UKPA Sudoku Championship 2012 (17th - 20th August)

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
puzzlemad

Re: UKPA Sudoku Championship 2012 (17th - 20th August)

Post by puzzlemad » Sat 18 Aug, 2012 9:52 pm

We have to be patient I'm afraid.

Nilz

Post by Nilz » Sat 18 Aug, 2012 10:07 pm

puzzlemad wrote:We have to be patient I'm afraid.
At least that will save me from refreshing the page every hour to see the latest updates. :)

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Sun 19 Aug, 2012 1:27 pm

All puzzles in the puzzle file are correct. There are no errors in them. If you have a concern about any particular puzzle, then please use the comment box at the bottom of your answer page.

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Sun 19 Aug, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks for the very nice test !

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Mon 20 Aug, 2012 5:13 pm

Had a reasonable stab at it, I think, but sabotaged by my printer deciding not to print all of the background shading, which made certain puzzles a little more difficult...

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:14 pm

The contest is over and the results are live so I'm presuming detailed discussion is now ok. Firstly congratulations to David for taking the title. From a personal point of view I'm very disappointed I got so bogged down for the best part of 40 minutes with dodgy arithmetic on the mystery killer, it was a test I should really have finished given how quickly I solved the other three puzzles I didn't look at afterwards. No individual puzzle really stood out for me, but I'd like to thank Gareth and Liane for providing a solid set of enjoyable puzzles and organising everything so smoothly!

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:27 pm

Yes, discussion now is absolutely fine! :)

Congratulations to the winners, and I have to say I'm so impressed with the standard of solving - in particular for the 6/7 who finished all of the puzzles I think that's a phenomenal achievement!

Thanks again also to Thomas Snyder for testing all of the puzzles (and example puzzles) in advance, and suggesting the answer keys.

rodders

Post by rodders » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:49 pm

I echo the thanks to everyone involved, especially Gareth and Liane. Very enjoyable set of puzzles, and many congratulations to David on a strong performance and a good victory.

From a personal point of view, I felt I should have been 70 points better as I wasted 10 minutes on admin (printer and laptop) issues at the beginning and then made a wrong choice of puzzle to try to solve in the final 10 minutes (I should have chose the Quad Max which I subsequently managed in about 7 minutes), but otherwise was reasonably pleased. Made a silly mistake on the Mystery Killer which cost me a bit of time as well, but I've come to expect at least one silly mistake per contest!

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 1:03 pm

I thought this was a really nice test. The puzzles were of a high standard, so congratulations to Gareth and the test solvers (Liane and Thomas). Thank you for a hugely enjoyable 2 hours.

I had printer issues, but it probably only cost me the score for one puzzle.

Started with the Mystery Killer and solved two thirds of it logically. Sorting out the big 23 area was a nightmare. I'm sure there must have been a nicer logical path than the one I took. The Non-consecutive corner Sudoku I found much easier. Then went back to the start and worked through the puzzles in order, skipping the Quad Max (unnececessarily as it turns out). Found the first 4 puzzles very easy, but puzzle 5 (Sudoku XV) appeared much harder than the 40 points on offer. Must have missed some logic somewhere. Puzzles 6-8 were all quite easy. (Actually, puzzle 8 was ridiculously easy.) The thermometer Sudoku slowed me down again and the multiple Sudoku and Blackout jigsaw were reasonably tough and I finished the latter less than a minute after the time elapsed. The Quad Max was much easier than these usually are, so more points went begging there.

I think my favourites were Snake, Sum Skyscraper (which I usually dislike), Multiple and Non-Consecutive Corner.

Huge congratulations to Hideaki for finishing with nearly 30 minutes to spare. And thank you to other international competitors for taking part.

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 1:27 pm

David - the complete sudoku XV grid with no decorations is ridiculously constrained, and actually solves quite smoothly. A couple of years ago I thought I had something of a triumph when I came up with a grid where no pair of adjacent digits summed to 10, but to have that simultaneously with no adjacent digits summing to 5 either is nothing short of remarkable. (I guess I have to withdraw that comment about no individual puzzle standing out!)

Having finally got the mystery killer, the 23 cage is very constrained. It must be a sum, and so the complimentary sum being 22 gives you that the set must be {1,2,3,4,5,8} or {1,2,3,4,6,7}. A proliferation of 7's gives you that it must be the former. My dickhead error wasn't, as I was convinced during the test, that I had some incongruence with the 720 cage, but that in the neighbouring 210 cage I had {5,7,8} rather than {5,6,7}.

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 1:28 pm

david mcneill wrote:(Actually, puzzle 8 was ridiculously easy.)
On the contrary, I found it very hard :!: The reason is quite simple and stupid: I forgot the "untouch" rule while solving. It is only at the end when it only remains 2 pairs 36 in boxes 4 and 6, with no 3 or 6 in the respective diagonals, thus no way to decide how to place these 4 digits, that I remember that it was not prohibited to use the "untouch" rule.

:mrgreen:

I enjoy all grids, even if I know that I'm not that fast on some types (mystery killer and blackout jigsaw especially). My favourite was perhaps "non-consecutive corner sudoku" which had a not easy but nice solving path. I found multiple sudoku pretty hard. Thermometer, snake, XV and arrow sudoku were also amongst my favourites !

Small question to organizers: why 830 points ? is that (times of Thomas)*10 ?

Thanks again.

Fred

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 1:43 pm

Fred: the points distributions might have been a nicer round number, with some extra puzzles left out for editorial reasons - or simply there was a decision to have points as nice round numbers with weights attached based on test solving data with no thought given to what everything summed to. I have used both approaches in the past!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 7:24 pm

I can't resist pointing out here that the UKPC will be 450 points, over 150 minutes, with 3pts/min bonus 8-)

joshuazucker

Post by joshuazucker » Tue 21 Aug, 2012 8:54 pm

I also loved the XV with no XV clues given, mostly as a puzzle design masterpiece, and it solved pretty nicely too. Didn't someone a little while back make a bunch of puzzles that all *looked* like classics but had some extra constraint like all the XVs being marked so you knew there were no XVs? Nonconsecutive is the common version of that but there were a bunch of others I'm now forgetting.

The Argyle was quite fun, too, using those diagonals a lot. I'm with Fred in forgetting the antiking on that puzzle until I needed it at the end and remembered I could have been using it all along.

The snake was a beautiful design, with the UKPA visual in addition to the nice solving pattern using those snakes to get started. The thermometer also solved very nicely.

The mystery killer had some fun stuff going on it it, too.

The Quad Max seems like a variant I need to practice more -- a lot of what maybe should have been obvious took me some time to figure out.

Overall I had a lot of fun! Thanks to the authors, web designers, and the organizers.

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Wed 22 Aug, 2012 7:16 am

Fred76 wrote: Small question to organizers: why 830 points ? is that (times of Thomas)*10 ?

Fred
You were right, but we rounded the times up to the next minute.
If you'd taken my times, then you would have been talking many thousands of points!

Thanks again from myself to everyone for taking part and for their comments either through the comment box on the answer page or here.

Massive thanks to Gareth for doing most of the background work - creating the puzzles, instruction booklet, puzzle booklet etc. and to Thomas for his test solving and comments on all the puzzles (including a couple that were dropped).