UKPA Sudoku Championship 2013 (On-line event)

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
gunthedam

Re: UKPA Sudoku Championship 2013 (On-line event)

Post by gunthedam » Tue 14 May, 2013 2:12 pm

It's ok.. Thanks for this nice contest.. I'm already happy with my result 8-)

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 14 May, 2013 3:53 pm

detuned wrote:... please note that your wrong submission came at 1:55:21, and your last correct submission was at 1:57:34.
A new feature on the results page is the ability to see what time each answer was submitted.
Hover over the Puzzles solved "x/y" text to see. (Works on most good browsers)

rodders

Post by rodders » Tue 14 May, 2013 4:28 pm

Many thanks Tom and all the organisers/testers. An excellent set of puzzles, even though one of them (Arrows) defeated me twice during the contest and cost me a lot of time and any hope of a decent finish!

Many congratulations to David, Michael and Neil, especially David for completing the set. Together with Tom, looks like a strong team for the WSC!

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Tue 14 May, 2013 7:01 pm

rodders wrote:Many thanks Tom and all the organisers/testers. An excellent set of puzzles, even though one of them (Arrows) defeated me twice during the contest and cost me a lot of time and any hope of a decent finish! Many congratulations to David, Michael and Neil, especially David for completing the set. Together with Tom, looks like a strong team for the WSC!
And many thanks, congratulations and best wishes for WSC from me too - my downfall was the palindrome !

Nilz

Post by Nilz » Tue 14 May, 2013 9:14 pm

Awesome performance David, congrats! See you in Beijing, I hope!

MichaelC

Post by MichaelC » Tue 14 May, 2013 9:34 pm

Thank you to Tom for setting a great puzzle competition. They were fun to solve. Congrats to David for an impressive performance.

purifire

Post by purifire » Wed 15 May, 2013 5:05 am

First of all Congrats to Kota for winning it handsomely and to David for winning the UK Championship. The test was really good. I know a lot of people might think it to be very easy but I would like to say that when you are creating a contest with a dual purpose(WPF GP and the UK Championship), I think a right balance of puzzles is very much required. The puzzles cannot be to hard to discourage and dishearten the average player who is having a go at the national championship. In that context, Tom, you have struck a wonderful balance.

I have seen a few posts regarding bonuses. Alan has been doing a wonderful job maintaining the system alone(my assumption). Though I do not have any problems whatsoever, My request is for the future, to have a message of some sort which tells a solver that their answer is submitted. I resubmitted in a gap of two minutes as I was not sure if the previous submission was successful or not. This doubt was doubled with the problems I was having with my comp at that time. Those two minutes bonus could have cost me a couple of ranks and we can all either cry about it or simply get on with it. I prefer the latter. No system is ever perfect and there will always be scope for improvements.

Once again a great job done by Tom C and Alan in providing this wonderful test.

PS. Alan it was great meeting you in Scotland and here is looking forward to sharing another beer with you in Beijing. Oh Tom and Mike too :)
Last edited by purifire on Wed 15 May, 2013 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

gunthedam

Post by gunthedam » Wed 15 May, 2013 5:20 am

Nice talk. I'm amazed with your good performance and I'm wonder when will I beat u..

purifire

Post by purifire » Wed 15 May, 2013 6:24 am

gunthedam wrote:Nice talk. I'm amazed with your good performance and I'm wonder when will I beat u..
I am not the best in the world... If you want to beat someone aim for beating the best in the world :)

gunthedam

Post by gunthedam » Wed 15 May, 2013 6:34 am

nope. I think I just want to beat u only... :twisted:

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 15 May, 2013 8:53 am

purifire wrote:My request is for the future, to have a message of some sort which tells a solver that their answer is submitted. I resubmitted in a gap of two minutes as I was not sure if the previous submission was successful or not.
There is no harm in submitting extra times. If there is no change, nothing will be updated, including your last entry timestamp.

It is very difficult to make our contest engine as featured and smooth as the LMI version, of which I am in complete admiration!
I know there are improvements that can be made, which I plan to do at some time.
eg, Better entry form; Last CORRECT submission time; Penalty overtime; better communication with the contest administrator; etc.
However, we have a system that works for us, which is the most important thing. (And yes, it is just me working occasionally on it)

Authors are welcome to host contests on our system. It is somewhat underused...

purifire

Post by purifire » Wed 15 May, 2013 1:22 pm

PuzzleScot wrote: It is very difficult to make our contest engine as featured and smooth as the LMI version, of which I am in complete admiration!
Hi Alan, I was in no way trying to compare any system and your answer assures me that I am where I should be on the points table :) The site and the system worked wonderfully and there are no issues whatsoever.

Was discussing a few features with Tom, post the contest, which I will ping you later.

Thanks

Rishi

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 15 May, 2013 6:15 pm

First of all, thanks everyone for the kind words. I put in a lot of work with the puzzles and the formatting and the general coordination of things, but the other side of the job is with the IT, and it has been brilliant to have Alan in the background keeping things ticking over. For instance with the partial bonus came about from Alan saying "we can do this, and this will improve things." There are many little features in the background that most people can't or don't see that make things run smoothly. And the job isn't done when the contest starts - halfway through the contest Alan was messaging me with neat little features that he'd been working on for fun.

Also thanks to Liane Robinson, Deb Mohanty and Thomas Snyder who helped test the event. The GP series has been a huge success but an unfortunate corollary of this is that everyone wants to compete and so there are very few people available for testing. I'm very grateful to our testers for providing quality feedback at such short notice!

I have a few remarks I've made in private to various people who have been interested, but if anyone has any questions about any of the puzzles or the competition in general then please feel free to ask them here.

For example, after testing we were well aware of what the likely best finishing time would be, and how that might translate into number of finishers, and how this would essentially turn the competition into a sprint for the best solvers. I would argue that this is not a bad thing! It is not my belief that any of the puzzles were too "easy," but I would remark that under other circumstances there might have been extra puzzles at a similar overall difficulty level. Part of my guiding philosophy was to keep the puzzles types as simple and easy to understand to make sure this competition was accessible to as many different people as possible. I like to think that it is always possible to surprise and entertain people in new ways with familiar puzzle types that they thought they knew inside out ;)

gunthedam

Post by gunthedam » Wed 15 May, 2013 7:29 pm

Brilliant! :idea:

Shaghayegh

Post by Shaghayegh » Thu 16 May, 2013 8:47 am

Hi, Please give me the answers of Puzzle./Thank you

detuned

Post by detuned » Thu 16 May, 2013 8:35 pm

gunthedam

Post by gunthedam » Sat 18 May, 2013 11:09 am

Why my result doesn't link with my result in Sudoku GP? Someone please take a look on my problem :o . Thanks

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 18 May, 2013 11:34 am

gunthedam wrote:Why my result doesn't link with my result in Sudoku GP? Someone please take a look on my problem :o . Thanks
Probably because you used a different email address, a different nickname, or a different real name when registering for the GP at the WPF.
Please send your request to <hana.koudelkova@worldpuzzle.org>, including and names/addresses/nicknames that you used here and at WPF. I'm sure it won't be a problem to include your score.

I note there are a few people who missed the UK round only. If anyone else thinks they should have been included in the Sudoku GP, again, please email Hana with your details.

gunthedam

Post by gunthedam » Sat 18 May, 2013 11:52 am

Yeah I had to register with this email since my registered email in GP has to wait for admin aproval. so I use this email instead that but looks like make a problem now. ok I already send mail to hana. Thanks. Hope nothing bad happen.. :oops:

gunthedam

Post by gunthedam » Sun 19 May, 2013 11:13 am

Look like director Hana really busy..Mail I sent to report my problem still doesn't has any reply..Nothing change in the result as well.. :?:

emma

Post by emma » Mon 20 May, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm often quite busy between Saturday lunchtime and Sunday lunchtime too. There's plenty of time to resolve the issue before the end of the series!

gunthedam

Post by gunthedam » Mon 20 May, 2013 2:08 pm

emma wrote:I'm often quite busy between Saturday lunchtime and Sunday lunchtime too. There's plenty of time to resolve the issue before the end of the series!
Sorry..

gunthedam

Post by gunthedam » Tue 21 May, 2013 2:38 am

ahh..finally my problem has been solved..good to know that..case closed. :mrgreen: