for the World Sudoku Championships that will be held in China in October 2013.

For more information about how to qualify please see http://forum.ukpuzzles.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=835

The tournament will also double as the UK leg of the WPF Sudoku Grand Prix.

detuned

Re: UKPA Sudoku Championship 2013 (On-line event)

Post by detuned » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 7:54 pm

Instructions will be published on Sunday!

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 7:18 pm

The contest page is live: http://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=30
The instructions can be found here: http://www.ukpuzzles.org/file_download. ... 8fbf2aa047

ERRATA FOR INSTRUCTIONS VERSION 1:
1. There should be a vertical bar between cells R2C2 and R2C3 in the example puzzle for 12. Consecutive Sudoku.
2. The clue in the cage at R3C9 should be 11 in the example puzzle for 9. Killer Sudoku.
3. The example puzzle for 4. Deficit Sudoku has multiple solutions. See here for a new Deficit Sudoku.
4. The clue in the cage at R1C8 should be 20 in the example solution for 9. Killer Sudoku.

These have been corrected in version 2 of the instructions.
Last edited by detuned on Sun 05 May, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Nilz

Post by Nilz » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 8:19 pm

Looks good. :)
Spotted a typo though: In the answer key section, it says rows should be read from right to left- I presume this should be left to right (as borne out by the answer given).

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 8:28 pm

Wow that's incredibly stupid... err I mean just checking you were reading the important bits :)

Yes that should definitely read left to right - i've just updated that.

tojejedno

Post by tojejedno » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 1:10 pm

I printed the Instruction Booklet and when I was trying to solve the Diagonal Sudoku, I realized, that the diagonals are not printed. I checked the PDF and there I found them marked. I do not know, why it is not printed when it is shown, but I would be very pleased if you were able to fix it. (If you were able to fix it, please, tell me how - the same problem occurs in one of the Czech competitions and we do not know, what is wrong.)

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 6:58 pm

tojejedno wrote:I printed the Instruction Booklet and when I was trying to solve the Diagonal Sudoku, I realized, that the diagonals are not printed. I checked the PDF and there I found them marked. I do not know, why it is not printed when it is shown, but I would be very pleased if you were able to fix it. (If you were able to fix it, please, tell me how - the same problem occurs in one of the Czech competitions and we do not know, what is wrong.)
Is this an issue only with the diagonal puzzle? How do the lines look for arrow and palindrome?

karzym

Post by karzym » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 8:25 pm

Is it possible to make border lines a little bit thicker (especially in the irregular sudokus)?

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 9:54 pm

karzym wrote:Is it possible to make border lines a little bit thicker (especially in the irregular sudokus)?
It is possible and I did notice this issue with the instructions myself, although I'm fairly sure that the thin borders for the example puzzles are an unfortunate artefact of scaling the puzzles sizes down. In theory the borders should be 3x the width of the gridlines. This is the same as I've used to publish puzzles for many years and has always been sufficient. Thicker than that comes down to personal taste - I've had both kinds of feedback over the years. Yes it makes things clearer or no it becomes too distracting.

Anyhow, the instruction borders for whatever reason don't appear to have printed at a 3:1 ratio (although I encourage you to zoom in using your PDF viewer!) Let me assure you that the borders on the full sized puzzles I have printed look fine to me.

karzym

Post by karzym » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks for explanation.

greenhorn

Post by greenhorn » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 8:55 pm

I think that it is irrelevant, but Deficit sudoku probably has more solutions and one clue in Killer is wrong (however solution contains correct clue). Beside that I want to ask whether there will be only two linked classics (nr. 1) and whether the sizes of puzzles nr. 3, 4, 5 will be same as in examples. Looking forward to the contest.
Matus

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 9:18 pm

greenhorn wrote:I think that it is irrelevant, but Deficit sudoku probably has more solutions and one clue in Killer is wrong (however solution contains correct clue). Beside that I want to ask whether there will be only two linked classics (nr. 1) and whether the sizes of puzzles nr. 3, 4, 5 will be same as in examples. Looking forward to the contest.
Matus
I'll update the killer clue in the errata, and perhaps update the deficit puzzle if necessary. Thanks Matus!

To answer your questions: all competition puzzles are the same format and grid size as in the example puzzles. So Surplus and Deficit (puzzles 3 & 4) are 7x7, and Odd-Even-Big-Small (puzzle 5) is 8x8. Additionally, there are two linked 6x6 grids for puzzle 1. Although more is a nice idea for another time. Hope that helps!

greenhorn

Post by greenhorn » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 9:28 pm

Thank you, Tom. It helps me a lot. It is much better to know how the real competition will look like.
I hope that correct example puzzles always help the inexperienced players not to doubt about theirs solving skills.

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 01 May, 2013 1:05 am

I found (at least) two solutions to the deficit puzzle in the instructions, so I decided to make a new puzzle. It's quite late now but I've gone through this about 4 times and I'm fairly sure this one is safe. It's nearly as good as the competition puzzle ;)
deficit.pdf
(7.21 KiB) Downloaded 806 times
I will upload a revised version of the instructions at the weekend.

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Wed 01 May, 2013 8:21 am

Still haven't finished the booklet but worth pointing out that there is a bar missing in the Consecutive in the second row between cells 2 and 3. In the Killer, the top 2-cell cage in the right-hand column should have a total of 11 The top right 4-cell cage is correct in the puzzle but the total is misprinted in the solution. Glad that you've spotted the multiple solutions to the Deficit. Some of these examples are really hard, but the Odd was a very rewarding solve.

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 01 May, 2013 10:42 am

David - I've added the misprinted killer solution to the errata here - we've already spotted everything else. Sadly I can't make that any more prominent but like I say I'll upload a corrected version of the instructions this weekend. If you find anything else I'll be really grateful if you let me know.

I'll be honest and say that I haven't really tested the instructions puzzles - the majority are either old competition puzzles or else lifted from my blog. I think it was the two 7x7 puzzles and the linked 6x6 that the examples had to be made from scratch. After writing competition puzzles, motivation for writing new puzzles for the instructions is somewhat low and so basically I fall back on the pool of previously written puzzles (or else I beg Gareth for some!)

Anyhow, perhaps it's worth reiterating that some of the example puzzles will be harder than the corresponding competition puzzles, and some will be easier, and sometimes the disparity is quite big.

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Thu 02 May, 2013 5:50 am

Please all be aware that I've moved this topic into the "Competitions" section as that seemed more appropriate for the comments. I believe that there will be a shadow in the "Announcements" section so that all comments in either will be captured.

tojejedno

Post by tojejedno » Thu 02 May, 2013 10:35 am

Is this an issue only with the diagonal puzzle? How do the lines look for arrow and palindrome?
Yes, other lines are printed correctly.

detuned

Post by detuned » Fri 03 May, 2013 12:51 am

The diagonal lines are the same colour as the arrow/palindrome lines. The two differences are that the diagonal lines are thinner and that they are dashed - otherwise they were produced identically. At this stage my opinion is that it's probably a printer issue where the printer doesn't understand dashed lines and so doesn't know what to print.

I will prepare a test page in the same format of the puzzle booklet later, and if necessary some test files to see if we can definitely identify the issue.

emma

Post by emma » Fri 03 May, 2013 5:31 pm

I've come across problems with pdfs not printing as seen on-screen when printed direct from Firefox - saving them and then opening with Acrobat gets around this. It may not be the same glitch, but may be worth a try.

detuned

Post by detuned » Fri 03 May, 2013 8:38 pm

Ok - here's a test file with the same format as the competition puzzles. I suppose I'd expect 1 to have the same problem, 2 to be ok, and who knows with 3-5... :roll:
testing.pdf
(73.42 KiB) Downloaded 858 times

Kodyn

Post by Kodyn » Sun 05 May, 2013 1:59 pm

Try to practice on UK WPF Sudoku Grand Prix!

In our Daily League we are preparing for you these sudoku variants:
06.05.2013 - XV Sudoku (practice on WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — UK Sudoku Championship)
07.05.2013 - Diagonal Sudoku (practice on WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — UK Sudoku Championship)
08.05.2013 - Thermo Sudoku (practice on WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — UK Sudoku Championship)
09.05.2013 - Deficit Sudoku (practice on WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — UK Sudoku Championship)
10.05.2013 - Killer Sudoku (practice on WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — UK Sudoku Championship)
11.05.2013 - Surplus Sudoku (practice on WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — UK Sudoku Championship)
12.05.2013 - Palindrome Sudoku (practice on WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — UK Sudoku Championship)

http://sudokucup.com/node/1901?typ=varianty

tojejedno

Post by tojejedno » Sun 05 May, 2013 4:05 pm

detuned wrote:Ok - here's a test file with the same format as the competition puzzles. I suppose I'd expect 1 to have the same problem, 2 to be ok, and who knows with 3-5... :roll:
testing.pdf
I tried printing the testing version and probably found the problem - in the testing PDF everything was printed correctly. Then I tried once more printing the IB and I realized, that when it is printed from net page, the dashed lines disappear, when it is printed from downloaded PDF (from my PC), lhe lines are OK.
I expect that the competition puzzle booklet will be printed from downloaded PDF, so the problem is solved.
Thanks for your time!

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 05 May, 2013 5:37 pm

No problem, I'm glad we have identified the error!

As promised, I have updated the instructions to reflect the errata posted above. These changes were minor. Version 2 can be found here:

http://www.ukpuzzles.org/file_download. ... 8fbf2aa047

detuned

Post by detuned » Fri 10 May, 2013 11:02 am

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING EARLY FINISHING BONUSES

After some consideration, a partial bonus system will be in force for this competition. Solvers who finish early with 15/16 correct answers will score a partial bonus of 1 point for each 30 seconds saved (equivalent to 1/3 of the finishing bonus rate). The partial bonus will be capped so that the maximum score achievable with the partial bonus is the championship total: 720 points.