Croco-Liga team competition, starting in September 2012

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
detuned

Re: Croco-Liga team competition, starting in September 2012

Post by detuned » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 2:21 pm

Result of the play-offs are in and Southern UK are up to the first division :)

http://www.croco-puzzle.com/Liga/index.php

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 7:28 pm

[desperately scans for the 'like' button]

Well done you!
A cursory glance at the 'team ratings' figures tells me us Northeners have a fight on our hands to stay up next season, with only 3 teams technically lower rated than us. Let's see huh? Looking forward to it already.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 7:31 pm

Oh, just a reminder to any Brits watching this with envy - there is a place still available on each team, where I'm sure most anyone would be warmly welcomed, regardless of puzzling expertise...

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 9:33 pm

I think those ratings must be based on individual stats - and I think the way we work as team really does count for a lot. I prefer this page: http://www.croco-puzzle.com/Liga/teamrating.php

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 11:56 pm

Hmm. Not sure why those numbers are different. But of course tactics play a huge role in a match outcome.
Our optimal performance tactic is to give Steve all the puzzles :P

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 6:21 am

Congratulations, Southerners!

The Croco-League is the most fun I've had from logic puzzles all year. It's also pretty low-commitment, just 2-3 puzzles every two weeks. ((ETA:)) And you even get to choose, pretty much, which types of puzzle you're going to solve. Thoroughly recommended if the principle appeals at all.

PuzzlerNickG

Post by PuzzlerNickG » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:14 am

PuzzleScot wrote:A cursory glance at the 'team ratings' figures tells me us Northeners have a fight on our hands to stay up next season, with only 3 teams technically lower rated than us. Let's see huh? Looking forward to it already.
Hmm.

A cursory glance at the 'team ratings' figures tells me us Southeners have a fight on our hands to stay up next season, with only 1 team technically lower rated than us. Let's see huh? Looking forward to it already. :)
detuned wrote:I think those ratings must be based on individual stats
A quick calculation shows those ratings are the average of the individual ratings of the four highest-rated players in the team -- so me and dickoon count for zilch! :) I think I prefer the other ratings page too.

The league has been a lot of fun, particularly in the last few weeks. I'm sure my puzzling has improved significantly over the year through regularly doing Croco puzzles.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:56 pm

If I understand the machine translation of this post correctly, there is not expected to be a Croco-League in its current format in 2014/5, and possibly not after that at all. Again, I may misinterpret the machine translation, but I get the impression that Berni wasn't enjoying running it, and was particularly not enjoying having to make some of the refereeing decisions that he has had to make over the years, which may not always have been received in the best spirit. Berni suggests running the league on a neutral web site, with a neutral team of organisers, and has kindly said that he would make his applets available if required. I get the impression that there is the desire for an online team competition of some form out there. (I have also just put "member of Northern UK puzzle team" on a recent CV, too!)

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. Many, many thanks to Berni for all the hard work he has put in over the years.