LMI September Puzzle Test - EverGreens II

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
debmohanty

LMI September Puzzle Test - EverGreens II

Post by debmohanty » Tue 31 Aug, 2010 9:34 am

Logic Masters India announces September Puzzle Test 'EverGreen II'.

IB & Submission Link : http://logicmastersindia.com/M201009P

Date - 4th and 5th September

Hope to see you all participate and enjoy these classic set of puzzles!

debmohanty

Re: LMI September Puzzle Test - EverGreens II

Post by debmohanty » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 2:58 am

The test has started.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 2:30 pm

Enjoyable! Definitely more accessible than the WPC qualifier and more to my taste as a result. I am glad that people set timed tests catering to all levels of difficulty; the international class solvers here will enjoy it as a sprint, when I enjoyed it as being about as challenging as I would care for.

I have set a low bar with an 85, which would have been 110 were I able to recognise and count turns in a grid correctly. Ahem.

debmohanty

Post by debmohanty » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 4:02 pm

dickoon wrote:Enjoyable! Definitely more accessible than the WPC qualifier and more to my taste as a result. I am glad that people set timed tests catering to all levels of difficulty; the international class solvers here will enjoy it as a sprint, when I enjoyed it as being about as challenging as I would care for.

I have set a low bar with an 85, which would have been 110 were I able to recognise and count turns in a grid correctly. Ahem.
Thank you for you feedback. It was our aim to have some very easy and some easy puzzles so that every player should be able to solve some puzzles. Of course, as you mentioned, top solvers should challenge themselves to complete in 80 minutes, which is not impossible.
About counting mistakes - I checked the answers you have submitted. Really unfortunate to miss a turn here or there.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 4:33 pm

I look forward to gaining a bit of redemption with this one :)

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 7:11 pm

Or not. 4 dickhead errors in entry keys (+1 genuine mistake), and 3 puzzles I simply neglected to enter. Brought me down from 282 to a pitiful 135. What with the footy too, not been a great day :\

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 8:15 pm

Wow! That was intense.

487 for me. Quite chuffed with that.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 11:52 pm

Wow yeah, I bet that's a total that'll probs be top 20, maybe even 10 - great effort!

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 5:51 am

detuned wrote:Wow yeah, I bet that's a total that'll probs be top 20, maybe even 10 - great effort!
Well it won't trouble the Tom and Ulrichs of this world, but fingers crossed. Sprints like this tend to be one of my stronger rounds in WPCs.

I'd recommend this competition highly - loads of classic puzzles, the majority being fairly straightforward. A lot of fun

debmohanty

Post by debmohanty » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 5:54 am

drsteve wrote:
Well it won't trouble the Tom and Ulrichs of this world, but fingers crossed. Sprints like this tend to be one of my stronger rounds in WPCs.

I'd recommend this competition highly - loads of classic puzzles, the majority being fairly straightforward. A lot of fun
Steve, 487 is indeed a good score. you are ranked 9 right now. But Ulrich is yet to take the test. But you never know.
Thanks for recommending the test.

Maxelkat

Post by Maxelkat » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 6:58 am

Oh dear.
Combination of getting up at the crack of dawn to try the test (only spare time I have!), and still not being used to solving puzzles against the clock (I think I need a more heuristic approach to many puzzles - usually I would solve puzzles in pen only, and only put something in if it was definite, but against the clock I need to take more chances I think), but I struggled on these. I only got one group bonus (group A), and didn't even reach group E. I'm still meeting puzzles for the first time, which is a problem, as I take a while to get my head around new puzzles.
So overall, a disappointing 127 points.

PS How do I actually rate the puzzles? There are various things telling me to rate them, but I don't know where or how. I'm probably just being thick, or it might be a browser thing (I'm a Chrome man).

debmohanty

Post by debmohanty » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 9:54 am

Maxelkat wrote:Oh dear.
Combination of getting up at the crack of dawn to try the test (only spare time I have!), and still not being used to solving puzzles against the clock (I think I need a more heuristic approach to many puzzles - usually I would solve puzzles in pen only, and only put something in if it was definite, but against the clock I need to take more chances I think), but I struggled on these. I only got one group bonus (group A), and didn't even reach group E. I'm still meeting puzzles for the first time, which is a problem, as I take a while to get my head around new puzzles.
So overall, a disappointing 127 points.

PS How do I actually rate the puzzles? There are various things telling me to rate them, but I don't know where or how. I'm probably just being thick, or it might be a browser thing (I'm a Chrome man).
127 is not that bad, if it is your first try at puzzles.
About rating the puzzles - In the submission page, under the puzzle name there are 5 dots. By clicking on any dot, you can rate a puzzle from 1 to 5. [ You can hover your mouse over the mouse to see what each dot means.]
I understand that it is not very obvious way - but we wanted minimum distraction while submission - so didn't make the dots larger or didn't put stars etc.
You can rate the puzzles any time after you complete the test. You can even rate a puzzle, even if you didn't solve it during the test.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 11:05 am

Just the one incorrect answer key, so a mediocre 296 from me.

Oh, excellent contest by the way - I'll finish it all off later ;)

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 3:01 pm

First time I've tried an LMI contest, definitely won't be the last! 265 is about my level, I think - 295 if I hadn't overlooked ONE empty square in the Masyu - d'oh! :-)

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 3:28 pm

I've started a practice now of spending the last five minutes checking my answer keys - paid off in the USPC.

This time I hadn't made any mistakes in the key, but it gave me the confidence that they were right. Not convinced I could have knocked off one of the remainder in the time - possibly Half-Domino, but I tend to avoid these, so although I did it pretty quickly after the fact, I'm not sure in a timed competition I would have chosen it.

By the way, spoiler in case anyone hasn't done it yet....

... but did anyone else find Polymino much, much harder and time consuming than anything else on the test. I didn't spend any time on it in the competition, but it probably took me about 15 minutes later on, and that needed a guess to find the answer.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 5:11 pm

OK, chaps, while modesty is a good thing, I was actually quite pleased with my score of 85. It's very far from world class, and I offer sincere congratulations to those of you who have done much better, but I enjoyed the test even at my unaccomplished level and was quite happy to be able to solve any of the puzzles at all.

Accordingly, when some of you are dismissive about your own scores - which seem highly impressive to me - then you're inadvertently being very dismissive of mine. I hope that the UKPA will support puzzlers at all levels of attainment, though obviously the international competition aspect is definitely (and correctly) geared towards the elite. There's no evidence to suggest it's happened yet, but I wouldn't like to be a new solver seeing these score discussions and having personal-best, but relatively low, acheivements disparaged.

They're only puzzles; at the end of the day, you're competing with yourself and the puzzle setter. There is no pass-fail aspect to it, particularly on tests which don't have national selection implications; everyone sets their own targets and nobody does actually badly.

Rant over, for now,
Chris

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 5:21 pm

My apologies Chris if my posts came over the wrong way. You are quite right, we do need to be attracting as many puzzlers as possible of all levels to this board and I do hope my posts don't come across as boasting or showing off.

Please understand though that I am building up to the WPC and, being in a job where it is out of my control whether I can attend in any particular year, I am hoping to achieve a good result and not let myself down as in previous years. As such, anything that seems to indicate that I may be moving in the right direction tends to over-excite me in a way but also, I feel, is a useful indication to the rest of the team of something to aim at. We've a strong team of individuals this year and it's important to get some dialogue going before we meet up in Poland. I appreciate feedback from all of my fellow UK puzzlers in order to improve.

I'll try and rein it my overexuberance in future, and again, I apologise if I've annoyed you or anyone else out there in Puzzleland, but I do need to be critical of myself in order to push myself further and hopefully crack the top 40.

Steve

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 5:42 pm

I echo Steve's sentiments. My 'mediocre' comment was purely in comparison to Steve's ridiculously outstanding score. Apologies to Chris Thingyson, and all aspiring puzzle solvers out there ;)

Maxelkat

Post by Maxelkat » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 5:57 pm

I too would like to apologise if my comments were in any way insensitive or tactless. It's true that I'm disappointed with my own score, but that is only because I felt that maybe I was capable of getting more points. It is right and proper that puzzlers of all levels should be made to feel welcome, and have their personal achievements lauded.
Elliott.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 6:02 pm

From my perspective, the annoyance with my score was mainly from throwing way over half of it away. I think my self-kicking here is entirely justified. I also think that rating your own score is entirely relative to where you think you ought to be. In that respect I think that it's a good thing that we have people on the boards looking to really improve UK performance - and part of the way forward here is a little healthy competitive spirit. Of course there is a balance to be had here with regards to intimidating newcomers, but, being a relative newcomer to more generalised puzzles myself(as opposed to sudoku) my own advice is to stick at it with the various competitions, and watch as your results gradually improve.

What I do is view what seem to be utterly unobtainable scores (like Steve's great effort) now as a good target to aim for in the future!

Steve - I thought the Polynomino wasn't too bad - a little time consuming but I found the logic perfectly accessible. I'll discuss further after the deadline passes...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks, everyone; honour is more than adequately satisifed here. I was probably being a bit touchy.

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 10:07 am

Congratulations Steve on an excellent performance. Great to see so many other UK puzzlers giving it a go. I was happy with my score (401) at the time and pleased later to see a UK competitor out ahead of me. I don't think there is any harm in comparing scores under a "Puzzle Competitions" heading.

I found the Number Pyramid particularly annoying and lost a lot of time on that one puzzle. I don't know whether anyone else thinks I made a meal of it. Any suggestions on how best to tackle it?

I also lost a bit of time printing out the puzzles and getting used to the answer keys. I suppose I should have been better prepared.

Finally, I adopted a start at the front and solve everything in order strategy (apart from my print settings grrr!!). Was this the best strategy?

All the best everyone,

David McNeill.

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 10:18 am

david mcneill wrote:I found the Number Pyramid particularly annoying and lost a lot of time on that one puzzle. I don't know whether anyone else thinks I made a meal of it. Any suggestions on how best to tackle it?
I won't walk through it at this stage, but I reckon the key points are:

* remember that it's ALL DIFFERENT digits on the bottom row
* no adjacent squares on the same level can have the same digit if it's greater than 4
* addition/subtraction causes odd/even parity effects.

See if that helps... :-)

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 10:24 am

* remember that it's ALL DIFFERENT digits on the bottom row
I only did this one after time. Interestingly, I had the answer key quite a while before the bottom row was completed.
A better answer key might have been 'enter digits along the bottom row'! (Yes, it was a 10-15 min slog though)

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 10:29 am

PuzzleScot wrote:A better answer key might have been 'enter digits along the bottom row'!
I think that was one element of the answer key, wasn't it?