Online UK Open Championships 28th April to 6th May

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
GarethMoore

Online UK Open Championships 28th April to 6th May

Post by GarethMoore » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 12:19 pm

The UK Open Sudoku and UK Open Puzzle Tournaments will simultaneously be run online, alongside the on-site competitions. Contest instructions and details are at http://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php

These competitions contain puzzles very kindly contributed by a wide range of puzzle authors, including (in alphabetical order):
  • Alberto Fabris
    Andrey Bogdanov
    Anuraag Sahay
    Clarity Media
    David Millar
    Deb Mohanty
    Gabriele Simionato
    Gareth Moore
    Grant Fikes
    Palmer Mebane
    Philipp Hubner
    Puzzler Media Ltd
    Rishi Puri
    Sinchai Rungsangrattanakul
    Tawan Sunathvanichkul
    Thomas Snyder
    Vexus Puzzle Design
    Vladimir Portugalov
PUZZLE TOURNAMENT
There are five rounds to the Puzzle tournament, of 30, 60, 45, 30 and 60 minutes. These will become available on the 28th and 29th of April, in the schedule described in the instruction book and on the tournament page. Once they are published you will have 1 week to complete the rounds. Each round can be started at a time of your choosing during that week, but if you take the rounds during the on-site tournament your results will also be visible to on-site competitors.

SUDOKU TOURNAMENT
There are three rounds to the Sudoku tournament, of 30, 90 and 45 minutes. These will also become available on the 28th and 29th of April, and again you will have 1 week to complete the rounds. Each round can be started at a time of your choosing during that week, but if you take the rounds during the on-site tournament your results will also be visible to on-site competitors.

INSTRUCTIONS
Instruction booklets have been published for on-site competitors elsewhere on this forum. Instructions for online competitors can be found at http://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php - these include details of the online entry keys and scoring.

TEAM SELECTION
Please note for eligible UK competitors that you CANNOT qualify for the UK WSC or UK WPC teams via this online competition - only on-site competitors in Manchester are eligible. There will be places for each team available in other online tournaments later this year.

david mcneill

Re: Online UK Open Championships 28th April to 6th May

Post by david mcneill » Thu 19 Apr, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks Gareth. That's great news. I will be away during the weekend itself (youth club weekend!!), so I'm really glad you're keeping online solving open for a week.

David.

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Sun 22 Apr, 2012 12:15 am

The on-site instruction booklets were published yesterday in the following two threads:
Sudoku: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=576
Puzzle: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=574

Online instruction books are at http://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 22 Apr, 2012 9:18 am

A version of the IB with answer key instructions will be available on the contest page soon.

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 12:23 am

The online instruction booklets are now published on the contest pages at http://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php and I have updated the announcement above to reflect this.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:14 pm

Not sure if you're intending to compare the on-site results with the online results in any way?
The time needed for onliners to print out the questions and then calculate, enter and submit the answer keys will add up to a few extra minutes, which might be more noticeable in the speed 30 minute rounds.
So we could add on 2 minutes for online competitors? Or just say that is the penalty they pay for not travelling to Manchester!

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:24 pm

kiwijam wrote:Not sure if you're intending to compare the on-site results with the online results in any way?
The time needed for onliners to print out the questions and then calculate, enter and submit the answer keys will add up to a few extra minutes, which might be more noticeable in the speed 30 minute rounds.
So we could add on 2 minutes for online competitors? Or just say that is the penalty they pay for not travelling to Manchester!
The scores won't be directly comparable, it's true. I think it's only possible to compare them 'for fun', not for a serious ranking comparison. In fact, that's why only on-site competitors can qualify for the UK WPC and WSC teams.

There are some potential speed advantages to being at home, mind. You can print multiple copies, for a start, which might help with rapid guesses if you choose to go that way on some puzzles. Plus some people prefer their own environment to a competition setting with all its potential distractions. And despite trying to minimise the effect, the nature of keys is inevitably going to be that sometimes you won't need to fully complete a puzzle, if you're so minded, to obtain the key; and occasionally by luck you'll get more lenience on the accuracy of your solutions too, so I think overall the advantages and disadvantages will balance out. It will be interesting to see if any more general conclusions can be reached after the event.

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 7:24 am

Have studied the Sudoku instruction booklet. Lovely production with good variety of puzzles. Several of the examples are seriously hard, even in the sprint round. Hoping for gentler fare in the real thing.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 8:05 pm

david mcneill wrote:Have studied the Sudoku instruction booklet. Lovely production with good variety of puzzles. Several of the examples are seriously hard, even in the sprint round. Hoping for gentler fare in the real thing.
I quite agree - as this is the first competitive sudoku championship for me, am seriously concerned about showing myself up. Really hoping for no "not noticing I'd filled in 8 out of 9 in one row/column/area" experiences.

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks for this 1rst round ! Very good classic sudokus !
30 minutes is a very short time for online test. With printing and writing codes, it seems that there is no time to solve grids ! :mrgreen:

Fred

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 4:05 pm

There will now be no puzzle 3:9 - the first Country Road in round 3 of the puzzle championship, since the puzzle prepared for the competition has turned out to be broken.

I have delayed the start of the third puzzle round online until Monday when I am back from the on-site tournament in Manchester and am able to edit the puzzle PDF booklet, so that nobody is disadvantaged by not reading of this change. The 4th and 5th rounds will still be available as previously announced.

sknight

Post by sknight » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 4:32 pm

Fred76 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for this 1rst round ! Very good classic sudokus !
30 minutes is a very short time for online test. With printing and writing codes, it seems that there is no time to solve grids ! :mrgreen:

Fred
Oh, I dunno, the choice of clue rows in a few puzzles sort of made up for that 8-)

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:14 pm

The third round of the Puzzle Championship will be available online from 5:30pm today (18 minutes from now as I write).

Please be sure you have downloaded the updated puzzle PDF before you start. (Puzzle 3:9 is now crossed out - I have left the page in in order to avoid confusion for those who have not read that the puzzle has been removed and might otherwise think it was missing). The password will NOT open the old version of the puzzle PDF.

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:03 pm

I apologise for the slow handling of key submission issues due to the fact that I was away in Manchester over the weekend.

All missing points should now have been awarded. If you are still missing points you believe you deserve, please use the comment option at the bottom of the results page for the relevant round and I will sort it out. Please don't post specific queries here, in case they provide information for those who have not yet competed.

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Tue 01 May, 2012 7:07 am

Thanks to Gareth and everyone else involved for a very enjoyable online sudoku championship - hopefully I'll be able to attend in person next time.

Best wishes,
David

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Tue 01 May, 2012 7:26 am

Just to say that I thought the puzzles in the Sudoku competition were very enjoyable. Can't say much more here, but came to my office late last night to compete. During round 2, I was interrupted several times by Queen's University security, and was kicked out altogether at some stage of round 3. So much for trying to use a fast printer.

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Tue 01 May, 2012 7:43 am

david mcneill wrote:Just to say that I thought the puzzles in the Sudoku competition were very enjoyable. Can't say much more here, but came to my office late last night to compete. During round 2, I was interrupted several times by Queen's University security, and was kicked out altogether at some stage of round 3. So much for trying to use a fast printer.
Ah, I wondered what had happened when I saw you hadn't done any puzzles after a certain point in! You were doing really well too. :> If you haven't yet looked at them, email me a list of which ones you complete in the remaining time you had left and, while they won't be included in the official online results, I'll put a footnote to the extra points you should have had in the informal overall UK results table. You had just over 26 minutes left after your last submission.

tamz29

Post by tamz29 » Sun 06 May, 2012 3:37 pm

I was wondering how you'd make the answer keys (for online solving) for the word search - since I didn't have the 'find the missing word' kinda thing going on.
And then I saw 'write the direction of the first four words found'. I had to laugh :lol: Very sneaky.

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Mon 07 May, 2012 1:09 pm

This tournament has now closed for entries, but of course all of the rounds will remain available for download so you can try out the puzzles in your own time.

The full results will be published in the next 24 hours.