HALAS league tournement

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
sf2l

HALAS league tournement

Post by sf2l » Sun 21 Oct, 2012 4:03 pm

Let's stop resting on the laurels after the Croation glory and let's go back to solving.
The ninth edition of the HALAS league tournement is announced for next week.
Previously known as SODUKUCUP the tournement is divided in 4 stages, 90 minutes each (2 of Puzzle and 2 of Sudoku), to be played within 3 days during the next weekend
the link is http://sudokucup.com/node/2930
stefano

Kodyn

Re: HALAS league tournement

Post by Kodyn » Mon 22 Oct, 2012 2:24 pm

Hot news! Invite your friends to compete too! 26.-29.10.2012 on-line!

In the section of http://sudokucup.com/node/2930 HALAS league - 9th tournament (26.-29.10.2012) you can find the booklet with the puzzles you can try to solve.

The competition is coming and you must be curious about the points awarded to particular puzzles.
The following table shows you how many points are given to them.

http://sudokucup.com/sites/default/file ... bution.pdf

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 28 Oct, 2012 9:14 pm

Apparently UK participation is low so far, I encourage everyone to have a go as these puzzles are going to be of the highest order of quality! I'll be giving it a shot tomorrow when I get near to a printer...

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Mon 29 Oct, 2012 7:14 am

I had a go at the two puzzle rounds yesterday - good and enjoyable. I had a problem with the 2nd round in that the printer couldn't be persuaded to print them off - did the first page, then kept throwing errors no matter what I tried. In the end I finished up screen shotting everypage and copying into a word file - all this after the clock had started - probably wasted about 5 minutes (not that I would be contending for top spots!)

Kodyn

Post by Kodyn » Mon 29 Oct, 2012 8:49 am

puzzlemad wrote:I had a go at the two puzzle rounds yesterday - good and enjoyable. I had a problem with the 2nd round in that the printer couldn't be persuaded to print them off - did the first page, then kept throwing errors no matter what I tried. In the end I finished up screen shotting everypage and copying into a word file - all this after the clock had started - probably wasted about 5 minutes (not that I would be contending for top spots!)
I'm so sorry, that's not good. I'm not sure why it happen :( All PDF files are created the same way. There could be a problem that PDF - sudoku round 2 is bigger (there is raster picture).
But this is the first time when I hear about some problems with PDF files.

Kodyn

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Mon 29 Oct, 2012 1:38 pm

The problem was at my end. The printer had been switched on for quite a time yesterday and had printed various things off. I think that it must have been some problem with that. I've just switched it on now and tried again and it printed virtually immediately. Thank you.

emma

Post by emma » Mon 29 Oct, 2012 3:36 pm

I occasionally have problems with printing pdfs direct from the internet, and need to save them to my computer first. I've not worked out what determines when I have problems - maybe size?
At one point, I was having problems with printing from Acrobat at all, but could print them if I saved and opened with Foxit Reader instead. That problem seems to have resolved, but I've kept Foxit Reader installed as a plan B.

apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 » Mon 29 Oct, 2012 6:29 pm

Just finished this and am now regretting setting aside a 6 hour block as my brain hurts and functioned less and less as time went on. Plenty of puzzles to take a look at in a relaxed environment though!

Particularly enjoyed Puzzle 1 and Sudoku 1 if people wanted to have a last minute attempt at either.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Mon 29 Oct, 2012 8:37 pm

6 hours in one go. You'll be ready for the WPC in no time!

I found the puzzle rounds still had a "sudoku" flavour, I guess that is a strong area for Halas.

Kodyn

Post by Kodyn » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 10:02 am

There are result lists available :)
http://sudokucup.com/node/2999
kiwijam wrote:6 hours in one go. You'll be ready for the WPC in no time!

I found the puzzle rounds still had a "sudoku" flavour, I guess that is a strong area for Halas.
It's necessary because there are many players who solve sudoku but not all of them want to solve puzzles too. So we'd like to present them puzzles as friendly as we can.
I think that the puzzle competition was interesting too and Honza Krtek Novotný did a great job with preparing all rounds of the tournament.
apollo1001 wrote:Just finished this and am now regretting setting aside a 6 hour block as my brain hurts and functioned less and less as time went on. Plenty of puzzles to take a look at in a relaxed environment though!

Particularly enjoyed Puzzle 1 and Sudoku 1 if people wanted to have a last minute attempt at either.
Really? Ufff... so you are prepared to join WSC/WPC tournaments :D

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 12:01 pm

For whatever reason, my results are not showing. I did both the puzzle rounds and can see my individual scores when I click on "my solutions", so not sure why they're not on the list.

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 2:40 pm

Kodyn,

Hope you will see this message. I don't seem to be able to leave messages on the Sudokucup forum. I wasn't able to commit 6 hours to this competition last weekend, but I would very much like to try the puzzles which Jan created. Is it possible for the password protection to be removed on the puzzle files or for the passwords to be restored to the Passwords page?

Thank you,

David McNeill.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 31 Oct, 2012 4:13 pm

Same here.