hungarian championships

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
sf2l

hungarian championships

Post by sf2l » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 1:40 am

the site of the wpcwsc championship has the link to the PDF of the recent contest. Some nice diagrams to be used as training.
it includes a new interesting sudoku with half cells attributed to Zoltan Horvath
it also includes in the 6th round (an interesting set of interconnected diagrams) a new puzzle called SHADOWS which I have never seen before. unfortunately there is no instruction booklet so I am a bit lost, can anyone point me in the right direction please.
the diagrans can be dowloaded from the championship website, in the FAQ section

stefano

david mcneill

Re: hungarian championships

Post by david mcneill » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 9:11 am

Apart from the lack of instructions, I couldn't print out the puzzles. They are too big for an A4 page.

I also couldn't read the Hungarian results. Anyone else having the same problems?

Have solved parts 1-3 so far and the puzzles are a joy.

sf2l

Post by sf2l » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 9:51 am

me too, problems with the results.
printed the pdf all right but i could have done with a A3 printer, but I only printed part 6

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 10:54 am

The results files (xls) are only 800 bytes in size - ie, they are effectively empty. (but seem to contain a placeholder image when opened)
The Contest PDFs seem to be fine. Like Stefano, I've only printed part 6 so far. It sounds like your print settings need adjusted - Try choosing 'shrink to fit' on the pop-up print dialogue.
[edit: I think now that you are referring to the print size being small (agreed!), so ignore that comment!]

sf2l

Post by sf2l » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 9:06 pm

Gyorgy sent me an email explaining what SHADOWS is.
classical conceptis puzzle called sometimes MOSAIC. a digit in a cell indicates how many of the surrounding cells, including itself, should be blackened
enjoy.
stefano

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 9:33 am

I thought aside from part 6, print sizes were acceptable (although I've always preferred slightly larger puzzles). Thanks for the shadows instructions. Can anyone tell me the rules to capsules though?

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 10:52 am

detuned wrote:Can anyone tell me the rules to capsules though?
I believe - put numbers 1,2 and 3 in each of the capsules so that they each appear the same number of times in each row and column. Same numbers can not touch by the sides.

sknight

Post by sknight » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 11:59 am

A note (obvious from the example, but not from the instructions/title) on "Multiplication Table" from part 5:
I know it's called "Multiplication Table", but we're talking about SUMS not products. (These are pretty nifty little puzzles, too).

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 7:21 pm

yeah, I thought that "multiplication table" was really nice! And thanks Liane, I'll give that a shot later this evening. I was coming up with all sorts of vaguely plausible rules - such as adjacent capsules couldn't have the same permutations - but kept breaking it. Equal numbers of 1's 2's and 3's sounds not only sounds plausible and sensible, but is presumably not too big a constraint as to actually break the thing!

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 7:15 am

Just re-read my instruction for capsules and not sure whether it is clear that you have to put all three numbers into each capsule, not just one per capsule.

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 10:30 am

Well whatever the pedantic details are, my interpretation of the rules not only worked, but also then provided sensible data to then solve the snake.

Nilz

Post by Nilz » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 7:50 pm

Capsules I think is also known as Tatami, a puzzle I've seen in an Italian book. English rules are pretty much what everyone has already guessed:
http://www.puzzler.com/Puzzles-encyclopedia/Tatami.htm
http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/tatami-help-plz-t6038.html