Hausigel Contest Series

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
kiwijam

Re: Hausigel Contest Series

Post by kiwijam » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:19 pm

Thanks everyone,

Yes a surprising (and pleasing!) final result.
I wasn't feeling very confident beforehand, but did all the previous mazes I could find (Roland's blog is always helpful). Also I found some by Palmer Mebane at http://www.clickmazes.com/noleft/ixnoleft.htm from 2005, when he was still at high school! And a little luck is always appreciated, I got through them all without stumbling much.
For the arrow mazes I had a system where I coloured all the 1-step cells first, then the 2-step cells a different colour, etc. My answer for the larger puzzle was much shorter than what others found, so that saved me some time.
I was worried about the Eschers, but kept trying options until they relented. And the double maze was easier when I started from the exit and worked backwards to link up to the start-options (also did this with the 2x1).

Apparently only 5 of my 13 answers matched Roland's original answer key. And one of those 5 was the Cycle (my favourite), which I was solving logically and so proved it had multiple options, but randomly chose the official solution. So lots of multiple answers it seems, but that is no problem for mazes, especially hard ones!

Yes Neil, at one point I was below you on the table (sorry for raising your hopes ;) ). I made a typo in one answer, and for another one (the rolling block) my answer was so long that the webpage was truncating it back to 50 characters. I noticed it once and resubmitted it before the test end, but thought it was my mistake until I found it had been truncated again.

And thank you Roland, this test in particular must have taken a long time to create the contest book for, the mazes were large and complicated.

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi James,
many thanks in return. Yes, the design occupied me for quite a while; in particular, I needed three days just to draw the Escher mazes. I guess I should have invested another 30 minutes to check the uniqueness of the solutions. (Although I agree that multiple solutions in mazes are not always a problem, many of them were unintended. Sorry about that.)
Roland

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 1:42 pm

Hello,
the total scoring has been updated; changes are still possible. If you find any mistakes, please let me know until Sunday. After that, I wll officially close the HCS.
Hausigel

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 11:57 am

Dear puzzle friends,
the HCS is now officially closed, there will be no more changes in the scoring table. Congratulations to Ulrich Voigt (uvo), Hideaki Jo (deu) and Nikola Zivanovic (nikolaz), and to the following participants in the table as well.
I would like to thank again all participants. Many thanks especially to the Japanese delegation which took part in all the individual contests in great numbers, and which has raised the overall level of the HCS considerably. Of course, I also thank all the other participants, the regular ones as much as the occasional ones.
You will find a few statistics in my blog.
Hausigel

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 12:29 pm

Hello,
I have set up another contest on the LM initial page, "Dream within a Dream". The contest takes place in "Rallye" mode, which means that there will not be a short time window for solving the puzzles; the contest will run over a year in total. Since I designed the puzzles at the same time as the HCS, you are welcome to view this contest unofficially as "HCS 13". Otherwise - just view it as a Christmas present.
Hausigel

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 3:18 am

Hi Roland,

Ein frohes Weihnachtsfest und alles Gute zum neuen Jahr!

Looks interesting. To clarify, the Rallye mode means that the total time begins on 24/12 for everyone (not when we click the Start button), and also we can (re)submit answers without penalty and see our current score on the Ergebnistabelle. Is that correct?

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:41 pm

kiwijam wrote: Looks interesting. To clarify, the Rallye mode means that the total time begins on 24/12 for everyone (not when we click the Start button), and also we can (re)submit answers without penalty and see our current score on the Ergebnistabelle. Is that correct?
Pretty much. You should not view it a contest in the pure sense; the score is of minor importance, and the table is sorted by submission time, measured from 24/12 (so it does not have to be related to solving speed). You will be able to see the scoring table, just not the entries of the other participants.
By the way, you should not expect too much from the puzzles themselves. They are an experiment of mine; the focus is on the "mystery" component, not the actual solving process.

uvo

Post by uvo » Wed 28 May, 2014 6:10 pm

To pay homage to this great contest series, I have prepared another contest:

Best of HCS

It consists of 12 puzzle types, one from each HCS contest, with one or two puzzles each. The instructions are available both in German and in English.

The contest runs from May 30 to June 2 - the upcoming weekend from Friday to Monday. As in the HCS contests, you have 120 minutes to solve the puzzles. Enjoy!

uvo

Post by uvo » Thu 29 May, 2014 7:39 am

An updated version of the instruction booklet has been uploaded:

- The Divide and Conquer example had two solutions, which is fixed now.

- The rules for Plates and Doors have been amended: "In the beginning, all doors are closed."

Thanks to kiwijam for noticing.

uvo

Post by uvo » Fri 30 May, 2014 10:02 am

Contest has started. Enjoy!

uvo

Post by uvo » Mon 02 Jun, 2014 10:17 am

Congratulations to James for another clear win!

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 4:17 am

Thank you Ulrich, a great contest.
I'm having a good couple of weeks... but that leaderboard is still surprising! :shock:
I have posted more thoughts in the Logic Masters forum (http://forum.logic-masters.de/showthrea ... 239&page=2)