1st UKPA Sudoku Championship

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Calavera

Re: 1st UKPA Sudoku Championship

Post by Calavera » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 9:41 pm

Before anyone else starts: I have the same error again. unfortunately when committing the first splution...

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 10:35 pm

Yes, submission fails for me too. I am sure it will be fixed very shortly so please carry on solving.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 11:15 pm

I've identified and fixed the problem, and given an extra 5 minutes to reenter any answer keys. Many apologies.
Yourself and 2 others were affected.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 11:39 pm

There will (should!) be a link to a results page when you are done. It will highlight the correct/incorrect answers so you can see your score. (not automatically calculated yet). Aplogies for the teething issues - I hope nobody was overly inconvenienced by the them. :oops:

Calavera

Post by Calavera » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 11:56 pm

Well, for me it's only a little bit training for the German Championship in two weeks, so I started without ambitions of a top position. So no harm done on my side ;).

Apart from unexpected surprises :D I liked the contest even though Sudokus usually belong to my least favorite logic puzzles.

Thanks for your efforts,

Calavera

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 12:13 am

Glad to have a happy camper on board :) and good luck for the German competition!

philip

Post by philip » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 3:56 am

how do i get the password to enter contest?

Anneke

Post by Anneke » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 8:22 am

I downloaded the password-protected pdf with the contest puzzles, but I can't find how to retrieve the password.
Where do I find the 'Start Contest' ?

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 9:01 am

The 'Start Contest' button is on the 'Answer Submissions Page'.

After you have competed, a link will be revealed on that page so you can see which of your answers are correct.

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 12:17 pm

Alan, please read your pm quickly !!!

Fred

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks Alan or Tom, it's much better like that !!!

Hope the competition will be fair ! ;)

Fred

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks again Fred, I'm afraid I can't take any credit for the wonderful technological job Alan has done on this whole project...i hope you enjoyed the puzzles though :)

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 3:08 pm

detuned wrote:Thanks again Fred, I'm afraid I can't take any credit for the wonderful technological job Alan has done on this whole project...i hope you enjoyed the puzzles though :)
I enjoy the puzzles, despite the fact I played like a spanish cow :evil: :evil: :evil:

Fred

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 3:32 pm

The puzzles were lovely and the technology worked perfectly (so far!)
Thanks both Alan and Tom for your hard work :)

Ronald

Ours brun

Post by Ours brun » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 4:13 pm

Very nice puzzles ; some of them were really great ones, thanks Tom.

Technology did not work perfectly for me, as I was disconnected while submitting answers - so I had to reconnect and type them again, which made me loose just the amount of time I needed to solve the last puzzle. :|

Anyway, thanks again !
http://enigm-attic.blogspot.com --> sudoku variants and other handcrafted logic puzzles.

zhergan

Post by zhergan » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 4:46 pm

Ours brun wrote:Very nice puzzles ; some of them were really great ones, thanks Tom.

Technology did not work perfectly for me, as I was disconnected while submitting answers - so I had to reconnect and type them again, which made me loose just the amount of time I needed to solve the last puzzle. :|

Anyway, thanks again !
Yes I agree. All of the puzzles were geniusly constructed. Thanks Tom for designing puzzles and UK Puzzle Association for organizing such a nice contest.

Like Bastien I had some connection problems and got panic in the last minutes. Sometimes technology works bad for you :( That was really like a nightmare for me also.

I really enjoyed the event :) Thanks for all.

Zafer

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 10:41 pm

Ours brun wrote:Technology did not work perfectly for me, as I was disconnected while submitting answers
Was this a problem with our servers, or with your own connection? Same question to zhergan.

Zhergan, I received your email and entered your answers manually in the database. Can you check the results page that I have entered them correctly please?

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Sat 06 Nov, 2010 11:11 pm

Just like to add my thanks to everyone involved with setting this competition up. I know that there has been an awful lot of hard work behind the scenes.

zhergan

Post by zhergan » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 1:13 am

PuzzleScot wrote:
Ours brun wrote:Technology did not work perfectly for me, as I was disconnected while submitting answers
Was this a problem with our servers, or with your own connection? Same question to zhergan.

Zhergan, I received your email and entered your answers manually in the database. Can you check the results page that I have entered them correctly please?
Hi Alan,

The problem was with my own connection. I couldn't open any other pages also for about 15 minutes :( (I mean my connection speed lowered too much and wait almost 6-8 min. to display a page completely. I tried to reload the competition's answer page but I could see only answer form of 7-8 puzzles :shock: and the lower part of the answer page where "Submit Answers" button exists couln't be displayed. When it was completely displayed my time was finished already. Luckily I could send you an e-mail before my time expires.) At that time I felt very bad because of not taking into consideration the warning on the competition page about entering our results. It would be better to enter the answer immediately when you solve a puzzle to avoid such problems.

Thanks for your help on this issue and nice contest.

Regards,

Zafer

tjt_1005

Post by tjt_1005 » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 9:07 am

I made two mistakes in the classic part (1C and 1D). Will 10 points be considered for 1A and 1B or is the whole thing 0? Additionally, when will the results (ranking) be posted? Thanks!

sf2l

Post by sf2l » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 9:42 am

A good competition. Thanks UKPA and congrats, not alawys a first contest runs so well.

I found the level of difficulty a bit variable and not always in line with the time it took me to solve. Perhaps is this subjective and depends on the individual attitude towards certain types of sudoku.

I have similar question to tjt: posted 3 answers for classics, score zero. Is this how the competition is meant (I do not see much of the point as the 4 diagrams are not linked in any way) or there will be a partial score award?

I also had a small technical problem, when refreshing the screen to check the residual time i was logged off and had to login again (a few times); probably the same problem occurred to the brown bear. Last time i ticked the box to keep me online permanently and the system did so but I think I should do this only to login each day, not during an individual session.
Stefano

akashdoulani

Post by akashdoulani » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 12:18 pm

i had the same problem while submitting. after typing my answers when i submitted , i was asked to login again. after logging in , i had to retype the answers again. moreover there was no timer , so couldnt keep the check of timing. but overall it was a good experience

akashdoulani

Post by akashdoulani » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 12:20 pm

but it was mentioned that u will only be awarded points if u answer all 4 classics.

akashdoulani

Post by akashdoulani » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 12:21 pm

how do i know my score?

purifire

Post by purifire » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 1:30 pm

detuned wrote:Thanks again Fred, I'm afraid I can't take any credit for the wonderful technological job Alan has done on this whole project...i hope you enjoyed the puzzles though :)
Wonderful contest and really well thought out puzzles.... great job Tom.... the website worked without a glitch for me.... except the fact that my 3 month old son decided to wake up and stop my participation 25 minutes before end of time.... lol

Great job overall guys...

Rishi (purifire)
Logicmastersindia.com