Notation for Sudoku

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
OzerTamer

Notation for Sudoku

Post by OzerTamer » Mon 09 Nov, 2020 11:38 pm

I have developped a notation for Sudoku similar to Chess Notation.
This will provide a common language for sudoku solvers and setters.
The notation uses text and symbols to show THE SOLUTION PATH from beggining to end.
I would like to open it to discussion and get advises to serve better.

SUDOKU_Notation_Proposal_by_Ozer_TAMER_ENGLISH.pdf
x
(186.13 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Below Notation for Sudoku is an example to review and comment.

detuned

Re: Notation for Sudoku

Post by detuned » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 11:30 am

I’m not sure this will catch on. The main criticism i have is is to do with the indexing of cells. I much prefer R5C3 as opposed to 5c. Maybe that’s just what I’m used to.

I also think you need to bear in mind that trying to formalise logical placements using a symbolic language is going to run into difficulties sooner rather than later. One thing to bear in mind that placements tend either to be “hidden” or “naked” - but in fact both are dual to one another (ie a naked pair is the same thing as a hidden 7-tuple).

I think a lot of sudoku solution software already does this very well (ie by describing the removal of candidates and then placements as either hidden or naked singles)

OzerTamer

Post by OzerTamer » Tue 10 Nov, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks for your comments.

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto » Wed 18 Nov, 2020 11:21 am

I am more than skeptical. I also doubt whether anyone is willing to internalize and apply the suggested notation. In principle, an algorithm is needed to solve Sudoku and algorithms are usually described with programming languages. Do we now want to invent a Sudoku programming language?

By the way, for chess there is only a static notation (FEN or FFEN), but not a notation to describe the solution path, for example: »Nf3! (Nh3? h4! and black wins)«.

What I can imagine are function-like annotations (which clearly can't cover all cases), for example in the form »R3C5=4 (x: x1, x2, x3, x4, ...)« with x = "hidden pair" or "x-wing" or whatever and x1, x2, x3, ... are the cells used by x. But again, i doubt that this will be commonly accepted.

OzerTamer

Post by OzerTamer » Thu 19 Nov, 2020 10:54 am

Thanks for your comments. Let me clarify something more. First of all, this is not a computer programming steps. It looks like computer programme, but it is not. It shows steps of solution one by one. It is just for writing on the paper.
Secondly, it is not introducing any solution tricks, methods, but shows tricks and methods in text mode.
It is on very early stage now. I have added to show X-Wing notation later on. An example of X-Wing notation is attached.

I am really greatfull for your comments as one of two person replied my post. 1. Tom Collyer, The Champion, 2. You (Mephisto). Thanks a lot.
Attachments
Sudoku from Cracking The Cryptic_Example_For_X_Wing_Notation_by_OzerTamer.docx
(18.53 KiB) Downloaded 60 times