Updates from Eger

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Updates from Eger

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 07 Nov, 2011 8:54 pm

Tom Collyer is posting on his blog: http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/tcollyer

Tom Snyder (USA) also at: http://motris.livejournal.com/

If you know of any others, please post links here...

dickoon

Re: Updates from Eger

Post by dickoon » Mon 07 Nov, 2011 8:59 pm

logic-masters.de's forum has apparently been hacked (German language, obv.) so berni has kindly rushed an emergency forum up. (Thanks, Berni!) There are a couple of quick reports from front-runners. Nothing at LMI yet, as far as I can tell.

rodders

Post by rodders » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 10:53 am

Updates on the forum at LMI - http://logicmastersindia.com/forum/foru ... 5928#M5928

And some results from Day 1:

Individuals - http://users.atw.hu/rejtveny/wscwpc/wsc-individual.pdf
Team - http://users.atw.hu/rejtveny/wscwpc/wsc-team.pdf

Well done all, especially David and Tom!

Not sure which UN team the GBR-B team is though.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 11:06 am

rodders wrote:Not sure which UN team the GBR-B team is though.
Pretty sure it's UN-06, based on the individual results.

Go, teams!

rodders

Post by rodders » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 12:02 pm

You are quite correct - it actually lists the team on the individual scoresheet - I missed that! :oops:

Particular congratulations to David as it looks like he was leading after Part 1 - very impressive!

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 12:22 pm

The scores have been updated with the results of Round 8. Another very good round for David and Tom!

berni

Post by berni » Tue 08 Nov, 2011 6:52 pm

Results from the final:

1. Thomas Snyder (started in the finals as 1st)
2. Kota Morinishi (started as 4th)
3. Tiit Vunk (started as 3rd)
4. Hideaki Jo (started as 9th)
5. Florian Kirch (started as 5th)

berni

Post by berni » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:17 am

The results are out (see contest page).

Teamwinner ist Germany, second Chech and third USA. The UK-Team is place 14.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 11:06 am

Greetings from Eger!

Emma was last UK team to arrive, around 10pm last night, but we're all here safe and sound.
Nice to see lots of familiar faces, and put faces to names, especially for the large British contingent...

A late night for many last night - solving the last few difficult Sudokus from the WSC that's just finished.

Walking tour of Eger, and its castle this morning - beautiful town in autumn colours on a glorious day.
Lunch now, then a coach trip this afternoon. More later - puzzles to do...

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 11:17 am

Ah, I remember the walking tour of Eger from last time round, and being introduced to the City of Culture logo that was the solution to a first round Paint It Black puzzle (hinthint - eyes peeled!) - good times! Enjoy the gathering and do the best you can do with the puzzles you're given!

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 8:11 pm

It's surprising that the otherwise very strong Chinese team only scored 21, between them, in Round 2. I wonder if they were unable to get a satisfactory translation of the rules and so missed the adjacency criterion altogether?

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:22 pm

day of day trips / hungry in Hungary

Coach trip after lunch. Seemed to be quite a long way - expectations were rising proportionally to time spent on the bus. Just as the sun was setting, we arrived at a cave complex. oh well. 3/4 way round, sound and light show on the least unspectacular stalagmites, followed by a surprise presentation of the WSC trophies! Not only the first presentation 'outside', but the first (and quite likely ONLY) speliological presentations! Team photos were taken in an adjacent smaller cave...

Another 2 hours in the coach, and very much hungry in Hungary, we are dumped in a town (which we HOPE is Eger) to walk up a hill to a cavern-style restaurant. Moderate quality food, with copious local wine before 'find your own way' back to the hotel. (so we ARE in Eger after all - phew!)

Puzzles proper tomorrow - must go join in team discussions - there might just be something we haven't yet covered. All feeling well-prepared, except for the borderless round, and perhaps the team 'naval' round. More tomorrow...

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Thu 10 Nov, 2011 12:44 pm

Quick update. Morning puzzles done. A-team appear to be keeping ahead of the B-team, and everyone performing much as expected. Early days yet.
Good puzzles spoiled by having a giant countdown timer in the room, but that's competition environment for you!
Looking forward to enjoying the unfinished puzzles later. In the meantime, the dreaded borderless round is up next, with the 'lovely' naval team round later this afternoon.
Just the one broken puzzle so far. Shame, since there were no problems from the organisers for any puzzle in the WSC.
Mike Colloby and David Collison left this morning, so just die-hard puzzlers left now....

Sprits are high, expectations are low, and the sun is shining - a perfect formula...

berni

Post by berni » Thu 10 Nov, 2011 2:05 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:Sprits are high, expectations are low, and the sun is shining - a perfect formula...
Changed a little bit it's (formally) a japanese haiku (which some people consider perfect):

The spirits are high,
The expectations are low,
The sun is shining.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 8:01 am

Thomas says that our own Neil Zussman is in tenth place after day one! Many, many congratulations, Neil, and keep up the great work today!

danmoore

Post by danmoore » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 8:13 pm

For anyone interested, here is the link to the individual performances @ WPC which I found after clicking around trying to find some updates:

http://users.atw.hu/rejtveny/wscwpc/wpc-individual.pdf

At time of viewing with rounds 1 - 9 recorded, GB A-team performances are (under the 'official' column):

10th - Neil Zussman
37th - David McNeill
53rd - Tom Collyer
68th - Gareth Moore

Cheers,

Dan

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 8:17 pm

Updates are still thin on the ground, but the latest team and individual results make really, really good reading - far better than we've ever seen before from UK solvers in the past. Yay, everyone, and keep up keeping up the great work!

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 11 Nov, 2011 9:01 pm

Palmer has updated with more scores; Neil is up to eighth after round 11! Very readable updates indeed, too. Thanks, Palmer!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 12:26 am

Apologies for lack of updates...

As I see you already know, we are all very impressed with the A-team's performance (c.10th overall). If you see who they are ahead of, you can appreciate that achievement.
Neil is stunning everyone, including himself! 3 rounds of results to come in, and we're cautiously optimistic of a play-off place for him, especially as he has done 'quite well' in at least 2 of the 3 unmarked rounds. We'll know in the morning...

A mad last round of the tournament - supposedly a 'best of 2011 wpc...', but it was all the puzzles they hadn't been able to squeeze in elsewwhere - 77 puzzles to do in 60 minutes! (a flat 10 points/puzzle) I'd never heard of a marathon sprint. oh well. Seemed to do Neil some favours, completing at least 45 of them!

One last team round in the morning (why?!), then it's all eyes on the final individual results!
Some of us are still sitting up finishing uncompleted puzzles from today's events.
Photos will be available shortly after we get home - I've taken a few.
Bedtime. (well, once I've finished that fiendish ABC-connect)

I'll try to be more prompt with news tomorrow, given the tenterhooks that those following events from afar must be on...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 9:01 am

The results have now been posted to the end of round 14. This means that, subject to protests and remarking, Neil will take the tenth of the ten places in the play-off, and the last round will determine whether the UK A team finishes in eleventh, barring simultaneous UK catastrophe and Russia storm - or, if a massive swing works in our favour, whether we might be able to pip Serbia, France or even the Czech Republic. The B team performances have also been very respectable, with three out of the four finishing above the (unrestricted) bottom quarter, which is pretty comparable to the standard of some of our A teams in the past.

Very well done, everyone! Enjoy round 15 today (oh, it'll have just finished...), the play-offs and the rest of your day!

berni

Post by berni » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 11:14 am

Indiviual results:

1. Palmer Melbane
2. Ulrich Voigt
3. Thomas Snyder
4. Wei-Hwa Huang
5. Hideaki Jo
6. Roland Voigt
7. Peter Hudák

I don't know the exact place of Neil.

Calavera

Post by Calavera » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 12:59 pm

He made it to the final as 10th but I don't know where he finished. I think somewhere between 8-10.

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 1:19 pm

Neil remained in 10th place, but it's a pretty amazing 1st time result!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks Chris for your kind words. We are all done now, in more ways than one! I knew the results would be available somewhere within minutes of the results.
I think Neil was slightly overwhelmed by the attention, and being part of the spectacle that is the play-offs - starting last, albeit by just 16 seconds behind Wei-Hwa, he felt he had to go quicker than usual. It's still an astonishing performance, and is aware that next year he won't have that one-off element of surprise.

The most humorous part of the pre-final preparations was having to explain to Neil what a pentomino set looks like!!

The 2nd most amusing factoid of the day was discovering that Neil doesn't own a printer! Therefore he completed the USPC qualifier using MS paint!!! Roll on 2012.

We now have a free afternoon, some kind of party, maybe more of Gyorgy's surprises, then a 2am departure for me to the airport, with the others getting at least part of a night's sleep. Oh, and best of luck to Liane, who is staying on for the 24Hr. Puzzlemad by name and nature!

Thanks for watching. Plenty photos to load up when we get back.

Nilz

Post by Nilz » Sat 12 Nov, 2011 2:11 pm

Well that certainly went better than it could have done...

Thanks for all the congratulations! I'm certainly glad I was available (and selected!).
The playoff didn't go particularly well, nerves and the pressure of being up against so many great puzzlers got the better of me. But I'm certainly not disappointed with my overall performance, and even if I solved every puzzle in the playoff easily, it still would have been practically impossible to catch the leaders- they were all on top form, well done to all of them, especially Palmer.

It was pointed out to me that Palmer *only* came 19th on his debut, so here's hoping I can improve as much as he has...

Finally, I want to clarify that I knew what the pentominos looked like, I just got a bit confused about the names- N and Z could easily be the other way round.