Croco-Liga team competition, starting in September 2012

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
berni

Re: Croco-Liga team competition, starting in September 2012

Post by berni » Wed 18 Jul, 2012 7:33 pm

[quote="driv4r"]OK, gotta say this mini-chat is slightly annoying (if typing long text)! :x

I'ts primarily meant to post an email address or thelike to use an other channel for communication. This is helpful for teams, where the member do not know each other yet.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Fri 20 Jul, 2012 2:45 pm

Anyone want to make a stab at deciphering the Tabellen page? Is it currently full of a whole season of test data rather than the three (?) test matches that happened? And where do the RatselPunkte numbers come from?

I presume this is made-up data, as I don't recall playing Team Japan as the Speiltag page suggests...

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Fri 20 Jul, 2012 3:28 pm

Lolol, yea, a lot of randomly generated results, also check Spieltag ;)
"Stupid is as stupid does." -- Forrest Gump

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 20 Jul, 2012 3:51 pm

drsteve wrote:Anyone want to make a stab at deciphering the Tabellen page? Is it currently full of a whole season of test data rather than the three (?) test matches that happened?
The first three days look genuine, and you can see the table after the first three days based on real results. The rest looks randomly (or, at least, procedurally randomly) generated. I am most offended that the random number generator predicted a 22:2 win for Southern UK over Northern UK for day 5. ;) (Kidding!)

I've thoroughly enjoyed the mini-league, even though the pace has been quite hectic. Roll on the real thing!

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Fri 20 Jul, 2012 4:04 pm

drsteve wrote:[---]
And where do the RatselPunkte numbers come from?
[---]
All individual results are considered in Rätselpunkte, every win gives 2 pts and every draw 1 pt, so 1 team can collect max 24 pts from 1 round. For example we scored 22 against Team Japan (10 wins and 2 draws). Also S = win, U = draw, N = loss.

rodders

Post by rodders » Tue 24 Jul, 2012 9:08 am

Since everything reset following the trial period, I re-registered the Southern UK team today and at the same time I thought I was adding afcwarren to the team but I fear I may have inadvertently cancelled the invitation (apologies Warren - my A-level German was a long time ago now!). I now can't work out how to re-invite you, so you may need to join the team again unless anyone can point me in the right direction ....

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 2:48 pm

***THIS IS FOR SOUTHERN UK TEAM MEMBERS***

Hey, I asked on Croco-Puzzle almost week ago already but as no one's replied I better ask here too: Matches will start pretty soon, so I wonder if we shall use this Mini-Chat for team communication or shall we use sth else? ;)

It's a rather annoying thing for proper conversation if you know what I mean :lol:

EDIT: What a funny thing I just noticed! I have automatic Google Translate (from German to English) on on Croco-Puzzle, so it translates every time I view sth and apparently it translates erika to heather on League > Active page! :D
Last edited by driv4r on Sun 16 Sep, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 3:27 pm

Although I'm technically south UK (somerset), and not totally familiar with all the croco-puzzles yet, I'd still love to help make up numbers if either team (north/south) wants an extra competitor. Let me know if you want me to tackle any...

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Sun 23 Sep, 2012 4:56 pm

As no one's replied I presume everyone likes the Mini-Chat...

And apollo1001, I can see that you have got into Northern UK team, so it's all good! :)

ColinMacLeod

Croco-Liga Week 1

Post by ColinMacLeod » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 6:13 am

An early "Good Match" to team Northern UK. I just finished the last of my team's puzzles, so I can now view the results. There were some close finishes across the 12 puzzles. I'll try to wait until Sunday to say more to avoid spoilers.

Trayton
-warwizard7

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:46 am

We have one puzzle still to be completed, but thanks for the contest. Looking forward to seeing the individual match results.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:39 am

I've been wondering: are there any UK solvers on Team US/UK? It's fun to imagine that Team US/UK might be made entirely from US/UK dual nationals, or perhaps we've been reading the name wrong all along and Team US/UK are covertly informing us all that we suck... *friendly grin*

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 7:38 pm

Well, our match is over. Well played to all involved. I rather think this is going to be fun.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 30 Sep, 2012 10:05 pm

Week 1 results are up. Northerners ahead of Southerners ;)

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Mon 01 Oct, 2012 7:51 am

True, but if the match had been between Northern UK and Southern UK, it would have ended up tied.

Everyone off to the WSC and WPC: travel safely and have a great week!

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Mon 01 Oct, 2012 12:42 pm

Nice one dickoon! Also, if we would have played against your opponents we would have won as well, so yeah, it's early days ;) But good job by Northern UK anyway.

Gotta say Team China played surprisingly well though!

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 8:45 pm

Sorry about 2 consecutive posts but I have posted in Mini-Chat already 2 days ago but no one has replied. Apparently sometimes people don't check it and there are no notification pop-ups or anything that tell you someone has posted in the league chat, so the only way to find out is to go there every time and look, which is not very convenient...

Anyway, I would appreciate it if someone would reply and re-assign my puzzles.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 10:23 pm

I have to confess to not checking the chat. I'm not sure about the tactics of assigning puzzles to individuals, but as far as I can see there are two schools of thoughts.

1) For a particular puzzle type, assign the highest ranked player to that puzzle in order to try for a guaranteed win. Order this by position on the relative ladders and scan through the different puzzle types. This is probably how I've ended up with killer and kakuro, bearing in mind i'm #7 for killer and #20 for kakuro, and I don't think anyone else is really anywhere near those positions on any other ladders. The theory here goes that this should at least guarantee us some points.

2) Give weaker players their stronger puzzles, and operate by the principle that the stronger players might pick up some odd points along the way. This is a little bit of a gamble, and requires some proper risk analysis. For example, although I'm #4 on the ladder for Masyu, it would make a lot of sense for erika at #17 to do it instead if it meant that I could get some points on another of my stronger types...

I'm afraid it looks too late to reassign puzzles for this week now :(

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Mon 15 Oct, 2012 12:07 am

I'm looking at it from slightly different perspective, which is similar to the 2nd strategy you mentioned detuned.

Well, in this case I had 2 puzzles of 12, which I was any good at, so let's say in those I would have had decent chances of winning at least 1. But apparently I was assigned only 1 of those 2, which also turns out to be the 1 that I'm worse at than the other. Which in turn means that the chances that I win any points are very-very low now.

At the same time you got 1 of the puzzles, which I hoped to get, but at the same time you have good number of ratings over 2000, including some of those, which are in this week's competition. Looking at our opponents' ratings they have only 1 guy whose rating in 1 puzzle is over 2000 and that's in the puzzle, which I was assigned to, and which I really wanted to avoid. None of the other players have ratings of 2000 or higher in any puzzle.

From that I think it's not easy to understand that you would have had pretty good chances of winning in any of those puzzles that your rating is over 2000 and it really seems to me that it might have been better for the team but well, now there is not much to do. I tried to get 1 of my puzzles re-assigned already from Tuesday, so I gave my best but I'm not the one who makes decisions, so the only thing I could do was to post in Mini-Chat. But in the end I guess it's also bad luck that there were only 2 puzzles that suited me this week and you are No 7 in the ratings in one of them. Oh well... :|

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 15 Oct, 2012 10:05 am

Well, as I said with #2, it's a gamble that requires some risk analysis - someone has to be prepared to do this before we start taking that gamble. I had no idea about the relative strengths of the team we were playing either, and although it looks like we might be stronger this week, there are going to be a fair few teams which are stronger than us.

Now, I think it's safe to assume that most teams will generally stick to #1, giving the strongest players their stronger types. Therefore you have to be pretty careful before you start reshuffling your banker puzzles. For example if we had switched killer and magnets. I'm forever making mistakes on magnets, and would not be confident at all about picking up a point there. Equally, I haven't taken the time to analyse where you might be on the killer ladder (your name isn't highlighted in bold like mine is ;) ), which even then could be misleading as I take it you are new to the ladder. So that switch would take a situation where I'd be fairly confident about getting 1 out of 2 points to a situation where there's a small chance we could get 2 points, but more plausibly we'd end up with 0.

I'd also suggest that before you bring the strength of the other team into play, did you firstly know who we were playing - last week, whilst we could rejig the puzzles - (I didn't check!) and what their strength was - last week? If you knew neither of those things then I think playing strategy #2 is pretty reckless, and that playing #1 was the correct decision.

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Mon 15 Oct, 2012 4:22 pm

Well, last week during the assigning phase we obviously couldn't see, which puzzles opposing team had assigned to their players. But we could see their team members and their ratings of course, which still gives some useful information.

Yea, I'm not high in the Killer Sudoku ladder as I haven't solved many and I'm not as good in it as in classic or comparison but out of this week's puzzles it was the one where I feel most confident and my rating's highest in it too. And you are extremely good in good number of puzzles, OK, maybe not in Magnets...

Anyway, tbh we should win this match with all kind of assignments (unless we mess up and make mistakes etc.) and hopefully in the future there are more than 2 puzzles that I stand a chance in every week ;)

rodders

Post by rodders » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 6:17 pm

Not sure we're giving much away at the moment discussing tactics here, but we probably ought to find a better place than the Mini Chat and this forum for the next lot of puzzle assignments :D

Given that some strategy was likely to be better than the random assignment of puzzles, I made some changes based on people's requests and their ratings - however I'm not sure that makes me the one who makes decisions (it certainly wasn't intended like that)! As Tom suggested I went with strategy #1 and a view to guaranteeing some points. Given this week's selection of puzzles, I don't think many of us got exactly what we wanted (I certainly didn't), but we will see whether it worked or not (no pressure on the Killer Tom!) ....

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Sun 21 Oct, 2012 10:44 pm

We are on the winning ways! Southern UK have beaten CrocoLores :P
Great job everyone! (y)

And rodders, I have asked about using another method for discussion for months now but everyone's ignored me, so I thought people where happy with the Mini-Chat :roll:

EDIT: Also Team China have beaten their opponents in the 2nd round with exactly the same score as they beat us, I think they are gonna be one of the teams to compete for the promotion, so it wasn't a shame to lose against them.

I think I better not discuss our next opponents here (just checked them out briefly), at least not now.

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Mon 22 Oct, 2012 6:53 pm

driv4r wrote:I think I better not discuss our next opponents here (just checked them out briefly), at least not now.
It would be interesting to know your strategy against your next opponent ! :mrgreen:

Fred

driv4r

Post by driv4r » Mon 22 Oct, 2012 11:23 pm

Heheheh, I'm sure it would be for you! You'd love that, wouldn't you? :lol:

Anyway, I'm not gonna entertain you this time, sorry.