UKPA Puzzle Cruise (2-3 July 2011)

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
GaS

Re: UKPA Puzzle Cruise (2-3 July) ** started **

Post by GaS » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 11:57 am

Ok, tanks very much to both PuzzleScot and GarethMoore.
My misunderstanding was in thinking that “all” the arrows were used (somehow) in the solution, now it’s all clear.

Gabriele

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 2:31 pm

Addendum (30/6/11 15:25). Puzzle #13 (Digital Futoshiki): It appears there is more than one correct answer for this puzzle. All answer keys for this will be checked manually. Any that are part of a valid solution will of course receive full credit.

First post updated.

Para

Post by Para » Sun 03 Jul, 2011 12:21 am

Fun set of puzzles. Pentomino pool was my favourite. I always enjoy pentomino and anglers puzzles so this was a fun combination for me. And I didn't mess up the counting puzzle, so that's a bonus.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 03 Jul, 2011 10:49 am

Please do not discuss the puzzles, however innocently, until the contest deadline. Thank-you.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 04 Jul, 2011 9:31 am

All done.

Ulrich Voigt is the overall winner - He was also the only person to score 100% within time! (30s to spare). Well done uvo!!

Full results will be available as soon as we've finished checking the marking...
All answer keys that were entered, with points given, are summarised (live) here: http://www.ukpuzzles.org/scores_summary.php?contestid=8
If anyone can see any inconsistencies or errors, let me know asap.

Contestants can check personal scores on their results page (http://www.ukpuzzles.org/results.php?contestid=8)

Marking notes:
For #11 (Giant Octopus), each pair given earned +/-5 points, with a minimum total score of -5.
For answers with multiple parts, if one or more parts were missing, 0 was scored (not -5)

Tawan and I hope you enjoyed this contest.

You can freely discuss the puzzles now on the forum if you wish...

NikolaZ

Post by NikolaZ » Mon 04 Jul, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks to the author and organizers, and also congrats to Ulrich for the perfect score. My result is 295 because in last half an hour I didn't found all hidden pairs in the picture. :cry: After the competition wife's sister found the last pair very fast. :oops: Obviously I do not read children's magazines.

This was very good training for the USPC, although I think that the puzzles were at least 40 percent lighter than the last USPC. I hope that finally this year I will not mess up that test.

Nikola

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 04 Jul, 2011 2:06 pm

Thank-you Nikola. Shame about that last matching pair!

Since no-one has disagreed with any of the marking, results table is now available.

For the British entries, Steven Barge came out on top with 170. Well done Steve.
Several players were notable by their absence (thoroughly understandable, as it has been pretty busy on the puzzling front recently).
Also of interest - Simon Anthony had 'technical issues', so had to submit his answers to me by email... for an unofficial 175.

tamz29

Post by tamz29 » Mon 04 Jul, 2011 3:26 pm

Puzzle Cruise has ended!
This is my first online competition and I’m greatly honoured that many famous puzzlers participated in this contest. I learned numerous valuable lessons in puzzle construction which will definitely aid me in improving my puzzle quality in the future. I owe big thanks to UKPA: Mike, who passed on my imagination of the test, Alan, for the infinite amount of work that he had done hosting the cruise, Nick and Liane, for the necessary test-solving which I lacked.

I apologize about the one broken puzzle that escaped into the test and hope there were enough good puzzles to keep everyone entertained.

motris

Post by motris » Mon 04 Jul, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks for putting together these puzzles. It was very good practice for the USPC.

(And I learned I should not try to solve these tests when it is 38 degrees outside and over 31 inside my apartment. I was a bit slow, but also was solving different puzzles. On Aquarium Display I stopped when I had all but one word entered, as the USPC sometimes does, and my "missing word" answer was certainly not what you wanted. On the Ship Sudoku, I started solving them the way I write them since I was credited; but I don't use given numbers as ship segments. Obviously I should have read over the instructions more carefully in places.)

The puzzle quality seemed fine, and very good in places, but again I'm going to quibble a lot with the graphic presentation. A square is a quadrilateral with just right angles and all 4 sides of equal length. These tests are good at getting the right angle part, but there is no way the cells in about 7 or 8 of these puzzles are squares. Maybe I'm alone in complaining about formatting like this, but when I see how nice the Sudoku looks - both squares and clean fonts - I know there are some templates that work and we just need the rest to get to the same level. The worst puzzle formatting was on the KakurOH. You MUST use the slash notation for every clue, or at least position the horizontal clues and vertical clues in different spots in those cells. There were a lot of phantom clues in there.

Still, thanks for sharing these puzzles and congrats to Ulrich and Nikola.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: UKPA Puzzle Cruise (2-3 July 2011)

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 04 Jul, 2011 7:40 pm

This contest was all Tawan's work, 100%.
For his first contest (first of many, I hope), I think he did an absolutely tremendous job! 8-)

Like all of us, we will learn where improvements can be made for future contests, so constructive feedback is welcomed.
I'm afraid there wasn't time to fully implement the lessons learned from last weekend's UKPC into this contest, but I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway, and hope to see you for future contests we will undoubtedly be hosting ;)

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 11:25 am

motris wrote:The worst puzzle formatting was on the KakurOH. You MUST use the slash notation for every clue, or at least position the horizontal clues and vertical clues in different spots in those cells. There were a lot of phantom clues in there.
I'm glad you said that because I thought I was dumb - I spent several minutes trying to make both horizontal rows in the middle add up to 10. Eventually I noticed the 27 floating off to the left. Despite being positioned as a down clue I finally realised it was meant to be an across clue.

I thought it was a fantastic test though, and I really enjoyed the mix of puzzles. I particularly like the yacht shape in the Yajilin givens, although I didn't realise that was it was until afterwards!

On a separate note, how do you solve the Bermuda Triangle? I can narrow the options down to a couple of choices and use trial and error to choose between those, but is there a clean way all the way through? I noticed it was skipped quite a bit looking at a few random results.

standupcanada

Post by standupcanada » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 1:01 pm

For the Triangle - the bottom right of the given 8 needs to be a 4 to allow the 9 to fill out but I went with a 50/50 during the actual competition. Thanks again to the organizers.

tamz29

Post by tamz29 » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 4:18 pm

Sorry about the presentation of some puzzles - most of these were done on paint which explains the comical quality.
I'll find a more realistic program to present the puzzles in the future so if anyone knows anything good I would love to know.
Thank you for all constructive feedbacks.

[[[[[Bermuda Triangle can be solved as follows:
(3 numbers in a sum must be different because the vertices forces them to be unique)
There are two combinations for 8; 125 and 134.
Using 152; the two bottom numbers (linking with 12) must be 1 and 5 (since using 2 and 5 would leave the last unfilled square in the '12' triangle another 5 which violates the unique rule). 2 can then be filled in the top circle of the '8' triangle. And 6 can then be filled in the remaining circle for the '12' triangle and another 6 at the top of the '15' triangle (leaving the bottom two circles in the '15' triangle a 4 and a 5 - with the orders yet unknown). The newly placed 6 on the '15' triangle forces the two remaining circles in the '10' triangle to be a 1 and a 3 (with orders yet unknown).
At this point, the 3rd circle from the left in the bottom row becomes unfillable (since any number would violate the unique rule).

So the only choice to fill the 8 triangle is 134. The overlapping circles with the '12' have to be 3 and 4, so 1 and 5 can be filled in the remaining circles of the '8' and '12' respectively. The top circle of '15' becomes a 5 and two 1s can be placed in the rightmost bottom circle and the left circle of the '9' triangle using unique rule. The remaining two circles of the '9' has to be 6 and 2 (since 5 and 3 would leave the bottom two rows unfillable since there will be no room for 3s) - Similarly, the two remaining circles of '10' has to be 1 and 4 since 2 and 3 would leave the bottom row unfillable due to no possible space for 2. Using unique rule from here would allow all circles to be filled.

It seems long but when you're following this with the puzzle in front of you its quite rapid.]]]]]

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 4:48 pm

I particularly like the yacht shape in the Yajilin givens, although I didn't realise that was it was until afterwards!
I hadn't noticed that one! I'm left with 4 having no nautical theme - Weird calculator; Digital Futoshiki; Consecutive loop & KakurOH. Can you see the others? I liked the H2O clue arrangement in Masyu best myself... Nice.

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 5:09 pm

tamz29 wrote:[[[[[Bermuda Triangle can be solved as follows:]]]]]
Thanks very much for taking the time to post that! In which case that's great, since that's exactly how I did it afterwards. I wondered if there was a way to short cut the "does 125 work?" question. Sometimes I miss very obvious things about puzzles...
PuzzleScot wrote:I hadn't noticed that one!
I noticed because when I initially viewed it as a random layout of givens I presumed it would be easy since at a glance they seemed so untidy. But then it was actually not that easy as Yajilin go, so I was surprised that the givens weren't tidier given it was a good puzzle. Then that surprise led to the observation that there was a reason why they were laid out like that. :) Excellent. I wish Nikoli's Yajilin were that interesting.
PuzzleScot wrote:Masyu H2O
Ha, I hadn't noticed that!

I also thought that Pentomino Pool was an excellent puzzle when I tried it afterwards. Very nice and logical.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 5:20 pm

GarethMoore wrote: I also thought that Pentomino Pool was an excellent puzzle when I tried it afterwards. Very nice and logical.
I was kicking myself for persisting on the Kakuroh when this is a beautiful (and actually quite easy if you see how to start) puzzle. Should have really picked up this and the Triangle... never mind. You live and don't learn...

GarethMoore

Post by GarethMoore » Tue 05 Jul, 2011 5:26 pm

drsteve wrote:
GarethMoore wrote: I also thought that Pentomino Pool was an excellent puzzle when I tried it afterwards. Very nice and logical.
I was kicking myself for persisting on the Kakuroh when this is a beautiful (and actually quite easy if you see how to start) puzzle..
Yes, I was too scared to try it because I thought it might need lots of guessing, but in fact as you imply you can immediately work out which clues are for pentominoes and which are for fish and then from there it all follows very cleanly.