1st UKPA Sudoku Championship

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
shopaholic

Re: 1st UKPA Sudoku Championship

Post by shopaholic » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 1:55 pm

akashdoulani wrote:i had the same problem while submitting. after typing my answers when i submitted , i was asked to login again. after logging in , i had to retype the answers again. moreover there was no timer , so couldnt keep the check of timing. but overall it was a good experience
I had the same problem too. But that wasn't a big waste of time, I enjoyed the competition anyway! ;)

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 2:16 pm

I was also unclear about the rule that you needed to solve all 4 puzzles to score the 20 points in Question 1. I solved only one, as when I started I was expecting to get 5 points for each (I figured out from the solution entry that this was not the case).

I guess this is my mistake, but it was strange that there were no straight points for solving a straight sudoku - I thought this would be the point of Question 1.

Ronald

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 3:42 pm

Carelessness on my part regarding puzzle 1 - not reading the instructions. I solved three of them, didn't bother with the last because of the way that I'd picked my sheets up off the printer. Just had a quick look at the instruction file and it is certainly clear enough there. Learning point for me - read the instructions properly.

Thanks though to everyone involved for their hard work getting this up and running.

sf2l

Post by sf2l » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 10:19 pm

ronaldx wrote:I was also unclear about the rule that you needed to solve all 4 puzzles to score the 20 points in Question 1. I solved only one, as when I started I was expecting to get 5 points for each (I figured out from the solution entry that this was not the case).

I guess this is my mistake, but it was strange that there were no straight points for solving a straight sudoku - I thought this would be the point of Question 1.

Ronald
Now I have noticed it too. Not very logical but clear. Will not waste time next time

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 1:08 am

Full results will be available by 12:00 GMT Monday 8 Nov 2010 via the main contests page.

tjt_1005

Post by tjt_1005 » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 10:32 am

I saw the instruction booklet and read that points will only be awarded if all four puzzles are correct. I was really careless; I interchanged the answers of 1C and 1D.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 11:31 am

tjt_1005 wrote:I saw the instruction booklet and read that points will only be awarded if all four puzzles are correct. I was really careless; I interchanged the answers of 1C and 1D.
No problem. I can see this is exactly what you did, so I have swapped them round for you.

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 11:32 am

First off, a big thanks to everyone who had a go at this, and especially to those of you who have been generous with your feedback.

For myself, I wish to apologise for having a limited forum presence for the duration of this competition. Unfortunately I have had very limited internet access over the weekend. I'd have liked to have been following things a lot closer than a did, but I suppose that's life.

it seems there were a few technical issues here and there, but I hope these were isolated and didn't affect people too much. Our system is new and I think there were always going to be gremlins we missed. Rest assured these will be taken into account and fixed for all future UKPA events!

Thanks everyone,

Tom

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 11:43 am

And aside from Alan, I shouldn't mention the hard and tireless work of those who tested and made numerous improving suggestions along the way. These especially include Mike Colloby (our secretary), David McNeill and Jason Zuffranieri!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 11:48 am

The results are up! http://www.ukpuzzles.org/final-results.php?contestid=1

I do apologise for the minor technical issues some may have experienced. Fortunately I was able to rectify these quite quickly once I knew of the problem.
The next contest will be even slicker, with (hopefully) no technical issues ;) This was, after all, our first hosted competition, expected to be a "small test run" to test our abilities and capabilities in preparation for "bigger events" in the future.

We weren't expecting over 200 people to register for the competition(!), so I am delighted that it has been so popular, and run as well as it has!

Thank-you to everyone who participated. We hope you enjoyed our first contest, and we will see you all again some time soon 8-)

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 12:37 pm

Thank you Tom, Alan and every people who worked for this championship.

Grids were perfect: really nice and very well constructed.
killer sudoku, sudokurve and arrow sudoku were masterpieces !
sudokurve killed me, as a wasted lot of time, but made a mistake that I wasn't able to correct. At the end I solved Touchy, which was not that hard, but also made a mistake and had no time to fix it !

I was just afraid, when, saturday before playing, I entered answer subimission page without being logged and saw password and all codes in the form !!!
I'm sure these little technical issues will be corrected for next tournament here.

I want to congrat top3 players who where able to solve all puzzles, really great performance ! (as for WPC, there are one German and 2 Japanese on the podium :D ).

Fred

tjt_1005

Post by tjt_1005 » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks PuzzleScot. It was a mix of easy and hard puzzles (especially Sudoku Islands). I am looking forward to another Sudoku and/or Puzzle Competition!

Ours brun

Post by Ours brun » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 1:30 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:
Ours brun wrote:Technology did not work perfectly for me, as I was disconnected while submitting answers
Was this a problem with our servers, or with your own connection? Same question to zhergan.
Same problem than Stefano, Akash, etc.
I suppose I should have ticked the box "keep me online". Not a big deal anyway !

Waiting for the 2nd UKPA Sudoku Championship...
http://enigm-attic.blogspot.com --> sudoku variants and other handcrafted logic puzzles.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 1:50 pm

I have updated the session timeout to 3 hours (from 1 hour).
I don't foresee hosting any contests >= 3 hours duration, so that should fix that problem for the future.

Does anyone have any objections to displaying 'real name' on the results table?
I mention this because at registration, a box does say 'this information will not be made public'.
I think this should say '... will not be made public EXCEPT for competition results', or add a detail to the contest rules to say you agree that your real name will be published on the score table.

Any thoughts or objections - anyone? If there are no objections, I shall make the change at 12:00 GMT tomorrow.

Ours brun

Post by Ours brun » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 1:59 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:I think this should say '... will not be made public EXCEPT for competition results', or add a detail to the contest rules to say you agree that your real name will be published on the score table.
I also think you should do this ; at least the first option.

No problem to displaying my real name.
http://enigm-attic.blogspot.com --> sudoku variants and other handcrafted logic puzzles.

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 4:43 pm

I'm one of the 40 people who registered but didn't post up any results - mainly due to technical problems presumably connected with my own printer. I pressed 'Start' and got the pdf file up, but when I went to print it, all that came out of my printer was a jumble of numbers. I cancelled the printing, saved the pdf file and tried to print again but my printer had gone off line - by the time I was up and running again 30 minutes had elapsed and I was feeling a bit flustered so decided to do the puzzles at leisure!

Anyway, just to say what a great set of puzzles and I will definitely have a go next year. In a two hour stretch I managed to do the four classics, the diagonal, irregular, non consecutive, surplus, tens. and no tens. After that I also completed no touch, and touchy so not bad all in all. I am still puzzling over the Arrow, Sudoku Islands, the Killer and Sudokurve (can't see yet where the curves are supposed to go but that's just me!).

What was great about the contest was that there was something for every level of puzzler and not just the top few, so thanks to everyone involved for all the hard work.

Christine

afcwarren

Post by afcwarren » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 6:18 pm

Many thanks to Tom for the puzzles. The ones I managed to do were fantastic. Really loved the Killer, thought that was the best from the test and possibly the most enjoyable one I've ever completed! The Sudoku Islands puzzle was also ace but a stupid transposition error on my answer cost me. Certainly given me back the bug for Sudoku - going to have to put my Nikoli books down and buy a Sudolu magazine for the first time in ages!

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 8:29 pm

afcwarren wrote:Many thanks to Tom for the puzzles. The ones I managed to do were fantastic. Really loved the Killer, thought that was the best from the test and possibly the most enjoyable one I've ever completed! The Sudoku Islands puzzle was also ace but a stupid transposition error on my answer cost me. Certainly given me back the bug for Sudoku - going to have to put my Nikoli books down and buy a Sudolu magazine for the first time in ages!
afcwarren - if you've got bitten by the sudoku bug again I would certainly recommend Gareth's Sudoku Xtra mag if you haven't tried it already - it contains a fabulous selection of sudoku variants including loads of samurai variations covering a wide range of difficulty levels - and if you don't want exclusively sudoku puzzles there are some Nikoli variants included as well, and a great community puzzle section with all types of puzzles from some great puzzle authors.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Warren,

I noticed the silly transposition error. You need to be more careful in future - we are all still learning not to make that type of mistake!
Anyway, I am awaiting verification of nationality from the two 'UK' participants who finished ahead of you - both of whom I suspect are not British at all.
If, as I suspect, that is the case, then you should be quite excited!

Well done on a great performance, and I hope we see you more often in puzzle/sudoku contests! Just follow the 'competition' thread in the forums to be notified of anything new...

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 9:30 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:Anyway, I am awaiting verification of nationality from the two 'UK' participants who finished ahead of you - both of whom I suspect are not British at all.
If, as I suspect, that is the case, then you should be quite excited!
I think Mandy is from France... so it remains a single doubt for Warren... What for a suspense !!! :D

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks Tom and everyone,

I thoroughly enjoyed the contest, although there are a couple of types of puzzle that I simply don't like, and I obviously need to improve my speed generally !

Regards,
David

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 12:14 am

I believe angji is from Malaysia (that is declared as residency). Mandy has a .fr email address. I wish they'd respond!

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 1:09 am

I just checked down the list of participants again and the number of people and countries represented is fantastic! I'm so bloody impressed with this, good job everyone involved!

afcwarren

Post by afcwarren » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi Chris - I've got the last two or three of Gareth's Sudoku Xtra magazine and agree it is an excellent publication. Think I may need to concentrate on standard Sudoku for now to get my base solving speed up again.

PuzzleScot - Normally in these type of online tests, I have a couple of minutes to check at the end however on this time I was rushing a last puzzle (which I messed up anyway!) and submitted that answer with about 18 seconds left. Anyway, it wouldn't be a competition for my without a silly error :D

And finally, I agree with rolandx, the number of competitors and countries represented is fantastic.

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 09 Nov, 2010 2:21 pm

Anyone wanting to brush up on sudoku and variants in a fairly competitive setting, I have to point in the direction of fed sudoku (something like http://www.fed-sudoku.eu or something). Daily puzzles solved in sick times by some people - including many participants of this championship :) - as well as weekly variants, and a rolling competition (the krtek cup) as authored by Jan Novotny, who is one of the top Czech solvers (and this is very high praise indeed in terms of sudoku!)