UKPA Sudoku Championship 2013 (On-line event)

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
detuned

Re: UKPA Sudoku Championship 2013 (On-line event)

Post by detuned » Fri 10 May, 2013 12:36 pm

The contest has now started. A friendly reminder: it's not permitted to discuss - either here or anywhere else - anything to do with the championship puzzles until the competition is over. Thank you for your cooperation!

Lord_Farin

Post by Lord_Farin » Fri 10 May, 2013 1:29 pm

There is a PHP error in the bonus script. I hope this does not affect my submission (which expires in ~3 minutes)?

Namely, this:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',' in /home/<deleted> on line 87

[** Admin edit: Problem identified and fixed quickly - no-one was adversely affected by this.]

detuned

Post by detuned » Fri 10 May, 2013 1:34 pm

There is no problem with the raw scores, and your submission has definitely not been affected. The bonuses, where appropriate, will be adjusted later!

swatimanglik

Post by swatimanglik » Sat 11 May, 2013 2:06 pm

How to retrieve the password???

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 11 May, 2013 2:10 pm

Registration note
When registering, please ensure you check the option to say "No. I am human".

Several people have not done this, so there is a delay until admin read their email, and manually activate the account. Thanks.

For those who forget their password, go to the login page, and click the text that says "I forgot my password"
It will ask for both your username and the email you used to register, then send you an activation link to set a new permanent password.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 11 May, 2013 2:15 pm

swatimanglik wrote:How to retrieve the password???
I presume you mean the password for the contest PDF? (Otherwise, how would you have logged in to post that message?)
From the contest page, go to the Answer Submission Page. From there, click START NOW to reveal the password. Then your countdown timer will start.

You should of course download the contest PDF before doing this, to save time.

Please enter your answers as you solve. If the timer runs out, you can not enter any more answers.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun 12 May, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi organizers,

How long does it take approximately before the comments I have written in the comment box on my score page are taken into account?
Not that I want to rush you, BTW. :-)

Best regards, Richard

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 12 May, 2013 4:35 pm

Sorry, it took me rather longer than I thought to get back home last night. I'm looking into things now!

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 12 May, 2013 4:38 pm

Also, for everyone missing commas in their submissions, I'd say firstly this was mentioned quite clearly in the instructions, and secondly I'm sporadically updating scores and you will be getting your points!

Caca

Post by Caca » Sun 12 May, 2013 6:02 pm

detuned wrote:
tojejedno wrote:I printed the Instruction Booklet and when I was trying to solve the Diagonal Sudoku, I realized, that the diagonals are not printed. I checked the PDF and there I found them marked. I do not know, why it is not printed when it is shown, but I would be very pleased if you were able to fix it. (If you were able to fix it, please, tell me how - the same problem occurs in one of the Czech competitions and we do not know, what is wrong.)
Is this an issue only with the diagonal puzzle? How do the lines look for arrow and palindrome?
Hi, Tom.
My competition entry I opened in my default pdf reader - Foxit.
A few seconds I just stared blankly - no numbers, just graphics. Neither XV!
Quickly Adobe Reader and everything was fine. But it was a shock :-)

uvo

Post by uvo » Sun 12 May, 2013 6:16 pm

I am using Foxit as well, and it works fine for me.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 12 May, 2013 6:23 pm

I think the heart of the issue is that the puzzles are stored in the PDF as text and lines rather than images, and some browser PDF viewers are fundamentally bugged. But I can't do anything about software which doesn't work properly - not my problem :roll:

I will also add that if you read the instructions, it does say:
It is recommended that both example and competition puzzles are printed from a PDF viewer, and not directly from a web browser.
EDIT: sorry, i wasn't aware that foxit was PDF software. I assumed it was a firefox add-on! I am doubly sorry you were also forced to use Adobe reader ;) !

sudophile

Post by sudophile » Mon 13 May, 2013 3:52 pm

the end time is Tue 14 May 2013 00:00 BST (GMT+1). does it mean i can solve the puzzles tomorrow or the competition finishes tonight?

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 13 May, 2013 4:19 pm

To solve with the full 2 hours, you should begin solving by Mon 13 May 2013 22:00 BST (GMT+1). Less than 5 hours to go!

Kodyn

Post by Kodyn » Mon 13 May, 2013 7:48 pm

I'd like to thank you for a very nice competition!
There were really lovely designed puzzles and it was fun to solve it!

Thank you very much!
Kodyn

Black Tiger

Post by Black Tiger » Mon 13 May, 2013 8:12 pm

Those sudokus that I solved were really nice!
And definitely others are nice too :p
Thank you very much :)
I gave up Odd and Extra Region in the middle, but with regard to other ones I assume they had a nice point too, I look into them right now :p
Thanks again ;)

Caca

Post by Caca » Mon 13 May, 2013 8:53 pm

uvo wrote:I am using Foxit as well, and it works fine for me.
I don't no, have last release.
But Windows are Windows - everything is possible.

Caca

Post by Caca » Mon 13 May, 2013 9:01 pm

detuned wrote:I think the heart of the issue is that the puzzles are stored in the PDF as text and lines rather than images, and some browser PDF viewers are fundamentally bugged. But I can't do anything about software which doesn't work properly - not my problem :roll:

I will also add that if you read the instructions, it does say:
It is recommended that both example and competition puzzles are printed from a PDF viewer, and not directly from a web browser.
EDIT: sorry, i wasn't aware that foxit was PDF software. I assumed it was a firefox add-on! I am doubly sorry you were also forced to use Adobe reader ;) !
Yes, this is software, but have add-on for firefox, and I printed maybe directly from web. I try printing directly downloaded file.

davep

Post by davep » Mon 13 May, 2013 10:41 pm

Tom --

Very nice set of puzzles, enjoyed the competition. Thanks for your hard work!

Cheers,
Dave

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Tue 14 May, 2013 1:23 pm

Results are up now. Huge congratulations to everyone, especially *anyone* who managed to clear all sixteen in the time available, but particularly to David - the overwhelming UK winner - and to Kota!

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 14 May, 2013 1:27 pm

you've beaten me to it Chris, thanks :)

I'd like to thank everyone who took part making this an overwhelming success for the UKPA. Thanks also to our testers, and especially to our chairman Alan who has put in a lot of hard work behind the scenes!

greenhorn

Post by greenhorn » Tue 14 May, 2013 1:34 pm

I haven´t seen the message about bonuses for 15 solved puzzles before starting the contest. I have submitted 15 puzzles about 1:55:00 and then solved the last puzzle and submitted its wrong solution in 1:57:30 (or so). Now I realised that the bonuses were calculated on behalf of the time of last sumbission, not the last correct. I do not want to complain, because everyone has the same conditions, but I think that it is strange, when it is much advantageous not to solve/submit some of the puzzles to get more points.
Although, I really like all the puzzles, the whole contest was too easy. Thanks.

Matus

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 14 May, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Matus, the partial bonus was limited to 720 points. There was no way for someone correctly solving 15 puzzles to beat someone correctly solving 16 puzzles. With regards to your situation, it's unfortunate, but please note that your wrong submission came at 1:55:21, and your last correct submission was at 1:57:34. Without this last submission you would not have qualified for partial bonus and therefore you are certainly better off for having submitted this answer.

gunthedam

Post by gunthedam » Tue 14 May, 2013 1:50 pm

I would like to know if I can claim some bonus points that I lost due to double submission. I have to correct back my answer after submitted all for the first time for number 3 and 4 since both just misplaced with each other. Bad thing that I forgot the time I submitted first. Maybe it's not really big points that I can get but maybe just wishing my rank can be up more when I look at the gap between me with the upper rank..

p/s: I have sent comment on answer page but how to know whether someone has already take the action for my problem or not?

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 14 May, 2013 2:07 pm

Sorry, we have been quite busy in the last few hours! We regret that we felt the fairest thing to do was to not to uphold your claim. This is because the later submitted answers over-write the time stamp of the earlier submitted answers, and so there is no way to check that your swapped answers were actually correct. I am sorry this has had a negative effect on your rank!

At least this is what I understand from Alan - please correct me if I have the technical details wrong...