Dates : 10th - 12th March
Length : 120 minutes
IB and Submission Link : http://logicmastersindia.com/M201203S/
Author : Frédéric Stalder

Nilz

Re: Diagonal Vision — LMI March Sudoku Test — 10th-12th Marc

Post by Nilz » Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks Fred, some nice puzzles in there. And some frustrating ones too. :x
I was asked if I was as good at Sudoku as I seem to be at the other puzzles. The results of this test will give you your answer. :roll:
I did better before I had a printer. ;)

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 10:55 pm

I can't see the results of the test yet (I'm unfortunately not taking part) but I wouldn't get too disheartened Neil. A lot of sudoku is down to practice, and being comfortable with various constraints. I've had a brief look at the the instructions and you'd be surprised how much subtlety and variance you can pack into the various "diagonals" you have there. Perhaps these aren't the most helpful precedents to bring up, but I've certainly noticed Palmer improve his classic sudoku times on nikoli in recent months (there's certainly no want for practice there, by the way!) and Ulrich proved with the Beijing tournament that there's really no such thing as a sudoku/puzzle divide.

I'd be fairly confident you'll crack sudoku sooner rather later!

MellowMelon

Post by MellowMelon » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 8:08 pm

That said, since I find doing classic sudoku such a chore and I therefore don't ever intend to put in the needed practice, I'm not expecting to be a podium finisher at a WSC or BIST in the near future. (I recall that Ulrich said something similar, but don't remember where or when.) I spent a couple months last year going from bad to average to stop it from killing my LMI performances, but I don't think I'm going to do much more. I have no explanation for some of my recent nikoli.com times, except that one of them was because I made an unintentional yet really lucky bifurcation 30 seconds in.

Fred76

Post by Fred76 » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 9:55 pm

Nilz wrote: I was asked if I was as good at Sudoku as I seem to be at the other puzzles. The results of this test will give you your answer. :roll:
mmmm, we can't have a good answer considering only one test. If you want to prove us that you're a bad sudoku player, please take part in more sudoku test :twisted: !

Same thing for Palmer, who didn't take part in a LMI sudoku test this year. Who knows, perhaps you became much more stronger than last year ! :mrgreen: